Callsign
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Coming out with Uranus? What's can we expect from Ten Tec?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc

Quote Originally Posted by KD8DEY View Post
    TenTec Uranus you say?
    I can just imagine a cheeky little SDR radio with a pair of golden knobs.
    HF+6m all mode. customized logging software included
    Sounds wonderful, especially the logging software(hope that wasn't a pun on the name)... I'll keep my fingers crossed that those golden knobs have a good solid feel to them.

Quote Originally Posted by K7WFM View Post
    Release The Kracken !
    heheheheheheheh!

next model is the ten tec saturn with echo,roger beep, and a 10kc switch

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
    next model is the ten tec saturn with echo,roger beep, and a 10kc switch
    ESSB (Extraterrestrial Single Sideband)... I'll bet it will run rings around all the other rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by AD5ZC View Post
    All the jokes are funny but I've wondered what TT has up their sleeve as well. To me the Eagle took Jupiter's place so maybe instead of planets we should be expecting The Raptor or Condor.
    The O2 was obsolete the day they released it (even though it does well on the Sherwood tests) and the Omni VII is starting to lag FAR behind the other radios in its price class (heck, why would you buy an Omni with the existence of the 590 much less the 3000 that's on the way, heck the base 100 watt K3 with panadapter is less I believe).
    I decided to go back to school at my advanced age to retrain myself for the new economy and will be rewarding my impending graduation with a new American made rig. Flex has pretty much ensured that I won't be buying one of their radios with their attempt to introduce a residual income to their profit model. I don't want to buy the K3 because it is the ugliest radio I have ever seen and looks more like a kit radio than the Omni plus buying something from California is almost like not buying American to begin with (I kid...I kid... ). That leaves TT but I can't bring myself to pay that much for something not even in the top ten in performance and which almost universally gets panned (when it gets panned) for being a cheap feeling and looking radio. It is going to kill me but if they don't do something I am going to end up with the "K-Line" and just convince myself that the panadapter and linear looks cool enough to make up for the rest of the butt ugly K3. (berate me if you want to but part of what attracted me to the hobby is how cool the radios looked)
    I would like to see them bring out something that is slightly retro. Analog meter, more buttons, less menus, and that is about it. Just so it looks a little more like a radio and a little less like a computer.
    73 de KB3LAZ

In lieu of achievement we have mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    The more I use my old Omni VI +, the more I like it.
    I currently have an Omni VI/Opt 3 and a couple of Paragon IIs in the shack, all loaded with filters - and an inbound Omni V. Have yet to see the signal or noise they couldn't effectively deal with.
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...

Ponied up to the Bar, with an umbrella in my drink.

Well, it's a shame. But it was inevitable. The Jupiter, and the Pegasus before it, have been around for quite a few years. Technology has caught up with them, sales dropped off, and clearly it reached the point where the demand for another production run was too low, or non-existant; or critical parts are no longer available, and a redesign is not cost effective considering the sales numbers. It happens with every radio made, sooner or later.

Now, you did know, didn't you, that at one time a few years back, Ten-Tec was working on the prototype for the next Jupiter. It had an innovative (for the time) voice module that the user could interact with, simple voice commands and such. It would have had, for example, the ability to detect a high SWR condition and alert the user before the finals could have been damaged. Almost robotic in nature.

Sadly, the prototype malfunctioned, could not be salvaged, and the effort was eventually abandoned.

Seems that the voice module robot on the prototype Jupiter II kept saying "Danger! Danger Will Robinson! Danger"
    Stay Calm & RTJR! LGB!

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    I would like to see them bring out something that is slightly retro. Analog meter, more buttons, less menus, and that is about it. Just so it looks a little more like a radio and a little less like a computer.

I agree with you, Travis. We all want performance in a radio, but I think ergonomics matter, too. I wish my beloved Omni VII had the same analog meter my Argonaut has. Of course it does have a menu, but it is only one layer deep and is very intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by K1FBI View Post
    This I can relate to and is the main reason I don't buy the TS-590, to me it does not have that cool factor. My TS-940 just looked like a radio and I wish I never sold it.
    Still better looking than the TS-2000 though, which gets my vote for ugliest radio of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    I strongly agree with you here. I'd like to see a rig with a simpler design with fewer options and a lower price tag, but that is an extremely strong performer. There are already lots of rigs available that offer users a thousand options they'll never even think about using. A sleeker, streamlined design would fill an important niche.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast