ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Default Best 2 meter HT antenna

Who makes the best 2 meter ht antenna with the most gain? It's a SMA type.

DIAMOND SRHF40, 1/4 wavelength flexible antenna with SMA. This is the most practical full size quarterwave antenna for an HT.

It doesn't really have any gain. It has negative gain.

There are very long telescoping antennas like the Pryme AL-800. They are awkward and will break the connector on your radio if you don't snap the whip itself. It functions as a half wave on 2m. The problem is what kind of ground is underneath it. So whatever gain is claimed, is largely lost in your body and to surrounding objects, not to mention the matching components of the antenna itself. It will probably outperform a shorter antenna anyway. It does not have an SMA connector, you'd need an adapter that will further stress the connector on the radio.

Stick with the 16" or so flexible model antennas. Several other manufacturers make them as well, and they'll also work ok on UHF.

Some people have success fashioning a ground radial/counterpoise out of a quarter wavelength long piece of wire clipped to the chassis of the radio, called a tiger or rat tail.
    Last edited by K1DNR; 06-19-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    Charley K1DNR

I use the Diamond SRH77CA. I liked it enough to buy a 2nd one for my other handheld. 1/4 wave on 2m, 1/2 wave on 70cm. They're claiming a 2.15dBi gain on 70cm for whatever that's worth. Personally I don't really look at gain numbers on a HT - they're not going to give you that much difference in performance.
    My $0.02

Lee, AK7OZ
    Bozeman, MT

I would get the 77CA for your day to day use; you really will like that antenna, but there is another antenna on the market that's a little bit better; in my (non-scientific) testing with both the 77CA and the Smiley 270A, I found the Smiley to be just enough better to go from noisy to full quieting on a local repeater when I'm at my house

http://www.smileyantenna.com/product...products_id=55

Smiley also sells a longer, dedicated 2-meter antenna that will give you even more gain. However, the trade off is that you've got to be even pickier with the angle that you hold the radio.

I like the Smiley 270A - comes in bnc & sma versions - have one on vx3r - another on my other ht. 3 bands adjustable. Works great, 22 bucks+-: 73 K1WJ dave

I spent many hours comparing many side by side. The Diamond SRH77CA always came out to be the winner.
    73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

Quote Originally Posted by K7OZB View Post
    I use the Diamond SRH77CA. I liked it enough to buy a 2nd one for my other handheld. 1/4 wave on 2m, 1/2 wave on 70cm. They're claiming a 2.15dBi gain on 70cm for whatever that's worth. Personally I don't really look at gain numbers on a HT - they're not going to give you that much difference in performance.
    Check your math ! If the antenna is advertized that way it is a big lie ! A Quarterwave on 2M is close to 3/4 wave on 70cM ! Just a fact of physics !
    A 3/4 wave whip has a big high angle lobe that send's half your radiated power up into the sky ! Are you going to be working any aero-mobile stations on 446.000 simplex???/
    It will work about as well as a 1/4 wave whip at low angles (where the repaters are located).
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Quote Originally Posted by K8JD View Post
    Check your math ! If the antenna is advertized that way it is a big lie ! A Quarterwave on 2M is close to 3/4 wave on 70cM ! Just a fact of physics !
    A 3/4 wave whip has a big high angle lobe that send's half your radiated power up into the sky ! Are you going to be working any aero-mobile stations on 446.000 simplex???/
    It will work about as well as a 1/4 wave whip at low angles (where the repaters are located).
    Math? At that hour? I just copied what was on the package through one half opened eye between sips of coffee!
    My $0.02

Lee, AK7OZ
    Bozeman, MT