ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

My questionable contact was on 17 CW. I am 100% sure on the RTTY contacts. Later last night, I went back to 17 CW and made a SOLID contact, where I am sure I copied my call correct. So that is an insurance QSO. On RTTY, I saw my call come back clearly, despite the QRM..
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Quote Originally Posted by K9ASE View Post
    What time of day? I still have yet to hear them. I have seen them spotted in MI,and WI though
    I got them Sunday 2300z on 10 cw/ssb and 12cw from central IL. Didn't hear them at all on 10 the day before but the southern states were hearing them just fine. I was only QRV Saturday and Sunday evenings, and loud both nights on 15/17/20.

I have 11 contacts so far . I am awaiting the latest log update to conform 17 ssb and I sure would like to work them 40 ssb and 80 cw also. Actually its early yet and I have plenty of time to listen before work ( 5 am ) when 40 and 80 seem to be best for me. They were rocking the other morning on 40 cw and 40 phone but I had to get to work so i missed the 40 phone.
    So far its been fun .
    Dave N8DC

Just for grins, I spent the last hour or so listening to the small pileup on 10 CW while doing bills. The one thing that is obvious is how many people continue to call after the op specifically stated one prefix/suffix, two letter combo, etc. as though they didn't hear him. I can understand missing one request but many people repeatedly did it behaving as someone once described as an alligator.

It's no wonder people have such a hard time working DX - they don't freakin listen! We could take a lesson from the JA ops.

Quote Originally Posted by W4PG View Post
    DRATS!! I see I somehow missed them on 17 CW!! OH the HORROR!!
    Well I *DID* work them on 17 CW later that day, but I don't see it showing up in their log. My 40 meter contacts I made did show up, so that is good. Even still, got them on 11 slots not counting the apparently lost 17 CW contact and I didn't even try to work RTTY. I'm not gonna fret the 17 CW one.

..............Bob
    Last edited by W4PG; 09-12-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

One problem with CW is that I know my call at 20-30WPM, but that doesn't mean I know what else is being sent. Last night on 10Mhz, evidently the op was requesting various areas of the world, and I didn't catch what he said. Had he sent my call, I could have copied that. So I imagine that many of those calling out of area (including me) just can't copy the code good enough to understand what he is saying.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

I've had very good luck sending my call ONCE. These big operations are interested in keeping their rate up, so if they copy two stations and one of them repeats their call, they go to the station who is listening.

40 and 15 SSB, 17 CW so far. Heard them last night on ten meter cw, but very weak and the "roger beeps" from certain voice transmissions were making it miserable.
    Bob
    SKCC #12717

Quote Originally Posted by K1VSK View Post
    Just for grins, I spent the last hour or so listening to the small pileup on 10 CW while doing bills. The one thing that is obvious is how many people continue to call after the op specifically stated one prefix/suffix, two letter combo, etc. as though they didn't hear him. I can understand missing one request but many people repeatedly did it behaving as someone once described as an alligator.

It's no wonder people have such a hard time working DX - they don't freakin listen! We could take a lesson from the JA ops.
    Very true, though in some cases I think they do listen, but just don't give a damn. They figure if they basically jam the frequency by repeatedly throwing out their call at inappropriate times, the DX OP will work them out of sheer frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2SIZ View Post
    Very true, though in some cases I think they do listen, but just don't give a damn. They figure if they basically jam the frequency by repeatedly throwing out their call at inappropriate times, the DX OP will work them out of sheer frustration.
    In the case of a 5 KHz split, there is nothing to "jam" even when the op in this case was just sitting on a listening freq without moving for almost the entire time.

I wonder if they realize the length of time they spend in a pileup is directly proportional to their operating ability alone without regard to antennas, power or any other extraneous thing?

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast