Callsign
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: LOTW, I'm Not Impressed.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

  1. #1

    Default LOTW, I'm Not Impressed.

    Well, I finally got on LOTW, uploaded my log(s) and walla, I can look at all my contacts, but so can I with my logging program in my own computer. Basically, I'm left scratching my head wondering how is LOTW different from my own log and what are the benefits and advantages of LOTW over my own log. Is LOTW cloud computing?

    I don't know, but for all the hype, LOTW is to me a disappointment.

    K2WH

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K2WH View Post
    Well, I finally got on LOTW, uploaded my log(s) and walla, I can look at all my contacts, but so can I with my logging program in my own computer. Basically, I'm left scratching my head wondering how is LOTW different from my own log and what are the benefits and advantages of LOTW over my own log. Is LOTW cloud computing?

    I don't know, but for all the hype, LOTW is to me a disappointment.

    K2WH
    It's not intended to be used as a logbook. It's simply a QSO matching system for generating electronic QSLs, that's all.

    It's just that Logbook Of The World is easier to say and has a shorter acronym than Electronic QSO Matching Computer, or EQSOMatCom

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WN9HJW View Post
    It's not intended to be used as a logbook. It's simply a QSO matching system for generating electronic QSLs, that's all.

    It's just that Logbook Of The World is easier to say and has a shorter acronym than Electronic QSO Matching Computer, or EQSOMatCom
    Well, then I have had a total misunderstanding of what it is and what it does. I already have most awards from ARRL and no longer seek new ones. I thought it matched QSO's but all I see is a list of my log, nothing more except for some entries, it displays the name of a country under the QSL column.

    Whatever that is supposed to signify, I do not know.

    K2WH

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    2,382

    Default LOTW

    Bill,

    Since you have been posting about your various difficulties with LOTW for weeks now, its not surprising that you still apparently don't understand nor appreciate the LOTW.

    It is not a logging program, it is an award program that includes an ability to store your log. The name is probably a bit of a misnomer, but that's what it is. The LOTW exists for two primary reasons.

    1. ARRL awards.

    2. Off-line storage of your logs.

    Period.

    Having taken advantage of both aspects of the LOTW, I can say that it does a good job at those two functions. Soon, the CQ awards will be added to the LOTW giving us the ability to apply for WPX and WAZ awards through the LOTW.

    I really don't know what your expectations were, but it really appears that you either don't understand the intent or purpose very well or maybe you are just indulging in some ARRL bashing.

    Either way, maybe you can settle down and stop whining about LOTW now?

    If you don't like it, fine. Don't use it but the incessant whining is tiresome.

    73 Gary

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    342

    Default

    I'll answer your question from my viewpoint only and what it means to me (my opinion only so it is all correct to me...people get heated up over the subject of LOTW):

    1. It allows others who do like ARRL awards the possibility of obtaining them without having to mess with the cards (or at least as many)

    2. It saves them money and it saves you money (if you are applying for awards)

    3. It saves you from having to mail your cards off to the ARRL and getting lost in the mail or damaged (a possibility)

    4. It is a log you can also download if you misplace yours

    5. It saves time....If I want to work South Carolina on 10 bands and 18 modes, its just a lot of time and money sending out the cards to obtain a QSL...if half of them have LOTW and you need them for an award you'll spend more time on the radio and less doing office work...

    6. Off topic, but I feel the same way about EQSL...I don't really care about it at all but I upload every contact anyway. It allows others who like the EQSL awards to get them.

    7. LOTW is fast and simple. I can upload 1000's of contacts in seconds and I am done. Don't need to do anything else such as confirm them. Lots of logging programs will sync up with LOTW with a simple push of a button.

    I do see your frustration. My wife had to help me set it up. They would have more users if it was simpler. We all have to remember simple for one person is not simple for another. Some are clueless with computer things, some are a natural. Even if you follow the instructions perfectly it can still be confusing if you are not familiar with the terms. I can go open a checking account at a bank down the streeet and setup online banking with them and it would be a much simpler task. At this point, I know it inside/out and can move the certificates from computer to computer. I could not do that at first.

