ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Aeronautical Mobile Saturday Indianapolis to Grissom AFB

I will be aeronautical mobile Saturday 9/16 per attached sheet. We will likely be leaving Grissom later, like around 3PM. I hope to be able to test and confirm line of sight communication (~65 miles) and more with stations that have their 2M antenna on tower.

Looking forward to this test, in you are in Indiana or border cities please see if you can contact me this Saturday. Please spread the word.

Thanks
    LeroyFlight Test September 15th 2012 Test.pdf
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

That is Saturday 9/15!
    Leroy

I've been sending info to clubs around the area, in you live in central Indiana give it a try.

Frequency 146.52MHz
    Date: September 15th, 2012
    Take off ~11:00 AM from Westfield, IN Arrive Grissom AFB ~11:25AM.
    Take off from Grissom ~3:00PM Arrive Westfield ~3:25PM
    Leroy

I'll keep an ear out. Plymouth is about the end of my rope.
    "If it aint broke don't fix it. "If you can't fix it get a bigger hammer."

73,Tom

This was really fun. The flight time from Westfield IN airport to Grissom AFB is about 30 minutes and radio time about 20 minutes so goes by pretty quick. Westfield was a small grass field and of course Grissom had runway that was like 1 mile long. We started on time, connecting everything up and it was working great, had audio coming in the noise cancelling headphones for about 1 minute and then everything quit. I blew a fuse so we had to trouble shoot that, find another fuse, change it, and then lower the power on my rig from 25 watts to 5 watts.

Equipment was FT2900M running to mag mount antenna laying on the shelf behind where we were sitting. The plane was a beautiful 1946 Ercoupe. Really a nice plane.

Going up made about 16 QSO's going up and we stayed around 2000 feet above ground and returning about 12 QSO's and peaked at around 4000 feet above ground. Returning I had problems with batteries running out on the noise cancelling headphones and having to reset about every 5 seconds. Getting into Grissom airspace and leaving Grissom took a lot of communication from my friend. While at Grissom we took a shuttle to the Dutch Cafe for lunch and then toured the Grissom AFB museum.

I will try this again, there is actually a hole in the back of my friends plane where another outside antenna can be mounted and he is going to see if he can get a 2M antenna for that hole. I think an outside the plane antenna would work much better.

Thanks to everyone that listened and to everyone that called. There were several times where I could hear 3 or 4 people calling and had to pick the clearest.

Pictures of the plane, Mark (owner and pilot) and myself. Approaching Grissom. Inside the cockpit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leroy