ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

internet may fail, but HAM RADIO prevails (propagation nothwithstanding).
    Ivan
    KB1STH/AE

Default time for better server than amazon like Google!

this is the 3-4 times this year that I'm aware that QRZ has gone off line. time to to look at a better server system than amazon! Also is any one else concerned that I know part of the US air forces computer security screening system was off line all day as well? Wonder is this might have been a hack of the system regardless of what the company is saying.

EVERYONE REMEMBER TO GO VOTE EARLY VOTING SITES ARE OPEN ALREADY!

Quote Originally Posted by KB1STH View Post
    internet may fail, but HAM RADIO prevails (propagation nothwithstanding).
    Ivan
    KB1STH/AE

Just go to hamqth.com . It is a great callsign server .

I think this is the cyber attack we have been hearing about..

QRZ makes allot of money from amateurs who provide there info for free. Can't they find a decent hoster that doesn't go of the grid from time to time?

So, this is the 'in the cloud' future of computers? Hmmm . . . . . .

very strange, so was the Army AKO mail (Army Knowledge Online)...........

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by PA3KC View Post
    QRZ makes allot of money from amateurs who provide there info for free. Can't they find a decent hoster that doesn't go of the grid from time to time?
    colocation of equipment would be the best way to, it's also the most expensive. Even still there are issues, like you are not always to access your gear to preform repairs or upgrades, that brings up the other problem. Your gear and the cost of upgrading it maintaining it, so the best option for some businesses is the cloud. All the cloud comuting providers have outages, Amazon just happens to be one of the largest...

Quote Originally Posted by W8QZ View Post
    It is for many but not all. These days in online gaming there are a few big companies who host servers and provide support however for many of the games the actual game server is a dedicated peace of hardware sometimes owned by a couple of people colocated at a small to medium sized ISP. There are many companies who still have colocated hardware. Healthcare is moving away from this model and is in the cloud these days.... My roommate's office has had to deal with outages as everything but their appointment book is in the cloud, doctors notes everything....
    I don't know of anybody who really can stand up and say this is a good thing, expect for the fact everything is backed up off site. That is one good thing about the cloud...
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

The computer industry needs a red herring buzzword to chase every so often to get the sleazy sales types excited. "The Cloud" is the latest. For some uses cloud storage may make a difference, but with reliability and security issues it has a long way to go to be a replacement for local storage of data.
    KY5U - Be a REAL amateur, learn CW.

Quote Originally Posted by WX1DX View Post
    Also is any one else concerned that I know part of the CENSORED computer security screening system was off line all day as well? Wonder is this might have been a hack of the system regardless of what the company is saying.
    Boy, this has OPSEC failure written all over it. Please consider what you're posting in the open for all to see here. If what you say is true, do you really think everybody who comes to QRZ has a need to know? Should we really be telling the world?

Quote Originally Posted by PA3KC View Post
    Not possible. Every provider goes down from time to time, often from problems outside of their control. Cloud or no cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by W8QZ View Post
    Cloud or no cloud, I'd urge you to find me ONE provider, who can provide all that AWS does for QRZ with absolutely zero downtime guaranteed. Nothing exists.

Folks keep in mind, the internet is built on top of hardware. From time to time (as evident in our own hobby) hardware fails. This could happen to your small town ISP and bump a few people offline, or it could happen to Amazon, or even Amazon's backbone provider, and bump more than a few websites offline.

Some of the other websites affected:
    Reddit, Netflix, Pinterest, Instagram, Github

If AWS is good enough for them, it should definitely support QRZ.
    Last edited by N0AMT; 10-23-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast