ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Booting MS DOS 6.22 from a USB stick

For all you vintage OS fans... Today I figured out a way to make a MS DOS 6.22 Bootable USB stick. It was kind of tricky. I needed to do this to get an old Needham's Electronics EMP-10 EPROM programmer running. I couldn't do it virtually (at least not in VirtualBox) because the EPROM programmer needed a native connection to the parallel port. This is how I did it:

REQUIREMENTS

USB Stick - I used a 128MB stick
    MS DOS 6.22 Floppy Images - I found them here
    Oracle VirtualBox
    BIOS that supports booting from USB HDD

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Run DISKPART. Select and clean the USB Stick.
    2. Here's the tricky part. Create a link in VirtualBox to the physical USB stick. This website shows you how to do it. When you open your command windows, run cmd as an administrator or it won't work.
    3. Run VirtualBox as an administrator. Create a virtual machine and add the physical USB stick to the IDE controller. Add the first MS DOS 6.22 setup disk image to the floppy controller.
    4. Boot the virtual machine and install DOS.
    5. Exit VirtualBox and reboot your computer. Before your computer boots to your hard drive, press the key to enter the boot menu. On my computer, you hit F12 for the boot menu. My USB stick shows up in the list of hard drives.
    6. Enjoy flashing back to 1985!

My instructions were brief because I'm not sure if anyone cares about this. I thought it was pretty cool myself. To think I ran this software on an IBM XT with a Intel 8088 and a 20MB Seagate ST-225! If anyone wants a detailed explanation of any of the steps or has any questions, please ask.

ss1.gif ss2.gif ss3.gif ss4.gif

Thumbs up Back down memory lane.......

Quote Originally Posted by KK6RF View Post
    I figured out a way to make a MS DOS 6.22 Bootable USB stick. I'm not sure if anyone cares about this. I thought it was pretty cool myself.

Thanks for the info. Never know if I'll need to resuscitate my Acma 486 with its 'huge' 105 MB hard drive and Sony 4x CD player with adapter card. I miss the days of customising prompts via ANSI.sys........

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

This isi good and for those who need to run older software for whatever reason it will come in handy.
    When it's time, it's time, and it maybe sooner than you think.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

What is this DOS thing you speak of?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Default The Disk Operating System thingy...........

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    What is this DOS thing you speak of?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
    DOS (English pronunciation: /dɒs/), short for "Disk Operating System",[1] is an acronym for several closely related operating systems that dominated the IBM PC compatible market between 1981 and 1995, or until about 2000 if one includes the partially DOS-based Microsoft Windows versions 95, 98, and Millennium Edition.
    Related systems include MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS, PTS-DOS, ROM-DOS, Novell DOS, OpenDOS and several others.

MS-DOS ( /ˌɛmɛsˈdɒs/ EM-es-DOSS; short for Microsoft Disk Operating System) is an operating system for x86-based personal computers. It was the most commonly used member of the DOS family of operating systems, and was the main operating system for IBM PC compatible personal computers during the 1980s to the mid 1990s, until it was gradually superseded by operating systems offering a graphical user interface (GUI), in particular by various generations of the Microsoft Windows operating system.

Reference: WiKipedia............

Under Windows GUI's, if you go -- Start Menu, Run, into the dialog box you enter "cmd"; and OK, you'll get a command line "DOS" interface.......

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Oh, that thing I have been using since 1980. Tnx for the info---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

I eliminate THAT problem by simply having a small C: partition (typically 2 GB) and configuring my computers as dual-boot, with DOS 6.22 and whatever flavour of Windows I plan to use. With two hard drives, Windows is typically installed into the E: partition. At turn-on, I have 30 seconds to select DOS or Windows from the start-up menu.

Default allowio works good also

Another thing that you can do to get around the limitation of using Ports with older software is to use "allowio.exe".

It lets programs that need direct I/O for ports to be available for any program that needs direct hardware access.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Will it support my old 8 bit ISA RLL controller?
    [SIZE=1][B]"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A Heinlein[/B][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast