ad: M2Ant-1

W4B First in Flight Centennial Special Event Sta

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4GRW, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4GRW

W4GRW Ham Member QRZ Page

Historic Centennial Celebration of the Wright Brothers First Flight, Special Event Station, W4B.
    The NC Special Event Group NC Special Event Group is proud to announce that we are now operating as W4B as part of the First Flight Centennial Celebration. Please join us on the air, from Kitty Hawk, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, as we celebrate the Wright Brothers, "twelve seconds that changed the world".

W4B Special Event Frequencies

3.860  7.260  14.260  21.330  28.460  SSB  + or - .010

3.550  7.050  14.050  21.050  28.050  CW  + or - .010

One station will be on 14.260 continuously as propagation permits from Dec 12, 2003 through December 17, 2003  - The second station will alternate between SSB and CW depending on operator availability and may be found on any of the above frequencies as propagation permits.

W4B Operating Times

Beginning December 12, 2003 at 1700 UTC - Ending December 17, 2003 at 2000 UTC

For QSL information, please see the W4B websiteW4B First in Flight QSL information
    Thanks to Kenwood, Heil Sound, & MFJ Enterprises for their assistance.

For additional information
    Official First in Flight Centennial Website

thanks, W4GRW

2. K2TFT

K2TFT Guest

DONT FORGET TO MENTION WHAT YOUR WEBSITE SAYS.."DONT JUST SEND A QSL" ENCLOSE 5 DOLLARS AND NO SASE. WHAT A RIP OFF CONSIDERING THE WHOLE EVENT WAS SPONSORED BY HAM GEAR BOYS. TO SPOIL SOMETHING THIS GREAT I HOPE YOU CHOKE ON ALL THE 5 BUCKS YOU DONT GET!! [​IMG]

3. K4SCH

K4SCH Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  from k2tft "I HOPE YOU CHOKE ON ALL THE 5 BUCKS YOU DONT GET!!"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Just another fine example of some of the great attitudes found in ham radio today. Seriously folks I think we as a group can be a little bit more intelligent than this.

4. KC0JEZ

KC0JEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2TFT @ Dec. 14 2003,15:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DONT FORGET TO MENTION WHAT YOUR WEBSITE SAYS.."DONT JUST SEND A QSL" ENCLOSE 5 DOLLARS AND NO SASE.  WHAT A RIP OFF CONSIDERING THE WHOLE EVENT WAS SPONSORED BY HAM GEAR BOYS.  TO SPOIL SOMETHING THIS GREAT I HOPE YOU CHOKE ON ALL THE 5 BUCKS YOU DONT GET!! [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Boy, you must hate lots of special event stations and awards.  Did you see that you don't get a QSL card for 5 bucks? You get a certificate, probably mailed flat, along with other items including discount coupons from various manufacturers.  I'll bet the value received far surpasses the measly 5 bucks. Look thru your next ham magazine and see how many other special events, awards, etc.. ask for a few bucks to defray the cost. Just mailing a certificate costs a buck..if not more by the time you buy a 9 x 12 envelope, etc. Im guessing that the sponsorship by the radio folks refers to the coupons they provided, which helps the club cover their costs by inticing people to send the $5 for the certificate and other goodies.  Loosen up a bit and if the five bucks'll kill ya, don't participate.  Heck, I might even send 'em five bucks to help 'em out even though I can't work 'em. Yeesh.

5. N2RXK

N2RXK Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2TFT @ Dec. 14 2003,18:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">TO SPOIL SOMETHING THIS GREAT I HOPE YOU CHOKE ON ALL THE 5 BUCKS YOU DONT GET!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    [​IMG]  It is to bad that we can't give feedback for postings like they do on eBay...maybe that would cause people to be a bit more diplomatic!! I may or may not agree with his comment, but I certainly don't agree with the WAY [​IMG] he said it.  Happy Holidays to all. Bob N2RXK

6. VE7IBJ

VE7IBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Five greenbacks is a bit steep, especially if you're not in the U.S.  Looking at about $8cdn, plus $.80 postage, exchange fees, tax, etc... Not only that, coupons are only good if you actually plan on purchasing something. Even then, they're available at any ham outlet.
    Me? I'm going out to the Canadian Museum of Flight in Langley, B.C. on wednesday and put my $$$ into the donation box.  

Roy

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I sent my $5.00 to them with my qsl card and i was very proud to do it. an event like this involves a lot of effort on their part. the least we can do as fellow amateurs is To SUPPORT IT as best as we all can. so 73 to all and have a very happy holiday and a very good new year.      TOM N2NZJ [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

8. K2TFT

K2TFT Guest

All I wanted was a QSL card. Don't need the k-mart ads or the ham radio stuff i can't afford anyway....criminy

9. K2TFT

K2TFT Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N2NZJ @ Dec. 15 2003,22:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I sent my $5.00 to them with my qsl card and i was very proud to do it. an event like this involves a lot of effort on their part. the least we can do as fellow amateurs is To SUPPORT IT as best as we all can. so 73 to all and have a very happy holiday and a very good new year.      TOM N2NZJ [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    maybe thats the only way you can collect cards with your rubber duck antenna...har har...throught some irlp or echo link. [​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

To all the people operating W4B thanks for putting on an IMPRESSIVE EVENT. I and many others enjoyed working you guys. hope the event was as successfull as you all hoped it would be???. [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  73 to all TOM N2NZJ 12/17/03

11. W6DX

W6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, postage for an 8-1/2 by 11 inch certificate mailed flat is only 49 cents at the post office. Since the website says that "most of the cost" is in the postage, that means that they have less than a buck in the whole thing, including paper, envolope, and postage.

Five dollars does seem a bit high. This isn't a "servce to hams," it's a business! Too bad; one of the pivotal moments in American history is being used by a few hams to profit from others.

Barrie, W6DX

12. K2TFT

K2TFT Guest

tnx w6dx thats what i was trying to say....i am just not good with words i guess. happy holidays to all rich.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

It has been said time and time again that a QSL is "the final courtesy" of a QSO.  In my world, a "courtesy" is something freely given, not something to which a steep price is attached.

$5?  Wow.  I understand that the monies are required because "[t]he cost of operating an event of this size is very large," and   "[m]ost [of the $5 charge] of this is mailing cost."  Well, I don't know what that means; it's a bit vague.

I am reminded of a group of guys who went down to PJ2 a few weeks back.  If you operate HF, you almost surely heard them.  They were a bunch of retirees from Illinois who presumably went down to site-see, enjoy the sun, drink a few cold ones, and make bunches of QSOs.  I worked them; it sounded like they had a big time.  I have no doubt they had significant hard costs like travel, food, and the rent on the PJ2T station.  Yet, all they want is an SASE.

Why the difference?

By the way. is the NCSEG a §501&copy;(3)?

I am sure that nothing NCSEG is doing is improper.  It just seems a bit outside the spirit of the hobby, that's all.

I think I'll take my $5 and drop it in a Salvation Army pot today.  I'll feel better about spending my money that way.

Peter Baskind, JD, LLM
    N4LI

14. K4VU

K4VU Ham Member QRZ Page

nice job, guys -- glad to see that you were on the air to mark this moment.

73/robin/k4vu

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I AGREE THEY DID A FANTASTIC JOB. I am glad i sent my qsl card and the five U S D'S to them as this was a once in a life time event. I would do it again. 73 to all and a very happy holiday. [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  TOM N2NZJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.