ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Quote Originally Posted by KF6ABU View Post
    It's funny when you make fun of people who checked in becuase they wanted to feel important, and somehow you think a "hurricane net", and yourself... are.
    I am not more important than everyone else, just you.
    KY5U - Be a REAL amateur, learn CW.

I posted this is a different thread, but it seems to belong better here:

DX below an ongoing QSO is just too much for some hams to handle in this contest weekend. They "go for it" and are very angry when the QSO covers up the DX responses. Most new hams don't realize the effect of "CB Modulation" on interference to adjacent frequencies. Nowhere is this more evident than contests.

Said "hi" to a friend on 3843khz last night and just listened for a few minutes. This was a collection of one political party talking about their guy in the election, and OF COURSE this was an affront that some peckerwood hams not involved in the conversation could not stomach. They were running a "closed" net requiring check-in with call sign which no idiot ham can resist screwing with. The most humorous was a guy (who didn't give his call) trying to QRM filibuster the net with his opposing diatribe. However, his mike gain was cranked to the max so you could not make out what he was saying, and his signal weak enough that the net went on right over him. He apparently was so stupid, he just kept on like he was the "power puff girl" of his party.

I happen to oppose the views of these people on the net. But here I am, safe and sound, still firm in my beliefs after listening to them for a couple of hours while I surfed the net. What is it about some moronic, peckerwood hams (who in this case shared my candidate for office) that just won't let people have opposing views? It's like their gonads would fall off if they didn't say something?

Bottom line is that having no self-restraint is the number one amateur lack of virtue. It seems like there is a whole group that must have shoveled s#|t in some important person's outhouse for 50 years and how has a brain permanently effected by methane poisoning, or alternately the pent up emotions of an pimply faced 17 year old at the prom without a date.

Here is the take away: You will not die if you exercise self restraint on the ham bands! You will not roll up into a giant mucus ball and be blown out the nose of life into a firey hankie! Your private parts will not shrivel off and be eaten by wolverines. Your eyeballs will not be pecked out by hungry whooping cranes. You will not be scratched off the chalkboard of life with a bowie knife!

Post 'To listen or to call', that is the question..........

Quote Originally Posted by WA4KCN View Post
    Few radio amateurs call CQ today. Instead check into a net - any net.

Natural disasters that include earthquake and volcanic activity, tsunami threats, hurricanes and storms, land slips and flooding are a deadly serious business to us in this region. On the smaller islands, major logistical support is usually days away and has to be brought in from one of the larger territories. Some forty three people (and counting) have already died due to the passage of Hurricane Sandy across Puerto Rico (1), Jamaica (1), Cuba (11), Haiti (29) and the Dominican Republic, Bahamas (1).

http://www.kimt.com/news/world/story...YMA_123iQ.cspx

That is why, the Caribbean Emergency and Weather Net operates a net twice at 1030/2230 UTC daily on 3.815 LSB since 1958.

http:\\cewn.net

I do appreciate the sentiment that a crisis situation demands more 'listening' (so as to be able to correctly copy and relay traffic), as opposed to just checking in from the 'desert'. However, it may surprise you to know the difficulty experienced in Caribbean when some of our neighbours both to the North and the South, indiscriminately talk over our CEWN net controllers or use the 3.815 frequency as a "DUMMY" load.

Any extra HF amplifiers that can be donated will find good homes in the region......ditto for generators and HF radios......

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K
    CEWN Net Mgr. 2011/2012
    j85k.vc@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by KY5U View Post
    I am not more important than everyone else, just you.

If BMI was the indication of importance, then yes, you are far more important

Well, this thread has cheered up me old bones ! Hey this was good for a chuckle. Peckerwood hams, that's a new one, ha ha, and the MVA like people falling on their heads out of a pickup, ha ha. "If i'm not talking I'm not helping, and the bloke who reported that three helicopters have just flown over his house, ha ha ha. A whole group must have shovelled s#)t in some important persons outhouse for 50 years which affected their brains ha ha, oh stop it !

There ought to be a Sandy weekend every week !

Mel G0GQK

Yes, Brain Matter Index is the indication.

Huh.......?

Jerry/N6MEJ

It's pathetic Pat. I live right in the path of the thing and I have been listening to the BS. We will be fine.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

Quote Originally Posted by KY5U View Post
    Said "hi" to a friend on 3843khz last night and just listened for a few minutes.
    For those taking notes, 3843 is the new 14313.
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    For those taking notes, 3843 is the new 14313.
    HUH????

I meet with a group of fine hams every holiday/weekend morning at 6 am on 3843.

Do we have to apply to FCC for a title on that frequency?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast