ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Default FT-2000 vs. FTDX-3000

I'm in the market for a new rig and had just about decided to get the new (and as yet unreleased) Yaesu FTDX-3000 when I found out it has only one receiver. I spend a lot of my operating time DXing and a second receiver comes in very handy. It seems that the FTDX-3000 is more of a replacement for the FT-950 than the FT-2000, which is surprising considering the price of the 3000 will be around $2800, which puts it squarely in the FT-2000 price range.

I've got the money to splurge on an FTDX5000 or an IC-7700, but I'm putting the money into a tower/big beam instead, so my rig budget is in the $2800 range.

I like the FT-2000 (ergonomics, size, etc.), but its reviews have been less than stellar and it's getting a little long in the tooth. It does have a second receiver, however.

Another option is to go for one of the lower end models, such as the TS-590s or the FT-950. Both of these seem to have reasonable receiver performance for a $1500 class rig.

There's always the American rigs in this general price range (TenTec Omni VII and Elecraft K3), but I'm leery of the flimsy, cheesy knobs and control layouts. I'd be willing to overlook a lot in this area if the RX performance is up to snuff.

Opinions?
    Check out my Tower Install Blog: http://w6uv.com

Once you get the tower up with the beam you may not care anymore about getting a new rig!
    If you are not particularly unhappy with the FT-2000 (regardless of it's age and reviews), I'd say sit on it for a while, get the tower project done, and then see what you think.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Sorry if my original posting wasn't clear, but I don't have any of the rigs mentioned.
    Check out my Tower Install Blog: http://w6uv.com

You have a very interesting question. I have always been perplexed about the performance of the FT2000 also (how could Yaesu screw up like that?) and your desire for a 2nd receiver is certainly justified. Other than the 2000 you don't have a choice other than the K3, until you get up into the Ten Tec Orion or FT5000 range. The Icom 7600 does NOT have a real second receiver. I just can't see what all the hype is about the FT3000, either. When you compare it to the TS590, it is nearly twice the cost, and the 590 has great receiver specs. Maybe someone will chime in and explain. The little spectrum display MAY be the feature that obsoletes the rig at an early age. With the performance of a high resolution display such as the K3/P3 has, and the SDRs how satisfied is a user going to be with that little puny spectrum scope on the FT3000? It reminds me of a cassette player or analog cellphone in a 2000 model year car. By high resolution display I mean being able to zoom in and see ALL the signals in a narrow bandwidth, as sharp spikes, not a +/- 25 khz window where one strong signal is a big wide blur, as in the Icom rigs.
    Last edited by K2XT; 09-10-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Having owned all the radios you have mentioned I guess the worst receiver is the FT-2000 owned 2 of them starting in 2006 a 100w and a "D" model. Then a FT-950 for a backup for a while that I traded for an FT-847 after another year i sold the 2000 and bought a FT-9000C. A friend had an Omni VII that I used for a while and never liked the preformance of the radio or the receiver he traded his for a IC-756 Pro III which he really liked. I traded my 9000C in May of 09 for a IC-7700 liked it for a while also I bought one of the TS-590s to go in my camper and use for Field Day but after using it for less than 3 weeks sold it didn't like the looks, quality or the feel of it.

In Oct of 2009 I pre-ordered a FTDX-5000MP received it in March of 2010 after 2 weeks of owning it I saw how bad the receiver and filters were in the 7700 were and unloaded it. Still have the FT-5000 but this year I bought a K3/P3 combo after owning it for about a month I bought another K3 and another P3. After the months of compairing the 5000/K3 I have decided to sell my FT-5000 and go with the K3's in a SO2R setup for some DXing and a few contests the receivers were so close you could not tell the difference. Where the difference came to bear was in the superior filtering of the K3 and close in SSB rejection and the superior P3 combo.

You would be hard pressed to beat the K3 for price factory assembled $2250 K3/100 base model and build it up from there I have a lot more options on my K3's than my 5000 for sure. The scope unit on the 5000/3000 really are a joke to say the least you might as well plan on another $500 and up for a decent panadapter for the 5000 I did. There are no down side's to buying a K3 and with it you decide exactly what options that you want in your radio not what someone else decides for you. Another plus is that Elecraft has unequaled in the industry support, customer service, and a contineing effort to improve there products both older and new with firmware and software upgrades.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

FT 2000 wins every time. I was all ready to buy the 3000 at $2000 or $2200. Now? Fug-ged-dit!
    KY5U - Be a REAL amateur, learn CW.

New radios out are great, cuz folks with PREVIOUS high end radios will sell those off to get a new one. Sooner or later, rigs like a FT-1000D and Icom 7800 will move into the Affordability range. I figure late 80s or early 90s super radios will soon be cheap enough to buy. That is why I have a FT-107M. It was a very nice and pricey radio in 1980, so now it is affordable.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Pat, Pat ! Did you see above? Fred is dumping the FT5000 !
    He's going all K3. Here's your chance. And I'm SURE Fred would want his 5000 to go to a good home, and what better place than the shack of WA6MHZ, where he will be able to keep tabs on it.
    Psssst .... Pat. Fred is loaded. You can probably get it for a song, he doesn't need the money.
    And with the preformance of the 5000 you won't be needing the FT107. Come on Pat, this will put a little life back in the Zed. It has been very quiet around here lately. Which reminds me, where is Sue?

Message to Fred Hey Fred what do you say could you give Pat a good deal on that old FT5000 you have there you know his story he has all those boatanchors there all over the place in every room in the house and the best rig he has is an FT107 he dreams for an FT5000 the problem is a small one he isn't going to be able to pay top dollar for it but as you said above it is one of the first ones so maybe you could give him an extra special deal with the preformance of the 5000 think of all the DX Pat will be working it would be a lot of fun this is just what we have all been waiting for I'm sure Jim N2EY can help out with a few helpful hints too what say Fred?

A SONG???!!!!!

For a FTdx5000, I will do a whole OPERA!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast