ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
    SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

The cloud idea is not very smart from the get-go..
    First in many cases you sign your rights to your material away...
    Second if your data gets lost you are out of luck and have nowhere to turn for damages.

When the cloud goes down you cannot do business.

Take responsibility for your own data, don't send it to the cloud..
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

using a cloud for storage purposes is pretty lame

if you're using it for distributed processing, it's awesome.

Also, about backups... redundant storage is not really a backup. That comment will undoubtably cause some confusion, but enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ View Post
    The cloud idea is not very smart from the get-go..
    First in many cases you sign your rights to your material away...
    Are you able to point to a Terms of Service or similar document on any cloud provider where you sign away rights to your material?

Quote Originally Posted by KT1F View Post
    Are you able to point to a Terms of Service or similar document on any cloud provider where you sign away rights to your material?
    I've seen some publicly accessible photo and blog sites with this disclaimer, but doubtful a private cloud storage provider would do this.

Hi,

When Cloud was first introduced, it appeared to be a Micro$haft product (That ought
    to make you suspicious iin the 1st place). As time progressed, there were different
    clouds, but none guaranteed security or hack-proof. It was at this point, I decided that
    cloud computing was not safe for making back-ups and plan to use the DVD burner to
    do mine.

The Part 90, Public Safety database will be in a seperate section of the 2TB hard drive and
    running DOS 6.22. The rest of the drive will be for pictures, music, electronics.

Submitted Respectfully,
    Regards,

Don/KA5LQJ

Quote Originally Posted by KF5FEI View Post
    I've seen some publicly accessible photo and blog sites with this disclaimer, but doubtful a private cloud storage provider would do this.
    Maybe I haven't seen enough sites but I've never seen a big name / mainstream site that says if you upload a photo or writing or other content then we own your content.

The thing that most sites have is a clause that says something like "You grant us permission to make it available on the internet for the purposes of operating the service". If you read those clauses carefully, they need that to cover themselves and make the service actually work. If you upload a photo to Flickr, you need to grant Flickr the right to send it out again through a web server otherwise the system cannot even function.

Most of the uproar that has occurred from time to time over the years with terms of service on various sites seem to have been a misunderstanding of that clause, sometimes because of bad wording

Wozniak hasn't been right since the crash. He's functionally a derp. He's happy and folks humor him so I am glad for him, but his opinion are like listening to "Corky" from Life Goes On.
    KY5U - Be a REAL amateur, learn CW.

Quote Originally Posted by KT1F View Post
    Maybe I haven't seen enough sites but I've never seen a big name / mainstream site that says if you upload a photo or writing or other content then we own your content.

The thing that most sites have is a clause that says something like "You grant us permission to make it available on the internet for the purposes of operating the service". If you read those clauses carefully, they need that to cover themselves and make the service actually work. If you upload a photo to Flickr, you need to grant Flickr the right to send it out again through a web server otherwise the system cannot even function.

Most of the uproar that has occurred from time to time over the years with terms of service on various sites seem to have been a misunderstanding of that clause, sometimes because of bad wording
    OK, it sounds like you aren't familiar with the purpose of cloud storage. It is 3rd party, off-site, live, private storage. The storage space is supposed to be private, confidential, and only accessible by the user. A place that exists on the internet for you to store secure copies of documents, phone books, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Amazing that such a low tech attack can take out such a high tech target.

I sure would like to hear a recording of that social engineering phone call the hacker made to the "help desk".
    73 de Bob - AB8MA

Quote Originally Posted by KA5LQJ View Post
    Hi,

When Cloud was first introduced, it appeared to be a Micro$haft product (That ought
    to make you suspicious iin the 1st place).
    It's not a "product" at all.

It's a method of storage.

So don't look for a brand name to be attached to it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast