ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    It looks lit to me! The pilot lamp in the 75S- series receivers doesn't give off a whole lot of illumination. Look at the "half moon" under the meter scale and you will see illumination.

Glen, K9STH
    Thanks a million, Glen, for all your help this past month. Let's hope I get the 32S-1 going as well
    Resistance is not futile; it's voltage divided by current

Nice!. Open the top, get your little screwdriver out, unhook the antenna, and set the S meter Zero with no signal. Something probably changed with time or different components, but it's pretty easy to adjust.

Got the 516F-1 and 32S-1 up and running last night, no smoke!

However, I couldn't get much else going after that. Most of this is probably due to my inexperience with this rig. I hooked the transmitter and receiver together using patch cords that came with them as per the 32S-1 manual, but could not get past the first step, "Initial Checks" where PA plate current is to be set to 40mA via the Bias Adjustment on the PS. No amount of adjusting one way or the other affected the meter at all.

I'll keep reading the instructions and see what to do next, but so far so good, I'm not complaining!

Check and make sure that there is a jumper between the two RCA jacks on the rear of the chassis marked "PA Disable". There is a permanent connection made at the factory that is removed either to neutralize the final amplifier tubes or to use the 62S-1 transverter. If there is no connection between these jacks, either make a jumper using 2-each RCA plugs or else adding a wire on the inside of the unit.

To set the bias, put the transmitter in LSB or USB. Then, turn the microphone gain control all the way down. Finally, key the transmitter with the PTT and then set the bias with the potentiometer that is on the power supply.

If the current on the meter is still zero, then check the bias voltage to make sure that it not only varies but goes down to at least -60 volts.

Glen, K9STH

Ocean Springs, MS (often portable from Moss Point)

Great job, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post

If the current on the meter is still zero, then check the bias voltage to make sure that it not only varies but goes down to at least -60 volts.

Glen, K9STH
    This will be my next step. Installing a jumper didn't help. Still nothing, and the vox relay goes nuts when the transmitter is first turned on.

Since this thread has turned technical, I'll be moving any further topics on this subject to the Boat Anchor Forum!

Thanks to all!

steve

Quote Originally Posted by KF5OYO View Post
    This will be my next step. Installing a jumper didn't help.
    "Jumper!" he said, so jump her I did, that's why I don't work there anymore...
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    "Jumper!" he said, so jump her I did, that's why I don't work there anymore...
    Same thing happened to me once, 'cept she was the one who instructed me. Boom, I was out the door!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2