ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Dual Band vs Single Band

73 to all!

Needing an opinion question mainly. I have posted the same to my local ham club members and will see what they say, but I would like a more broad opinion. So right now I live in Chattanooga, TN. I have a 2m/440 base station and a dual band HT, and now I am wanting a mobile unit. Now my 70cm repeaters are actually pretty dead around here. Only times they are used is early mornings during commuting, and usually they are weak signals on off repeater frequencies, or when the local ARES net switches over for a few minutes. My local nets are all on the 2m band. I do not do much traveling, and when I do I go to Atlanta to visit family. Down there their 70cm are dead also. But I mainly listen to my grandfathers HF rig anyway.

Now I told you all this to ask this question, is spending the extra money for a dual bander worth it? I mainly rag chew, and just always carrying my HT around is a little annoying and depending where Im at in town, I can't hit certain repeaters.

Any thoughts?

Brandon, W4CDW

I don't know, if most of your nets on UHF are from your home QTH, then yea, maybe a single band will do for ya.

MY problem is putting a non-detachable face place radio in most of my small cars, The room for the full box just is not around as much as it used to be, and sadly, the single banders tend to be single piece.

But if that limitation is not a problem, sounds like you don't REALLY need a dual band.

There are parts of the country where dual or even quad band FM rigs can be used.
    This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Hello Brandon

I used a Dual Band HT for almost two years. It worked well.

When you switch to a Mobile Dual Band radio, you will be able to hold a repeater for a longer time, when driving.

Depending on your location to a repeater, you will be full quieting, more so, and you will have strong audio.

Try to get a Dual Band with detachable face plate and able to be programmed via PC Cable. Ii switched from an Icom IC-W32A dual band HT to an Icom IC-207H. Dual Band mobile Radio. It has a single VFO so you CAN'T listen to two frequencies at same time. Great audio and signal.

Another thing, look at 220 as another Band to consider. It is being called the Gentlemen's Band. If you are open to considering 220, then check out the TYT TH-9000 mobile rig on Amazon.

For 220, there is an Atlanta repeater, 224.340- 146.2 PL that has activity from 7a-7:30a.

When you come down to Atlanta, get on 146.880- with 100.0 PL. I am on this repeater during 7a-9a drive time. Also the Jasper repeater on 146.805+ 100.0 PL is very good in coverage. You can probably talk on this repeater from GA/TN border down to Atlanta.

When you get on 146.880, ask for me on it. Steve KC6KNL.

73s

Steve

You could get a dual bander and find someone to get on 70cm and ragchew with. Lighting up a repeater is a good way to get others interested in using it.

I think you are ready for HF rig! I think you answered your own question on dual band radio. Several radios cover HF/VHF/UHF and could be very useful.
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

Quote Originally Posted by W4CDW View Post
    73 to all!

[edited]

Brandon, W4CDW
    First time anyone ever said "Goodbye" or "So Long" to me when starting a conversation.

Gary WA7KKP

You have a Dual Band HT ?

Why not get a Dual-Band mobile that is fully capable dual band.

One that does " crossband repeat "

You couple put the HT on a 70cm frequency, the mobile in your car on the same 70cm frequency for the 70cm side, and the 2 meter repeater frequency on the 2 meter side.

You could then use the HT to connect with the two meter repeater through your mobile which is acting as a repeater for you.

I used mine like that when the HT just wasn't enough to hit the repeaters.

When it comes to buying gear I tend to go overboard using this mentality ......

" It is better to have the capability and not need it, then it is to need the capability it and not have it! "

Since when did 73 mean either so long or goodbye?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by WA7KKP View Post
    First time anyone ever said "Goodbye" or "So Long" to me when starting a conversation.

Gary WA7KKP
    Actually, I have had a number of European Hams start off conversations with "73 to you"... As far as I knew, it never meant "goodbye" or "so long," rather, "best wishes" which isn't necessarily a closing...

To the OP, my dad (KB2GUA now SK) always taught me that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    de Jim

So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu!
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast