ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Don't let them float away

W-D just announced their new line of 3.5" 7-platter disk drives that are helium-filled.

No kidding.

They claim higher performance, higher capacity, lower power consumption, lighter weight, and lower cost.

I don't know if they have a tap to let you fill balloons or not.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...9&pageNumber=2
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

So the problem is turbulence, which is solved by using a lighter gas. That's very interesting.

I wonder if sealing the drive and keeping a vacuum inside would work even better.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Wonder why they didn't go with hydrogen, which is a good heat conductor. Hydrogen is used in some (most?) big power station alternators, or so I read in the Times.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    Wonder why they didn't go with hydrogen, which is a good heat conductor. Hydrogen is used in some (most?) big power station alternators, or so I read in the Times.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
    Too flammable.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Quote Originally Posted by VA3CSS View Post
    Too flammable.

Picky Picky. And not if sealed.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by VA3CSS View Post
    Too flammable.
    One reason, but a hint of worse things for your data. Hydrogen isn't inert and the flammability betrays its willingness to hang out with any of the transition metals. Granted, it is at temperatures much higher than those inside the computer, but who wants lonely hydrogen atoms seeking to bond with the metal on the platter when you can have something that is guaranteed not to be so promiscuous? At the density they're talking, I think there's a very real possibility of affecting data integrity.

Western Digital and its peers are struggling to find cheaper and larger alternatives to SSDs. The article is correct, companies are beginning to move toward using SSDs in diverse locations as opposed to large RAID systems. This is going to leave WD with spinny things no one wants.

Quote Originally Posted by KA8NCR View Post
    The article is correct, companies are beginning to move toward using SSDs in diverse locations as opposed to large RAID systems.
    We use SSDs in large RAID systems. They're fast, they're quiet, but they still fail.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
    Oh, the humanity!
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

Flash! The new "Hindenberg" disk drive, hydrogen-filled, with a "lighting port" on the left side.

Lighter optional.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Talking of hydrogen and airships ...

How would you like to be operating a spark transmitter on a hydrogen airship during WW1?

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/davidpack...taryradio.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast