Callsign
ad: Morse-1
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Contact With Balloon, Looking For Listeners.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Quote Originally Posted by WB9SBD View Post
    Let me ask you, do you have any equipment that will operate when it is being exposed to -55 deg C? Id like to see anything you have from any off the shelf buy it at a store that has spec's that say it will operate at -55 deg C. Yet thats what I have to try to build for.
    It's indeed a challenge to design circuitry to function at temperature extremes. In my career, we had to design to -65 deg C operation, but our applications were all terrestrial based: we could ramp the testing temperatures up, or down, very slowly, over a span of hours. WB9SBD faces a tougher challenge in that his low temperatures change rapidly as the balloon ascends (thermal shock). Add to that big humidity changes as the balloon goes up and low air pressures at high balloon altitudes, and the design gets even tougher. You can design a circuit that will work perfectly at room temperature, but there is always an environmental point where it will quit working. The component that causes the circuit to fail could be something as complex as an I.C., or as simple as a tiny capacitor.
    Last edited by N5AL; 09-18-2012 at 08:15 AM.

I don't know why anyone would knock playing with balloons and radios with all the fun that is bound to be.
    In the meantime, I scanned through comments etc. and don't see any mention of locating the balloon; any progress in that department?
    Won't it show up sooner or later (e.g. gets to a lower altitude and begins to function once more)?

K5CO, Rob in New Mexico

I for one think this is really cool! I found the NSS website and monitored the launch. My antenna here in Oshkosh is poor but I was able to decode a few packets. Thanks for sharing and letting us all be part of these experiments.

I still turn on the radio now and then. With the dial on 10.14575 I still pick up something every 10 minutes or so. It almost looks like an RTTY signal that loses power about a 2 second into the transmission. Is it likely this is the balloon?

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by K5CO View Post
    I don't know why anyone would knock playing with balloons and radios with all the fun that is bound to be.
    In the meantime, I scanned through comments etc. and don't see any mention of locating the balloon; any progress in that department?
    Won't it show up sooner or later (e.g. gets to a lower altitude and begins to function once more)?

K5CO, Rob in New Mexico
    We hope that is the case. But right now I am thinking that it has landed somewhere, now where is a good question. It is either water, or ground based but with the solar panel facing down, or the cold not only froze the electronics, but damaged them to not running.

It has to have landed in an un populated area, because the flight system is soo large that if people are anywhere near it ,, it will be seen, So my guess is in a rural or farming area. It's next hope for recovery is harvest time or hunting time and someone comes across it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by KE5RHE View Post
    I for one think this is really cool! I found the NSS website and monitored the launch. My antenna here in Oshkosh is poor but I was able to decode a few packets. Thanks for sharing and letting us all be part of these experiments.

I still turn on the radio now and then. With the dial on 10.14575 I still pick up something every 10 minutes or so. It almost looks like an RTTY signal that loses power about a 2 second into the transmission. Is it likely this is the balloon?

Aaron
    I possibly could be, can you make a recording of it and send it to me?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by AA1MN View Post
    Respect is given when it is deserved, KK4DDT. The context of launching transmitters into the upper atmosphere with hot air balloons that get lost due to the launcher's inability to control or track is, by most reasonable estimations, is not deserving of respect. Not that it's deserving of derision either. While I cannot speak for other people, the post I made was made in humor making light of what is perceived on my part as a ridiculous avoidable situation. If the humor and lightness was overlooked by anyone might I suggest they reconsider.

AA1MN

Blather, blather, blather

Quote Originally Posted by WB9SBD View Post
    I possibly could be, can you make a recording of it and send it to me?

Joe
    I will do so next time I turn it on. I assumed that other people near me in Wisconsin could hear the same thing so I didn't bother trying yesterday.

I listened all yesterday afternoon.....nothing but noise,s-9.Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by KF5FEI View Post
    Nope that is not it.

Joe

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast