ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper

Default Low Pass Filter for 2 Meters VHF Radio

Dear all:

Are there schematics or sources to make a Low Pass Filter for 2 Meters VHF Radio ?

I want to place the Low Pass Filter between an antenna and a Non Linear Amplifier.

Regards.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    Lima, Peru
    OA4AJP

I'd usually first confirm if there's really a harmonic problem. A low pass filter cannot improve IMD. And many Class C (non-linear) amps, used on FM mostly, have very good harmonic suppression and don't need a LPF.

Have you measured anything to see what the amp is doing?
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I will use this amplifier:
    http://www.symmetron.ru/suppliers/mi...RA08H1317M.PDF

I found this chart in the datasheet:

Harmonics.jpg

Does this chart mean that the amplifier module includes a low pass filter to reduce Harmonics on the RF output?

Thanks
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    OA4AJP
    Last edited by OA4AJP; 09-06-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OA4AJP View Post
    Dear all:

Are there schematics or sources to make a Low Pass Filter for 2 Meters VHF Radio ?

I want to place the Low Pass Filter between an antenna and a Non Linear Amplifier.

Regards.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    Lima, Peru
    OA4AJP
    Hi Alfredo

It would be wise to put a filter after the amplifier as it does not look like there is any external filtering, I don't know any pre-designed circuit diagrams as such but this excellent design program will allow you to design your own. It is on the list of products.

http://www.aade.com/

Just make sure you use high enough capacitor operating voltages and a sufficiently heavy gauge of wire for the coils.

Hope this helps you Nick G0CWA
    [CENTER]It is a hobby just enjoy building your radios, don't be afraid to have a go yourself.

You can always put the magic smoke back
    into a component that goes bang to make it work again !!!! [/CENTER]

I will use this amplifier:
    http://www.symmetron.ru/suppliers/mi...RA08H1317M.PDF

I found this chart in the datasheet:

Harmonics.jpg

Does this chart mean that the amplifier module includes a low pass filter to reduce Harmonics on the RF output?

Thanks
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    OA4AJP
    Hello Alfredo, the graph shows the second harmonic is down 35 db and the 3rd harmonic is down a little more than 60 db. Although this isn't bad it's not good enough. So yes a low pass type of filter will work very well in this application.
    There are other calculators available and some sites have many like here; http://www.siversima.com/rf-calculat...th-calculator/. Although it appears to deal with microwave just put in your desired frequency on any valid RF frequency and it'll give you the values and often multiple values for different configurations.
    BTW don't forget the device you're interested in requires just 20 milliwatts to obtain about 8 watts out.
    Have fun
    Gary
    Last edited by KO6WB; 09-07-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Dear Gary:

What would be the correct cutoff Frequency for my 2 meters Low pass Filter 150 Mhz? (Butterworth)

What is the bandwith for 0 attenuation on the ButterWorth Filter.

Thanks.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    OA4AJP

Dear Gary:

What would be the correct cutoff Frequency for my 2 meters Low pass Filter 150 Mhz? (Butterworth)

What is the bandwith for 0 attenuation on the ButterWorth Filter.

Thanks.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    OA4AJP
    That's just a bit too close for a lowpass filter on 2 meters. It'll work but raising the cutoff frequency to about 175 Mhz would do well. There are no 0 attenuation filters as an insertion loss. They all have a bit of loss. This is quite often low enough that it can be disregarded. It'll depend on the design and the number of stages you use in your design. At a cutoff frequency of 150Mhz is represented by a point that is -3db from the reference at 0 db. So if you look back at the slope from the 0db reference level back to 148Mhz you will already be starting to attenuate the signal. Since the second harmonic of 145Mhz is so far away at 290Mhz then the cutoff frequency can be higher and give excellent performance.
    The bandwidth of a lowpass filter is usually from everything below the cutoff to the cutoff point. So a lowpass filter with a cutoff of 175Mhz has a 175Mhz bandwidth. That's in the perfect world and in actual operation there will be some minor spots where that simply doesn't apply. Your goal is to obtain enough attenuation at 290Mhz to reduce the second harmonic to a suitable level. The lowpass filter is supposed to work even better at the third harmonic and better still at the fourth harmonic. In the real application this is usually not completely true but it will be effective enough to be more than a usable application.
    A lowpass filter or any filter for that matter at the VHF range will not have what is called a "brick wall" cutoff. It will have a slope of varying degree and that is commonly called a shape factor. The slope at VHF is usually measured in the megahertz range.
    Hope this helps Alfredo.
    Gary

Thank you for the information Gary.

Can the Low Pass Filter change the impedance between my amplifier and my Antenna? (The amplifier output impedance is 50 Ohms)

Is there any Harmonic calculator to get the second and third harmonic from a frenquency.

In the AADE Filter Design Software, for the Butterworth Filter, is there any problem if I enter in the F2 field the value of the F1 field (Cutoff Frequency)?

F2: StopBand Frequency.

I have seen the if I change the F2 value the value of the Capacitors and Inductors don't change.

Thanks.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    OA4AJP
    Last edited by OA4AJP; 09-07-2012 at 08:06 PM.

A variation of the low pass filter is the pi network. It has transformation capability but you're not trying to go from a high impedance tube circuit to a 50 ohms load. The RA08H1317M appears to me to have a 50 ohm output so there is no impedance transformation taking place.
    A stopband is a band of frequencies, between specified limits, through which a circuit, such as a filter, does not allow signals to pass, or the attenuation is above the required stopband attenuation level. Depending on application, the required attenuation within the stopband may typically be a value between 20 and 120 dB higher than the nominal passband attenuation, which often is 0 dB. The stopband of a low-pass filter is the frequencies from the stopband corner frequency (which is slightly higher than the passband 3 dB cut-off frequency) up to the infinite frequency.
    I'm not familiar with the AADE Filter Design Software and how it works, so I can't be much help with the perimeters and values it needs to calculate your LPF.
    For the Stopband enter the second harmonic of 290Mhz and the desired attenuation level it should present at that point. That should give you the values you're seeking.
    Gary

In the AADE Filter Design Software, for the Butterworth Filter, is there any problem if I enter in the F2 field the value of the F1 field (Cutoff Frequency)?

F2: StopBand Frequency.

I have seen the if I change the F2 value the value of the Capacitors and Inductors don't change.

Thanks.
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
    OA4AJP
    Hi Alfredo

Sorry I can't answer your question about the AADE package. I Just use it and have not had any problems with hitting the right designs. As you describe what you are entering you are describing a Perfect filter not allowing for the real world characteristics, but I may be mis reading what you mean.

It is probably not changing the values as the filter base information you enter doesn't need to change them as they are near enough. The easy way to check, is to measure the VSWR into and out of the filter if this is OK you will have to assume everything is ok. Also check the harmonic levels both into and out of the filter using either a wave meter or GDO and check for a significant reduction.

I agree with Gary about the "cut off" frequency values and type of filters to use.

Hope this helps Nick G0CWA
    [CENTER]It is a hobby just enjoy building your radios, don't be afraid to have a go yourself.

You can always put the magic smoke back
    into a component that goes bang to make it work again !!!! [/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast