ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-Waters

Default Unity Desktop Sucks

Got a new quad core i7 laptop and put Ubuntu 12.04 on it. I'm all for new stuff, but seems like they're doing like Windows 8 and making the desktop compatible with touch devices, only they're pissing off many thousands for the benefit of a few hundred tablets they MIGHT sell. I went back to Gnome. I know Xubuntu doesn't use Unity. How does it compare feature wise with Ubuntu (Apache, compilers, etc)? Thanks.

Also, if you have a cellphone or tablet, try m.ky5u.net and let me know what you think. My mobile device website. Also you can try u.ky5u.net which is experimental as KY5University. Click on a picture to learn more about the ham station component. Let me say again it's experimental.....
    KY5U-Ham Genius (Second Class)
    http://m.ky5u.net

Hi,

Xubuntu is a version of Ubuntu using Xfce as its desktop. I think it is officially supported by Canonical. The software stack is virtually the same. It might use a different terminal program or file manager or such utility programs. Apache, the databases, compilers and similar programs would be identical to Ubuntu. Just install the Xfce package on Ubuntu and you basically have Xubuntu with out reinstalling. Try Mate, it's a Gnome 2 clone developed by Mint Linux and it might be in Ubuntu's software repository.

They switched to the Unity desktop because they think the world is going to small handheld computers. Same with Windows 8 with respect to Microsoft and the same with Gnome 3. Shapes of things to come, I guess.

Ed

I don't like Unity much either. I switched to Mint 13 Cinnamon. It's got the feel of the old Gnome (at least similar to the way I always set mine up). I haven't tried Mate but I hear it's pretty similar. Mint uses the Ubuntu repos so you get all the same stuff and the desktop you like.

Thanks guys! I started with Debian, then tried Suse, Mint, and finally Ubuntu. I have stayed with Ubuntu for years but the selection of Unity is a deal breaker. I love my tablets, both iPad and Android (HP Touchpad) for all media consumption I do. But I wouldn't want to do development on my tablet.

Fedora - lets you use whatever you want, preconfigure several and choose the one that fits your 'mood' at that time.

Love'n it.

Quote Originally Posted by KA7O View Post
    Fedora - lets you use whatever you want, preconfigure several and choose the one that fits your 'mood' at that time.

Love'n it.
    I prefer Fedora my self, I'm an old Red Hat man. But almost all of the major distros have software repositories so can switch out desktops. It's the magic of open source software repositories and freedesktop.org. Because of the defacto standards set by freedesktop you can switch from desktop to desktop most of your preferences and installed software will show up in the new desktop, amazing.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by KY5U View Post
    Got a new quad core i7 laptop and put Ubuntu 12.04 on it.
    I've just done the same thing. I have Ubuntu 12.04 dual booting with Windows 7 on my new i7 HP laptop.

What is it that you don't like about Unity? It seems quite nice to me but I don't really have experience with anything else other than Windows to compare it with. I'm quite at home with the Linux command line but never really used a Linux GUI before.

If I get FLDIGI and gPodder running on Linux then I won't have much need for Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by KT1F View Post
    I've just done the same thing. I have Ubuntu 12.04 dual booting with Windows 7 on my new i7 HP laptop.

What is it that you don't like about Unity? It seems quite nice to me but I don't really have experience with anything else other than Windows to compare it with. I'm quite at home with the Linux command line but never really used a Linux GUI before.

If I get FLDIGI and gPodder running on Linux then I won't have much need for Windows.
    Well, I program as a hobby and Unity really sucks trying to navigate. It is aimed at tablet and hobby users. I switched back to Gnome.

SolusOS 1.2 Eveline Debian Linux

I went to this a few days ago.
    Been using linux for a long time and
    I find this to be very very nice to use.
    Couple of reviews at youtube on this,
    just came out about 8 days ago.

Good day Dennis