ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Chirp programming Software...

Hi,
    At our club meeting last night, a fellow brought up a piece of programming software, which works on all platforms, Linux, Mac, and Windows... It uses the same database, for all platforms, so sharing the DB is simple... Has anyone used this software? If so what are your thoughts on it? It can be found at:
    http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

If you have used it, I would be very interested in your experience with it...

73's
    Dave
    For equipment reviews and setups see:
    http://www.nk7z.net

I've used it with my Yaesu VX8-DR to program the memories. It's pretty easy to use and presents a fairly simple front end. It will query and import from repeaterbook.com or rfinder. Imports memories from my HT so I can add/change them, then sends it back to the radio. Had no problem compiling or running it under Fedora 17

From what I have seen, Chirp is good for programming frequencies, etc... However, it doesn't program the radio-specific stuff, like start-up messages, transmit time-out, etc... Just remember, you have to read from the radio first, then create your data file to send the programming back to the radio.

How do you hook up the radio to the computer? I have a USB to mic output cable that came with my iCom 2820H and it didnt seem to get any response from the software or the radio when plugged in. Basically couldnt get the radio to be recognized by the software. I know Chirp supports the icom 2820. All I reall want to do is organize my channels and do a mass import of new repeaters. Any ideas?

Good chance that the Comm Port assigned to the USB cable is different than what Chirp is expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by KB1WNZ View Post
    How do you hook up the radio to the computer? I have a USB to mic output cable that came with my iCom 2820H and it didnt seem to get any response from the software or the radio when plugged in. Basically couldnt get the radio to be recognized by the software. I know Chirp supports the icom 2820. All I reall want to do is organize my channels and do a mass import of new repeaters. Any ideas?
    73, Mike
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Quote Originally Posted by KB1WNZ View Post
    The programming cable for the Icom 2820 is a OPC-478U.
    USB on one end, 3.5mm (1/8th inch) 3 conductor phono plug on the other.
    The radio and the software need to be set to the same port address or it will never work.
    Time to read the manual.
    ACH,
    Member ARRL, SKCC #215, NAQCC #3441, FISTS #11993