ad: Retevis-1

QRZ Temporarily Shut Down by Amazon Web Services Outage

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Our cloud services provider, Amazon.com, suffered some kind of big network failure this morning, knocking hundreds of websites offline, including QRZ. The outage lasted about 2.5 hours and it looks like the worst of it may be behind us.

You can read more about it here, at <a href="http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/22/aw...t-heroku-reddit-and-others-heroku-still-down/">TechCrunch.com<a>

Meanwhile, it looks like QRZ has returned back to normal and things are running smoothly at this time. We would not be surprised if a few more hiccups take place throughout the day, but for now we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

2. K6ZGI

K6ZGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been having QRZ go off line for the last several days....thanks for the heads up with whats happening.....K6ZGI

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I was having a QRZ attack.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Coincidentally :confused: Verizon landline service was also down. No derecho storm this time.

5. KF7BSI

KF7BSI Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Fred, Thanks for letting us know asap what is up.
    I did some investigating and digured it was related to the cloud I noticed last night about 11 PM it slowed down here a lot then today was gone. 73 thanks for a great site,Michelle:)

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Missed U at Pacificon, Fred! Was all excited on finally a chance to meet you, but guess other plans canceled your trip there. SOMEDAY I will cross paths with U!

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up Fred...

Roommate stayed home, took a vacation day. we found plenty to do like play one round of TeamFortress-2 that lasted 4:08, not the longest that round lasted just over six hours.
    We had fun. sorry to hear The Zed was down.....

9. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hate to say we told you so. The cloud is not immune and or impervious to failure.

K2WH

10. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear about the problems. The cloud giveth and the cloud taketh away.

11. WK1W/SK2022

WK1W/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

internet may fail, but HAM RADIO prevails (propagation nothwithstanding).
    Ivan
    KB1STH/AE

12. WX1DX

WX1DX Ham Member QRZ Page

time for better server than amazon like Google!

this is the 3-4 times this year that I'm aware that QRZ has gone off line. time to to look at a better server system than amazon! Also is any one else concerned that I know part of the US air forces computer security screening system was off line all day as well? Wonder is this might have been a hack of the system regardless of what the company is saying.

EVERYONE REMEMBER TO GO VOTE EARLY VOTING SITES ARE OPEN ALREADY!

13. AA4HI

AA4HI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just go to hamqth.com . It is a great callsign server .

14. W0HAO

W0HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this is the cyber attack we have been hearing about..

15. PA3KC

PA3KC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ makes allot of money from amateurs who provide there info for free. Can't they find a decent hoster that doesn't go of the grid from time to time? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.