ad: AbAuRe-1

Fox Hunting gone hog wild in Texas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5XJ, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5XJ

W5XJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everything is bigger in Texas, even fox hunting..of sorts. This article http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mo...t-against-wild-hogs.ece#slcgm_comments_anchor in the Dallas Morning News tells the tale of radio tracking collars being used to help hunt down packs of wild hogs in Texas. Hogs do terrific damage to crops and fields here in Texas not to mention damage to wildlife and the spread of disease. We need some APRS tracker collars so we can watch the action on APRS.FI I wonder what frequency the collars operate on?

73 and good hunting!

W5XJ

2. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I have seen, looks like most of the trackers use a VHF yagi. Guessing in the 170 Mhz range, as there are low power telemetry channels allocated in that region.

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw one for a hunting dog that was 215 Mhz, IIRC. A collapsible 3 element Yagi was used.

4. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

The most recent one that I saw this past week on cable TV showed one Hog hunting family in Texas which consists of the father, a son, a daughter and smoking hot female friend who were using Garmin Astros with the companion Garmin GPS dog collars.

The Garmin dog collars operate in the MURS band but they use a proprietary signalling protocol.

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

"Deer hunters dispense more than 300 million pounds of shelled corn a year and an undetermined amount of protein pellets that are intended for game animals. Much of it goes to hogs, which routinely chase deer away from a feeder."

Maybe they should get rid of deer hunters?

6. KI6TAL

KI6TAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Most tracking collars operate on the 216mhz to 219mhz bands,there are some down around 151mhz,but think those are special order. I use tracking collars on my bear dogs here in California.KI6TAL

7. AD8T

AD8T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of black bear hunting here in WV. More than once when we are on a back road with our fox hunt antennas, someone will stop and say "Lost your dogs?" ;)

8. KK7JWQ

KK7JWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm in Florida not Texas, but we have (serious) hog problems here as well.
    The three ways we get rid of them here are:
    1: Some type of high powered rifle round from 100+yards (aka .270 (.243 will work on smaller ones.)
    2: Put deer corn in traps, then use 9mm to .45 (Any larger and it can get a little dicey... any smaller and you may need a lot more shots.)
    3: You jump them, use anything you want really there. (Jumping is where your in/on a truck/atv/etc. and you jump off and shoot 'em.)

Also choose ammunition based on weather you want to eat them or not. The smaller ones (less than 100lbs) are a really good eat if you smoke/grill/BBQ/fry/what ever else you do with pig, only better.

The joy of hog hunting is that all the limitations on things like deer are not there. You can do it at night, use Night Vision/Thermal, use suppressors (Florida Class 3 state yea), Automatics (like the M-16A1 (joy to use), again Class 3 State), really what ever you want to use.

EDIT: Oh yea don't get rid of deer hunters or else you will end up like (I believe it was Colorado) and have deer problems.

Also these hogs are a mix between the American Pig and The Russian Hog if I am not mistaking, which is why they are a problem breed fast and grow large.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. K8WZS

K8WZS Ham Member QRZ Page

well in michigan the hunters with dogs use wouxon radio's and modified ham radio's to communicate on the hunts as these are opened up to tx wherever . then the hunters can make use of the MURS band , the MARINE band , the COMMERCIAL band , the HAM bands , the PUBLIC safety bands and with the dual band imported ham radio's they MODIFY it is also possible to work the FRS and GMRS bands . it is much better than the old CB band . the dog collars mostly are on 210 mhz . beware of what you wish for !!

10. KD4JPF

KD4JPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the deer hunters inadvertently feed the hogs,simply require them to take a minimum of one hog per
    deer taken.
    Pulled pork is delicious.

11. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The tastiest piece of meat I ever had was smoked wild boar tongue.
    Otherwise an interesting article – they eat ( like pigs) and multiply- what a startling discovery worth every penny of taxpayer's money. One should wonder what else they need to study. How close are they to learn how to fly?

12. WA4UKX

WA4UKX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

From reading the attached news link, It looks as if they were using GPS collars...the collars store GPS movement data then drop off after a preset time.. the collars are then retrieved and the movement data is studied..73....wa4ukx

13. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hunt at the right time of year, you can have pulled pork and poached venison. :)

14. KJ4TQ

KJ4TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Florida hogs

15. W7CIA

W7CIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm....

Wouldn't that then require a Pig icon?

73's, W7CIA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.