ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

Quote Originally Posted by N0NB View Post

I don't often debate the local guru as it's pointless to take on an ego, but I'd like to know on what planet the K3 is a "marginal SSB radio". That has to be among the more misinformed statements I've read in some time.
    My impressions, having used them lots of times for lots of hours. I also have three very close by neighbors with K3s (WA6DKN, K6SMF are line of sight to me and friends, and very active) and I hear what they sound like every day.

My impressions are based on modulation characteristics of the TX. The receivers are fine.

But also: IMO, if it takes months of operating to take advantage of what a piece of equipment really has to offer...that's really a long time.

Let's get on the air together and make some tandem contacts, see what others think.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

I think the best indication that I am happy with my K3 is that rig ads in QST no longer interest me like they once did.

Quote Originally Posted by KG6MZS View Post
    I think the best indication that I am happy with my K3 is that rig ads in QST no longer interest me like they once did.
    That is a good sign.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Remember, Elecraft is a relatively new company. It earliest offerings (K1, K2 series), while still available, did not originally sell in huge quantities -- certainly enough to fuel the success of the company, though. The equipment is top notch, and they have an excellent reputation (well deserved) for quality, and for customer support.

As a result, Elecraft gear tends to be sparse on the used market. It tends to command a premium, and sell quickly.

BTW, I know of a K3/100 owner who is considering parting with his K2. Want me to let you know if he decides to sell it?
    Eric and Wayne have been building radios for more than three decades, Elecraft the company was started in 1997, and the K2 and K1 models sold thousands. My K2 is numbered in the 4000'S and my K1 is numbered in the 2700's. They are in use worldwide and have been greatly successful. You can even still buy them new and build them yourself. I just sold my KX-1 and I am toying with the idea of a new K3 later this year.

My advice for those looking for used gear is the join the Elecraft reflector, as gear pops up there almost weekly. Also keep an eye out on QTH.COM. I have bought most of my used Elecraft stuff from several of the various QRP reflectors, and I would say that is probably the best place to watch. (QRP-L, FPqrp-L, etc)

God bless America

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    My impressions, having used them lots of times for lots of hours. I also have three very close by neighbors with K3s (WA6DKN, K6SMF are line of sight to me and friends, and very active) and I hear what they sound like every day.

My impressions are based on modulation characteristics of the TX. The receivers are fine.

But also: IMO, if it takes months of operating to take advantage of what a piece of equipment really has to offer...that's really a long time.

Let's get on the air together and make some tandem contacts, see what others think.
    They must have the TX EQ set wrong.
    The radio got a bad rap 4 years ago when it came out because most folks hadn't ever had or used a rig with TX EQ built in.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you don't have the time or technical chops to configure the radio properly buy something else.
    99.95% of all SSB problems with the K3 are PEBCAM (Problem Exists Between Chair And Mic).
    ACH,
    Member ARRL, SKCC #215, NAQCC #3441, FISTS #11993

Quote Originally Posted by AC0H View Post
    They must have the TX EQ set wrong.
    The radio got a bad rap 4 years ago when it came out because most folks hadn't ever had or used a rig with TX EQ built in.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you don't have the time or technical chops to configure the radio properly buy something else.
    99.95% of all SSB problems with the K3 are PEBCAM (Problem Exists Between Chair And Mic).
    That could be. Let's get on the air on SSB at the same time and work some stations in tandem, see what they say. I'm game, could do it this afternoon/early evening.

-- George Bernard Shaw

I agree with Steve.

After years of listening to Bill, K4XS, pound a signal into Alaska from the Big Island, I've concluded the same thing, that the K3's SSB modulation is only okay at best. Good sigs, just not the nicest or cleanest SSB signal around.

The transmitter could be improved...

BTW, Bill's back in Florida now... don't know why.

73, Steve, NL7W
    Not in but around Palmer, Alaska

If you haven't visited the Elecraft website in a while, the K3 had a baby, the KX3.

http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/kx3.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NL7W View Post
    I agree with Steve.

After years of listening to Bill, K4XS, pound a signal into Alaska from the Big Island, I've concluded the same thing, that the K3's SSB modulation is only okay at best. Good sigs, just not the nicest or cleanest SSB signal around.

The transmitter could be improved...

BTW, Bill's back in Florida now... don't know why.
    He told me it was his XYL's idea...I think she was getting island fever.

-- George Bernard Shaw

That could be. Let's get on the air on SSB at the same time and work some stations in tandem, see what they say. I'm game, could do it this afternoon/early evening.
    No takers?

Anyone with a K3 who would like to get some comparative reports?

-- George Bernard Shaw

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast