ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Quote Originally Posted by KB3PXR View Post
    Pat, looking at the display on that, it looks like the PTT is stuck on. When you switch over to talk on the two meter side it may key up that section instead. You may have to find what is keeping the PTT on as I don't think the PTT line is seperate where the fault is since the display is indicating PTT.
    Actually, that is the correct display. The symbol "PTT" shows up on the band of interest designating it as the band being available to transmit on. When you actually DO transmit, it displays an "ON THE AIR" logo. Something on the 450 side IS stuck in transmit, which is why I had to remove the PA module. It RECEIVES while it transmits! The display showed a Full scale signal and it put out power WHILE RECEIVING, so some PTT transistor is blown somewhere. I ran out of time and interest in fixing it. Not enough 450 activitiy to need a true dualband. 2 Meters is quite enough. At the present, it is in the very full RADIO MUSEUM until I score another GPS to make it into an APRS Tracker.

It also cannot be shut off. Even when the display is off, you can still hear audio out of the speaker!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

The 733 has a lot of neat features, way more than I can remember right now but it's still a great radio with a few known issues. Such as one (or both) of the coax center conductors needing to be resoldered to the pcb at times.

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    Actually, that is the correct display. The symbol "PTT" shows up on the band of interest designating it as the band being available to transmit on. When you actually DO transmit, it displays an "ON THE AIR" logo. Something on the 450 side IS stuck in transmit, which is why I had to remove the PA module. It RECEIVES while it transmits! The display showed a Full scale signal and it put out power WHILE RECEIVING, so some PTT transistor is blown somewhere. I ran out of time and interest in fixing it. Not enough 450 activitiy to need a true dualband. 2 Meters is quite enough. At the present, it is in the very full RADIO MUSEUM until I score another GPS to make it into an APRS Tracker.

It also cannot be shut off. Even when the display is off, you can still hear audio out of the speaker!
    Which is why it would make a perfect .435 monitor. You can't shut off some of "those people"!
    Pull my finger. Part II. On second thought, pull your own finger.

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by WN6U View Post
    Which is why it would make a perfect .435 monitor. You can't shut off some of "those people"!

I love that!!
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    The Town Car used 3/4 of a tank of gas for the trip thanks to the PHENOMANAL Gas Mileage for a Luxury Car. The only food I had was a 7-11 coffee. A tank of gas was $55, so I guess about $40 of that was used for the trip. Free Admission!!! No companions. But I did get alot to eat at the Radio Club picnic when I got back. I always enjoy the swapmeets. It's ENTERTAINMENT! And I just might stumble across a SX-88 for $100!
    Pat, you could get even better gas milage with a credit card from the Bank Of Oklahoma check it out I think the terms are kind of freeform and the prices are right;P http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...0credit%20card 73, I wish I could do that kind of stuff but not these days anyway. 73,Michelle P.S. brain fart, I meant go to swapmeets, not use my credit card!

Ponied up to the Bar, with an umbrella in my drink.

Quote Originally Posted by N2EY View Post
    Not to be negative, but....

It's about 240 miles round-trip from Crest to Chino/Riverside. At least 10 gallons of gas at $4 a gallon, plus admission, food, etc. So the real cost is more like $50, not counting the time and effort to get it to work......

73 de Jim, N2EY
    Not neccesarily.

Had the $5 radio been Pat's only purchase, I might agree with you. But he did make several other purchases. So on the one hand, you can make the case that the cost of travel & admission should be split amongst the various purchased items to determine net cost. (Whether being split evenly or proportionally along item value being left as an academic exercise for those so inclined)

On the other hand, you can also make the case that Pat would have made the trip anyway, regardless of purchase(s). Therefore, the $45 or so fixed cost is simply part of the overhead, the cost of doing (museum) business if you will, and is not neccesarily a direct (if proportional) additional cost to the value of the items.

Either way, it's a nice story.
    Stay Calm & RTJR! LGB!

Those swapmeets and hamfest can be a great learning experience especialy if it has vintage gear or intersing things like roller inductors, huge variable caps, tubes, like a museum and bazaar in one place.
    This is a great chance for those who want to learn more just being there, and to me that is a lot of enjoyment , AHHH, I love the smell of surplus gear in the morning I say that paraphrase with apologies to Robert Duvall!
    But ya can't deny the smell of that fungicide they used has a kind of "new car " kind of appeal
    I hope to be able to go to a few but money is always something I need or want and always a few bucks too much,and gas, gosh I can remember at least a few times I gave in to temptation and relied on the gas I had to get home and I remember it was always bone dry tank when I got home
    But I digress, I do not attend many as not many of my old gang left here they either got married, moved away, or passed away.
    Pat has the kind of luck finding that stuff I do too when I want it it always miraculously appears somehow!
    anyhow, 73 everyone, I'd like to find a winning Powerball ticket but that is another story.
    Best Wishes, Michelle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2