    Jon
    WD0MYM
    73
    Last edited by WD0MYM; 06-16-2012 at 05:46 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Kilowatt Alley
    Posts
    10,017

    Default

    All it really does is allow for electronic QSL confirmations between it's users for awards to help keep the QSLing costs down.
    It does in a sense provide a backup for a computer log but it won't have other than the basic info, no names and other notes. Better than nothing though!
    None of us are so rare in the US that we will be missed if we don't use it so if you don't want to use it don't worry about it.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Highland,IN
    Posts
    8,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WD0MYM View Post
    I'll answer your question from my viewpoint only and what it means to me (my opinion only so it is all correct to me...people get heated up over the subject of LOTW):

    1. It allows others who do like ARRL awards the possibility of obtaining them without having to mess with the cards (or at least as many)

    2. It saves them money and it saves you money (if you are applying for awards)

    3. It saves you from having to mail your cards off to the ARRL and getting lost in the mail or damaged (a possibility)

    4. It is a log you can also download if you misplace yours

    5. It saves time....If I want to work South Carolina on 10 bands and 18 modes, its just a lot of time and money sending out the cards to obtain a QSL...if half of them have LOTW and you need them for an award you'll spend more time on the radio and less doing office work...

    6. Off topic, but I feel the same way about EQSL...I don't really care about it at all but I upload every contact anyway. It allows others who like the EQSL awards to get them.

    7. LOTW is fast and simple. I can upload 1000's of contacts in seconds and I am done. Don't need to do anything else such as confirm them. Lots of logging programs will sync up with LOTW with a simple push of a button.

    I do see your frustration. My wife had to help me set it up. They would have more users if it was simpler. We all have to remember simple for one person is not simple for another. Some are clueless with computer things, some are a natural. Even if you follow the instructions perfectly it can still be confusing if you are not familiar with the terms. I can go open a checking account at a bank down the streeet and setup online banking with them and it would be a much simpler task. At this point, I know it inside/out and can move the certificates from computer to computer. I could not do that at first.

    Jon
    WD0MYM
    73
    Thanks, I didn't know you could download ADIF files to EQSL
    "If it aint broke don't fix it. "If you can't fix it get a bigger hammer."

    73,Tom

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Toronto Ohio EN90QL
    Posts
    207

    Default

    If you already have most ARRL awards or no longer seek new ones, there isn't a reason to use LOTW... at least not if you're totally selfish. But, if it makes you feel good to know that others who may want/need your QSL can easily have your country / state / grid / zone confirmed on one or more bands simply by you uploading your QSOs with them to LOTW [and thus providing them with a needed QSO confirmation] then it's a big win.

    You have to look at both sides. Now that you've already gone through the hard part, I'd encourage you to keep uploading your QSOs... if not for your benefit, then for the benefit of others.

    Notice in the interface you can go to Your QSOs. From there, if you click on Most Recent QSOs, you're seeing the most recent QSOs that you uploaded from your logs. If you click on Most Recent QSLs, you're seeing the most recent QSO confirmations you received -- meaning, the most recent uploads from others that confirm a QSO that you previously uploaded.

    Keep in mind that you'll never see a QSO uploaded by somebody else unless that QSO matches [confirms] a QSO that you previously uploaded. This is different [and better] than other E-QSL services in that it's blind. You don't get to see a QSO that somebody else uploads unless it is a match to one that you uploaded -- which makes it more difficult for anyone to confirm a QSO that actually never happened. On eQSL.cc, for example, I could upload a bunch fof QSOs that never happened and they will appear in the other users' inbox for them to see -- and it will provide them with a way to confirm that QSL even if they never made the QSO...

    Despite how it may seem right now, you made the right choice. Just settle in. Keep uploading your logs. Eventually it'll become second nature and it won't feel like a pain in the butt. Those who work you and who use LOTW will appreciate it, and you might get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that you may have made somebody's day.

    Mike


    Quote Originally Posted by K2WH View Post
    Well, then I have had a total misunderstanding of what it is and what it does. I already have most awards from ARRL and no longer seek new ones. I thought it matched QSO's but all I see is a list of my log, nothing more except for some entries, it displays the name of a country under the QSL column.

    Whatever that is supposed to signify, I do not know.

    K2WH
    ------------------
    www.aa8ia.org

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    342

    Default

    K9ASE (Tom)

    I didn't quite get what you meant by "Thanks, I didn't know you could download ADIF files to EQSL".

    I think maybe you meant upload instead of download? Yes you can upload your whole log into EQSL. You don't have to enter them individually. You may be able to download your log from them also if you lose yours. Haven't looked into that.

    Jon
    WD0MYM
    73

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    342

    Default

    For the most matches, make sure all this is uploaded correctly:

    1. Callsign
    2. Band
    3. Mode (the frequency does not matter)
    3. Date
    4. Time (within 30 minutes so make sure your computer isn't an hour off because of daylight savings, etc.)

    Jon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •