ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Exclamation Kenwood TS-520SE

I just bought a Kenwood TS520SE which needs some tender loving care.
    On first turn on of the main power switch, it ran for about 7 to 10 seconds
    and blow a 6 amp fuse. Opened up the case to look for any broken wires,
    touching wires to ground and general look over for the obvious. Any advice
    for locating or locations to look for or test. Will be down loading the manuals.

Curt AB0UA

Curt --

No possible way, we would know what you bought.
    START HERE:
    http://www.k4eaa.com/

Hundreds of these are appearing on market (SK estates, storage, pirate radio hacks)
    Just due to age (40 years old), many need maintence that had long ago been skipped.

Did you buy this radio to operate on HF or to be a radio technician/repairman ??
    Last edited by W9GB; 08-30-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    Nullius in verba

You said you switched the 520 ON and it blew a fuse in a few seconds and was this was in the Rx mode?..... ought be easy to solve with a test meter, how about a shorted or leaky rectifier... or possibly a smoothing cap gone kaputt...... more so if it's not been powered up for ages - which 'could' be an important clue?

Another clue is where you bought it from.... not from Ebay by any chance?

Dave

Easy, replace the 2 main filter caps. The big ones behind the VFO...
    Clif Holland KA5IPF
    [url]www.avvid.com[/url]

Just something to mess with during the winter.

I bought the radio at a flee market marked as CB base station for $75.00. I don't know how long it has been setting.
    Cosmetically its a 8 out of a 10. I down loaded the manuals to the radio and found in the trouble shooting guide of the
    service manual that it was either the AF unit or the HV supply. So I'm going to look there this weekend. I hope
    it will probably be the HV supply because I have some caps rated at 210 mfd at 450 volts. But if there is any other area
    that might be of concern from operators that have had this problem please let me know. My plans are to play with it
    for awhile and sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by AB0UA View Post
    I bought the radio at a flee market marked as CB base station for $75.00. I don't know how long it has been setting.
    Cosmetically its a 8 out of a 10. I down loaded the manuals to the radio and found in the trouble shooting guide of the
    service manual that it was either the AF unit or the HV supply. So I'm going to look there this weekend. I hope
    it will probably be the HV supply because I have some caps rated at 210 mfd at 450 volts. But if there is any other area
    that might be of concern from operators that have had this problem please let me know. My plans are to play with it
    for awhile and sell it.
    When replacing capacitors, you should follow the 80/20 rule. The original capacitor values were 100ufd. Therefore, the maximum upper limit in capacitance should not exceed
    180ufd and the maximum lower capacitance value should not exceed 80ufd.

I'm sure there may be more sources but the 2 that come to mind are

k4eaa.com

and

Mouser.com

Both sources sell suitable capacitors as replacements for the 520SE HV caps. I recommend you stick with the original "500VDC" voltage rating and do not exceed the
    80/20 rule.

Mouser sells a snap in capacitor with the same 100ufd 500VDC value/voltage rating the original capacitors had.

Mouser Electrolytic capacitors:

Capacitance value = 100ufd
    Voltage rating = 500VDC
    Temperature rating = 105c
    P/N = 647-LGN2H101MELZ40
    Price = $3.42 (each)

added information:

You should also measure the diameter of the original capacitors. The HV caps in the 520SE are mounted using round clamps. The new capacitor should fit in the original clamp and the clamp,
    when tightened, hold the capacitor firm. The capacitor should not move within the clamp with the clamp is tightened. Use the "data sheet" link to determine the correct diameter (portion of
    the part number in the data sheet tells you what that diameter is).

73s
    Mike
    Last edited by W5RKL; 09-01-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added information