ad: l-rl
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Hustler Cliff Dweller Vertical GP Antenna

Does anyone have details on this antenna,
    I assume it was made in the 60's .
    Embossed in the base are the words
    Hustler Cliff Dweller ,but no model number .
    It appears to be a 1/4 wave vertical ground plane .

I have the base section and mounting bracket only ,
    but can find no details of how long the vertical
    element should be and what bands it was intended for.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to repair this antenna.

As I recall (no research, but QST "ads" are included in the archives on line, so a bit of research would find this), the Cliff Dweller wasn't a vertical. It was a horizontal dipole intended for use from apartment balconies and such. I used to "sell" these, back in the late 1960s when I worked for a large ham radio dealer.

I'm guessing a bit, but it sounds to me like you only have part of the antenna.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    As I recall (no research, but QST "ads" are included in the archives on line, so a bit of research would find this), the Cliff Dweller wasn't a vertical. It was a horizontal dipole intended for use from apartment balconies and such. I used to "sell" these, back in the late 1960s when I worked for a large ham radio dealer.

I'm guessing a bit, but it sounds to me like you only have part of the antenna.

Thanks for your comments on my query on the antenna.
    What makes me think it was a vertical is below the base plate of the bell shaped antenna housing which is insulated form the metal base plate with a insulated circular ring are three U shaped clamps which appear to support
    three ,3/8 " diameter ground plane radials 120 degrees apart.

So this is why I based my thinking it was a vertical ground plane antenna , but not sure of the what freq it was designed for. as the main element was missing along with these GP elements.

Thanks,
    I will poke around the old adds to see if I can better identify what I have.

The "Cliff Dweller" I remember was a rotary dipole.

If you only have pieces of it, hard to say what you have. There may have been a vertical version, I just don't remember it.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    The "Cliff Dweller" I remember was a rotary dipole.

If you only have pieces of it, hard to say what you have. There may have been a vertical version, I just don't remember it.
    Yes I did find info on an earlier version which was called by the same name and was as suggested a rotatable dipole for
    80/40m , a motorized model CD-80/40 Hustler Cliff Dweller.

I have attached two photos of the unit I have which is possibly is a newer version that they came out with
    using the same housing but as a vertical ground plane model instead.
    There are no other stampings embosed on it to identify what the model was or frequency of operation.

HustlerCliffDweller -ve3edy-IMG_9213.jpg HustlerCliffDweller-ve3edy-IMG_9214.jpg

Front and side view , under the red primer painted base you can just see where
    the ground plane elements were to be inserted.

I have a cliff dweller rotable dipole, the 80/40 version (they made a 40 mono bander CD40 a 80 monobander CD80 & a 80/40 CD4080). I have never seen or heard of the one shown in your pictures. I wonder if it was converted from the original monobander either a 80 or 40? I could see that working if you had all the parts. Do you have the control box that pushes or pulls the elements in and out?

All I have is what you see in the photos, beyond that there is a matching circuit inside the bell housing which is basically
    10 turns on a coil form and a variable mica trim cap. which couples the feed point to the vertical element.

It is accessed through the hole just above the insulated ceramic feed point.

I have made a rather simple vertical element from some ridged aluminun electrical conduit and have tuned the antenna
    on 20m with a nearly flat match.

It is also a flat match on 17 and 15m as well so I am pleased with the fact it is resonate on these 3 bands.
    The counterpoise is a couple of random length drooping #14 guage wires lying on the ground .
    HustlerCliffDweller-ve3edy-IMG_9215.jpg

The four legged stand is the XYL's umbrella clothes line stand which doubles as a great antenna mount.

Quote Originally Posted by VE3EDY View Post
    Thanks for your comments on my query on the antenna.

So this is why I based my thinking it was a vertical ground plane antenna , but not sure of the what freq it was designed for. as the main element was missing along with these GP elements.
    With these sort of things, i have found there's really no point in wasting time trying to identify the original purpose of any parts you have found. There are virtually no unique store bought antennas, except perhaps the GAP Challenger vertical models. They are all just variations on verticals, trap verticals, quads and yagis, or whatever.

I find it faster to just look at the parts I have found and think about if they would be useful for any such type of antenna that would fit my lot and situation! If its an insulated base it will bork just fine for any vertical, trap or otherwise. If it is a good centre insulator, then it will be useful for any kind of dipole.

After you've used the parts to get your signal on the air you can use the parts as topics of conversation and research their history will USING them!@

Wild Bill VE3EKJ

The primary reason for starting this thread was for me to identify what in fact I had ,
    for restoration purposes
    Is it a base of a stand alone GP vertical ,or as some have pointed out , part of a motorized horizontal rotatable dipole built back in the early 60's.

The matching circuit I described inside the bell housing was manufactured by Hustler (NewTronics) for this particular antenna version.
    Identifying this matching circuit so as not to be confused with the rotatable version.

Its obvious by the lack of info found it must not have been a big seller.