ad: Schulman-1

GRE Radio Shack Scanner Manufactuer Ceases all producion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6JPA, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N6JPA

N6JPA Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the radioreference.com scanner radio web site GRE, the maker of Radio Shack scanners, has ceased all radio scanner production world wide.

2. K1MIZ

K1MIZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I read that also from another thread elsewhere on the web. GRE USA is trying to regain rights to continue building GRE Scanners. A fellow ham also contacted them(GREUSA) on wednesday about some spare parts and they discussed the recent press release. Per a staff member they will continue to provide services and sell all spare parts, and radios until there is no more, but with hopes to continue building GRE products.

In the meantime i went out and purchased a back up PSR-500 to add to my collection JUST IN CASE these outstanding scanners will no longer be able to be found down the road.

3. WA1UFO

WA1UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this include children?

4. K1MIZ

K1MIZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I dont get it. Try to explain your humor.

5. M0RFC

M0RFC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume he means your.sig OM. And as for GRE - did someone not say it was only for themselves they were not making any more rather than stopping production altogether? Overseas they are not that big - I assume that's why with the scanner market shrinking they needed to do something.

I guess this leaves AOR and Uniden - I don't see many others in the shops here that still stock them.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

The bottom line is that the world has gone digital and encrypted and the scanner market has dried up.
    Analog - it was just a matter of making a receiver which could receive the frequencies used.
    The Radio Shack stuff couldn't compete with other manufacturers.

Pretty soon, there won't be anything to listen to anyways...

7. N2ZNC

N2ZNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont know if thats exactly true. The larger cities are far from converting to all digital due to the cost involved. And these scanners allow you to monitor most areas. I enjoy listening to local activity and when I travel I always program my scanners to the area where Im going..

George

8. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not all areas at the present time are digital, I have older scanners with analog stations in use, just recent my county did go digital.

as to supply of this brand who knows maybe someone will buy the parts or do like Regency / Realm dumpster it.

looks like Uniden wins again!

9. KI6ZIF

KI6ZIF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of the larger cities that have switched over, are now discovering tons of issues with a full digital system. One such city is Oakland, CA. Who is now scrambling to figure out what to do about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.