ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

I was seriously considering, and still am, putting up one of those packaged Hexbeams that DX Engineering sells. I think it went from 10m to 20 or 40m. I just need a little time before putting out $600. Then I would have no idea how far up I would need to put it, nor what rotater motor to get, hope its not one of those ones for a grand!!! then, I also wouldn't know if my LDG tuner on my 897D would be enough. Wow, lots of I don't know for one antenna! Anyone have some hexbeam experience? Thanks guys for all of your responses so far, it really helps.

Jeff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [FONT=Garamond][COLOR=Blue]"US Navy Corpsman...Even Marines Have Heroes"[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]"Please take the time to stop by my callsign page and sign my [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=Red][URL="http://www.qrz.com/db/KB1SYV"]WebLog[/URL]"
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    KL7JEF
    ARRL #2000545782
    OMISS #7234
    SKCC #5868
    European PSK Club (EPC) #8624
    BARTG #8264
    NAQCC #3891
    30 Meter Digital Group #2758
    The Feld Hell Club #2414
    Digital Modes Club #2481
    Flying Pigs QRP Club International #2292

Quote Originally Posted by K7RDR View Post
    I was seriously considering, and still am, putting up one of those packaged Hexbeams that DX Engineering sells.
    My concern would be the amount ice that will build up over the winter on a wire beam.Maybe a 3 element Yagi would hold up a little better?
    An A-3 or a mosley perhaps .
    Once in a man's life you should have a good dog, a good horse and a good woman.
    The trick is to get them all together at the same time.:D

I have the DX Engineering Hexxbeam and find it a satisfactory performer - another amateur yesterday told me he thinks it's as good at a TA-33 he owns, but I have no personal experience to make that comparison myself.

However, given your weather, wind resistance and ice resistance would be a big consideration in my design, and I'd talk with other local amateurs about antennas. Oh, yea, and due to the extreme cold, I would tend to look twice at any antenna with moving parts.

I wonder if heat-taping the rotor would be necessary?
    This Space Intentionally Left Blank

I think initially I will have to put up a "squarish" loop antenna, the size will be about that for 80m, and the resulting harmonics will suit me well. The hexbeam is something I need a little more in the back pocket for. You are correct about the cold and winds. I hadn't given the state of the rotor a thought until you mentioned it. I know for a fact that our 50 to 60 below zero temperatures, without windchill of course, will shut that rotor down. The only thing I could do is turn it to its optimal direction, which you guys would know better than me, and leave it until spring. There is a ladder system in place to get to the woodstove pipe for cleaning, so having to go up there to shake some snow or ice off of it is no big deal. Do you think having the hexbeam on the roof of the cabin would put it high enough of the ground to avoid any reception or transmission issues? I don't really want to have to put it on some mast and stick it in the air if I can avoid it. Thanks again everyone!!!

Jeff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [FONT=Garamond][COLOR=Blue]"US Navy Corpsman...Even Marines Have Heroes"[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]"Please take the time to stop by my callsign page and sign my [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=Red][URL="http://www.qrz.com/db/KB1SYV"]WebLog[/URL]"
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    KL7JEF
    ARRL #2000545782
    OMISS #7234
    SKCC #5868
    BARTG #8264
    NAQCC #3891
    The Feld Hell Club #2414
    Digital Modes Club #2481

Good to hear from Delta Junction! I have THREE students from Delta who come all the way up to Fairbanks for my 'lectronics class! I guess I'm worth the trip. HI!

Eric
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

Get the hexxbeam up at least 30' for best performance, don't listen to the 15' it will work fine - high = better even with a hexbeam.
    This Space Intentionally Left Blank

See KU7I on eham, 4th from top, front page. In mid to late 70's into early 80's operated from KL7, QRP to random wire on fish boats & shore side, from Kodiak & points west. Tough go but fun.
    Jack KC7YE

Hello All,

I came across an antenna that I found on a site mentioned by a good friend of mine K6HP. It is a 240 ft doublet with your choice in footage of 600 ohm ladder line that is center fed. My biggest obstacle with all this is a way to get them up the 30 or so feet into the spruce trees near my cabin. There is no way that I can climb a spruce, it is physically impossible because of the way the tree grows. What are your thoughts on the doublet for now, just to get on, and then ideas on how to get it hung lol!!!

Thanks,

Jeff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    KL7JEF
    ARRL #2000545782
    OMISS #7234
    SKCC #5868
    BARTG #8264
    NAQCC #3891
    The Feld Hell Club #2414
    Digital Modes Club #2481

A sling shot (EZ-Hang), a spud gun, simple fishing weight about 3-5 ounces tossed over a high tree branch using mason twine for a haul line then go to heavier rope. All good ways to launch an antenna. Nothing is physically impossible, you're imagination needs to expand. Get that wire as high as is practicable. I use the EZ Hang and the first shot with the 1 ounce weight was not good at all. Lost the weight in the tree somewhere, but I went with a 5 ounce weight and that did it for me, 50 feet up over a branch and I am on the air with an improved signal. The trees around here require the heavier weight to pull the fishing line over the top and bring it back down the other side. Going to a friends house to help him with an antenna in a couple days.
    CLYDE
    N1BHH
    A KNOW CODE AMATEUR, since 1970. 900's my new band.
    Except in times of declared emergency, Amateur Radio should be fun! If it's not, you must be doing something wrong!
    I don't answer to "contact."

Jeff, I'm not sure if you're still planning on spanning that 50 ft. creek with the dipole like you were talking about doing with the loop, but the first thing that strikes me is that when you mention the remoteness of your new location, transportation into and out of the area could very well be only by air.

If there's a chance you'll need a Super Cub on floats to land on that creek, you might take that into consideration before running the wire across it.

This may not even be an issue, but I've lived here in Alaska all my life and when someone talks about a remote cabin, their driveway is always either a sand bar or a relatively straight stretch of water.

Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3