ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Angry kenwood tk-840 programing

HELP! I have the radio, software and cable. Ive connected the usb cable to the computer and started the software... It will not read, write or do anything! I keep getting a check the connection error. I dont have the patients for this I'm at witts end and I'm going to smash the damm radio on the floor. Any advise? Keeping in mind telling me not to smash the thing is not going to help much. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I had a similar problem with another brand of radio only to find that the cable was not completely seated in the radio.

If you are sure it's completely in place, then try another cable. I'm sure someone in a local club would have one you could try out. You could have a bad cable.

What cable and software are you trying to use?

Check your port configuration. Keep playing with it till you get it to read. Had the same thing with my Ht.
    :cool:KB1YLQ:cool:

ROOT CAUSE of majority of these issues is with USB to TTL cable for radio OR
    the OS Drivers for that USB chipset.
    Prolific USB chipsets are problematic, due to widespread counterfeiting of the USB chips in China.

I have heard many complaints from eBay purchasers ...from eastern Asia resellers.
    Nullius in verba

Quote Originally Posted by KB1YDB View Post
    HELP! I have the radio, software and cable. Ive connected the usb cable to the computer and started the software... It will not read, write or do anything! I keep getting a check the connection error. I dont have the patients for this I'm at witts end and I'm going to smash the damm radio on the floor. Any advise? Keeping in mind telling me not to smash the thing is not going to help much. What the hell am I doing wrong?
    The TK-840 is an older model commercial trunking radio. It is a pretty good radio, however, IIRC the software runs under DOS and will not work correctly under windows, especially if you are using a USB cable instead of the standard serial port cable.

I had one of these back in the late 90's and it worked very well.

Joe
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

Whether the Kenwood DOS programming software can function under Windows XP, I do not know.
    Joe indicates that the TK-840 software can not.

The GE MVP program software is DOS based,
    BUT I can use under Windows XP and with a serial (RS-232) cable.

Some Motorola LMR software has to run on an MS-DOS, and at a specific clock speed (< 200 MHz).

IF you are going to work/program On 1980s and early 1990s Land Mobile Radios (LMR),
    THEN you should have an MS-DOS computer with an RS-232 port available.
    I have one that I keep for this specific usage .... I got for FREE, being thrown out at local business.
    Last edited by W9GB; 09-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Nullius in verba

KB1VDB,
    As of last night, I was able to get the KPG-29D V 3.02 to run in a dos window under XP using a USB interface cable. The main issue is that the software will only recognize com 1 or com 2. So your usb interface needs to be assigned one of those come ports. I had to go into the bios on my old Dell Inspiron 1200 and turn off anything that maight want to use one of the com ports. That included the internal modem, NICS, and PCMCIA slot. Not sure if all of these would require a com port or not. I didn't want to take a chance. I then went into control panel, double clicked on system, the Hardware tab, selected hardware manager, and clicked on the ports (com & lpt) listing then double clicked on USB Serial Port, and selected port settings. I then selected advanced and selected the com port window and selected com2 even though it said it was in use. A window poped up stating selecting a com port already assigned might cause problems. I then said ok. this configured the usb as com2. This took me back one window where I verified the com port settings as 9600, 8, None, 1, and Xon/Xoff. This last setting you will most likely have to change from the default of None. That is all there is to getting the USB adapter to work with the dos software under Win XP. I had already installed the KPG-29D V302 to my hard drive and made a desktop link to the executable. I ran the software, and selected com2 from the setup menu. I configured the software for the frequencies I wanted. Hooked up the radio to power and a dummy load (just in case) and told it to write to the radio. It took maybe 10-15 seconds to write to the radio, and it was done. I did four TK-840-1 radios in about 10 minutes once I got everything set up properly.

MItch KJ7JA

I meant to say the KPG 25D software. Sorry for the confusion.

MItch KJ7JA