Well, the first part of the transplant is done....removal of the bad part!!!
Well, I just spent the evening, doing NOT what I had anticipated doing, on Field Day weekend. I removed coil 6016, and am posting my findings. I guess I had MY version of a field day BBQ, because this thing is burned to a crisp. Luckily, I believe I have found another, one, for a reasonable price. I guess I was definitely getting RF, back into the coil. No doubt. Anyway, here, for your perusal, and my embarrassment, are pictures of the final product of my screw up. It's a PITA, to get this thing out, and likely going to be a bigger PITA, to get it all back together. But, I am happy with myself, for getting this far. My color perception deficiency, has always made me flat out scared to try to do things myself. But, this time, I took LOTS of pictures, and notes, and left myself "clues" or "breadcrumbs", to find my way back together, correctly.
Let the embarrassment begin.....
Attachment 95788Attachment 95789Attachment 95790Attachment 95791
Okay Dan, making progress. Do not know if you got the knobs off yet but if not put the unit so the set screw hole is straight up and down. Put a drop or two of light weight oil into the set screw hole. Let it sit overnight and see if that doesn't help you get them off.
BTW I've seen a lot worse burnt up parts then your coil and I might add it was by my own hand as well, Opps
If you can, snip the wire for the coil as close to the terminal as you can. Keep a hold of the wire when you do this to prevent it from taking off and unwinding on it's own. Now start to remove the burnt up wire and count the turns as you go. Save the wire for proper sizing and then see if a local motor winding shop has some. Don't need much to make the coil.
The coil form may need replacement if it has burnt as well. If you can clean off the carbon traces then you are probably okay to use the same form.
Hope this helps
Ah to bad, you let the smoke out! nice pics of the problem areas...catch you on the local repeater!
Good luck!, Dan n6dpg
Originally Posted by KO6WB
Actually, I found a way to get the shaft out the back of the case, and do not need to take those knobs off, any longer. As a matter of fact, I can spend this morning, re-assembling the face. None of the face knobs needed to be removed at all. This was what I was hoping to learn from someone, but, being that it is Field Day weekend, there wasn't the usual chorus of helpful people available, and I had to learn the hard way. But, I guess it's a good way to learn. You tend to NOT repeat mistakes, when you learn the hard way.
I'll keep everyone posted, as I progress.