ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default Kenwood TV-502 2 Meter VHF Transverter

Hello all. This might be an odd request/inquiry. I've had my old Kenwood TS 520S sitting on my desk here for over 20 years. Right after I got my general ticket back then I went out and bought it. I don't use it hardly at all; I play with VHF much more often or QRP CW when the urge for HF really hits. I stumbled onto a listing on eBay for a Kenwood TV-502 2 meter transverter. I didn't know there was such a thing for this radio. This old boat anchor works fine but if it could be used on 2 meters that might be a whole lot of fun.

So - does anyone have any experience with this transverter? Does anyone have one lying around?

Many thanks,
    Dan
    N3HNA

Not very sensitive and 8-10W output if I remember. With a good preamp it will both hear better and overload easier. Good for a shelf display or local chatting.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by KM1H View Post
    Not very sensitive and 8-10W output if I remember. With a good preamp it will both hear better and overload easier. Good for a shelf display or local chatting.

Carl
    Hi Carl,
    Thanks for the reply. After some more research it also looks like this transverter doesn't cover the whole 2mtr band either (144-145.7). This limited range combined with greatly reduced power out and no PL tones (without some additional tinkering) was less attractive than initially thought. It looked interesting when I stumbled onto it the other day.

Thanks again,
    Dan
    N3HNA

Hey, Dan, you would usually need PL tones for FM repeater work. I wasn't aware the TS-520 could do FM. The TV-502 is an interesting unit and for it's day it was okay. Today there are much better transverters like the units offered by Elecraft and Microwave Assoc. These don't match the TS-520 but they will do much better. The Elecraft units can be purchased as a kit so you can put it together yourself.
    Have fun
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by KO6WB View Post
    Hey, Dan, you would usually need PL tones for FM repeater work. I wasn't aware the TS-520 could do FM. The TV-502 is an interesting unit and for it's day it was okay. Today there are much better transverters like the units offered by Elecraft and Microwave Assoc. These don't match the TS-520 but they will do much better. The Elecraft units can be purchased as a kit so you can put it together yourself.
    Have fun
    Gary
    Thanks Gary for the reply and information.

Dan
    N3HNA

Quote Originally Posted by N3HNA View Post
    Hi Carl,
    Thanks for the reply. After some more research it also looks like this transverter doesn't cover the whole 2mtr band either (144-145.7). This limited range combined with greatly reduced power out and no PL tones (without some additional tinkering) was less attractive than initially thought. It looked interesting when I stumbled onto it the other day.

Thanks again,
    Dan
    N3HNA
    That's way more tuning range than it needs, since 100% of ALL CW and SSB activity on two meters is 144.0 to 144.3 or so. If you ever hear an SSB station above 144.3 it's probably an accident and the guy didn't really mean to be up that high in the band.

The transverter can only "convert" the TS-520S to two meters, it can't add new modes! The 520S is CW-SSB-RTTY only, so that's what the TV-502 would be on two meters.

They were pretty popular (as was the TV-506 for six meters) in the late 70s and seemed to work okay. Low power, though.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?