ad: M2Ant-1

GRE stops making scanners -- Radio Referencee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA5S, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

This came across my screen from the GRE PS-500 Yahoo Groups mailing list. It quotes an announcement on the Radio Reference forums.

There is nothing on this (as yet) at the GRE USA and GRE Japan Web sites -- and there is nothing about it showing up via a Web search for news relating to the company.

Readers will remember that Alinco had
    partnered with GRE USA as its US distributor. This appears to be continuing, as is GRE support at GRE USA. The Alinco Web site also has nothing on this as yet.

Cortland
    KA5S

2. N1ART

N1ART Guest

3. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Maybe it is just a sign of the times, not much open scanner traffic these days.
    Plus just a hunch maybe they are retooling to make ham gear or diversify when they restart .
    I hope so, hate to see another company go away. 73,Michelle

4. N8YN

N8YN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I sure hope GRE doesn't go away......I just love their scanners and have several and have plans to buy another new model.....in my area of southeast Ohio there is plenty of open scanner traffic....lots of townships, villages and small towns can not afford MARCS radios......

N8YN

5. N6CAZ

N6CAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Truly sad to hear. As a casual scanner user who used both Uniden and GRE scanners, I became a GRE fan after learning their PSR-600. Once I got the hang of the trunking on those, I never wanted to deal with any other. The reps were at a convention in San Diego a year ago, and I was impressed with what they were showing.

Here's to hoping this is a bump in the road, and that partnerships will lead to a return. Don't they still make most of the Radio Shack scanners? What will they do? Hmmm...

6. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be the disaster in japan wiped out the factory, or some critical supplier, and they can no longer manufacture over ther. Just a guess

7. KB6LA

KB6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

My PRO-106 (a/k/a the GRE PSR-500) does a fine job of following the APCO-25 digital systems (mostly cops and City workers) in Los Angeles. These are "open" systems, but they're digital, so the range of scanners available for these signals is limited.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I lived in Mansfield for 55 years and never heard of your town. Must be a mite small.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading thru a couple of threads it looks like GRE is NOT going to make scanners for Radio Shack anymore. It does not say anywhere that they are going to completely stop making them. Now thats not to say this is not the case but there is absolutly no information from GRE to this fact as of now. Its all hype and guess right now. How about everyone wait until there is REAL solid information.

Dan

10. N7UR

N7UR Ham Member QRZ Page

GRE America was a major exhibitor at last weekends ARRL National Convention at Pacificon in Santa Clara, California. Nothing that I saw indicated that GRE scanners were going way. In fact, we discussed their exhibiting at the Puerto Rico State Convention in January 2013.

11. K0NEB

K0NEB Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh?

I saw their booth at Pacificon, too...they had scanners that get all of the new digital modes and one that came preprogrammed by your location..not sure how this rumor got started.

12. K4FUS

K4FUS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's really possible that they are going to stop making scanners for RadioShack... RadioShack it's not even close to what use to be on the past when the store really was related to RADIO, and DYI electronics.

13. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

14. KG4KKN

KG4KKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope this is going to turn out OK. Own two PSR-800s and was looking forward to the PSR-900.

15. WE5TXS

WE5TXS Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I think this is a bunch of bull puckey! Nothing on the website indicates that they have ceased production.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.