ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc

Default Battleship Texas springs leaks, I worked her last week

The Battleship Texas was one of the museum ships on air that I worked last week, now I read she sprung a bad leak.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/10...ak-3631843.php

KG0UFO

I spent a couple of days at the Ghost Fleet in Suisun Bay, CA. They keep 'em in water so shallow that when the bilge pumps finally die, they don't have far to sink - like a foot or two - sometimes they don't notice for weeks since they are piled up side to side many ships deep. Some of those old ships have wood hulls under thin metal plating. Reserve fleet? More like practice targets the vast majority of them, sad to say.

I think they finally extracted the USCG Glacier ice breaker, and they got the Iowa down to LA as a museum ship. There are still some cool old ships there, including some interesting amphib stuff with well decks and the like for launching Mike boats and landing craft.
    This Space Intentionally Left Blank

The old gal's keel was laid over a century ago. She's entitled to spring a leak every now and then.
    "Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by KG6WOU View Post
    I spent a couple of days at the Ghost Fleet in Suisun Bay, CA. They keep 'em in water so shallow that when the bilge pumps finally die, they don't have far to sink - like a foot or two - sometimes they don't notice for weeks since they are piled up side to side many ships deep. Some of those old ships have wood hulls under thin metal plating. Reserve fleet? More like practice targets the vast majority of them, sad to say.

I think they finally extracted the USCG Glacier ice breaker, and they got the Iowa down to LA as a museum ship. There are still some cool old ships there, including some interesting amphib stuff with well decks and the like for launching Mike boats and landing craft.
    Some of the ships with wooden hulls don't have any metallic plating, just GRP (glass-reinforced plastic, or fiberglass). Like the old MSO/MSC minesweepers - the most expensive ships the Navy had to maintain, based on displacement.

And the former USS Glacier (AGB-4), before the Navy turned all the icebreakers over to the Coast Guard. I remember a few articles in QST back in the '60s, written by hams stationed on Glacier who described the duty AND the rare liberty ports they visited on the way back to the states after several months in the ice. I almost wanted to be stationed on an AGB, but their smooth, round bottoms would have triggered terminal motion sickness in me! I'm just glad I was on a carrier!
    Semper ubi sub ubi. 73
    K7KBN CWO4 USNR Ret.

Salvage operations are so sophisticated now I'm sure they will put the Texas right.

When you think about museum ship exhibits you would have a hard time outdoing the Intrepid for the diversity of material on display.
    And as if they didnít have enough the addition of the shuttle Enterprise last week has them seriously spanning everything from WWII to the space-age.

On this page The Atlantic published a series of photos that I find truly stunning.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-homes/100314/

Can you imagine looking out the window of one of the Manhattan high-rises and seeing that coming up the Hudson below!

Peace
    James Ė AD1L
    Please accept my gift of bacon -- Por favor acepte mi regalo de tocino

Quote Originally Posted by AD1L View Post
    Can you imagine looking out the window of one of the Manhattan high-rises and seeing that coming up the Hudson below!

Peace
    James – AD1L
    Yeah. I got to see it, it was pretty freaking cool.
    de Jim

She's a neat old ship. Several of us toured her twice in the early '80s and the most interesting stuff to us was below decks, especially the steam engines. Lots and lots of machinery and yeah, we got a little dirty. As we were leaving, one of the park officials commented (imagine deep Texas drawl), "Looks like y'all really enjoyed yourselves"!
    "A Republic, if you can keep it" -- Ben Franklin

It is not the ability to fix the leak it is raising the funds to do so. The federal government doesn't supply funds to keep these museums going. Take it from some one that is involved with upkeep, of the USS Drum SS-228. See the restoration portion on this website: http://www.drum228.org/ .

Also NAVSEA inspects these ships once a year and if they get too bad they will take them back and scrap them.

The USS Olympia needs 10 million dollars minimum in hull work and it is not looking good for the old gal: http://www.newsworks.org/index.php?o...98:30pcolympia .

Here in Wilmington, NC where the USS North Carolina BB55 is located we had a similar situation, age and corrosion had done a job on her hull plating and a few large sections had to be replaced, being she sits in the mud ( now admitted by the acoe that it is a very stupid idea) a coffer dam was able to be built so the plating could be replaced, it was really cool seeing that work done.
    It was sitting in the mud (as the Texas was originally) that nearly caused the loss of the Mighty Texas, a great effort saved her, I am sure it will be handled soon and she will be right again...

The Olympia should also be treated as a national treasure and efforts should be made asap to save that great ship!
    "Marconi Was The First LID!"

"Far better it is to tempt mighty things, than to take rank with those timid creatures that know neither victory or defeat!"

"Eleftheria h thanatos" (Greek for Freedom or Death)

"Molon Labe" (Greek, King Leonidas to the persians regarding their weapons "Come and Take Them!").

When the people fear the government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people there is liberty!

When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away.

My little brother and I have hundreds of happy hours on the USS Texas moored there at the San Jacinto Battle Monument, back into the '40's and '50's. Our granddad used to take us out there and we would keep the Ship Channel free of communists and other raiders. The guns were still there and could be turned and aimed by hand, not the big ones but the smaller ones on the deck. Great fun! Both of us grew up to be Navy officers at least for a time.

For some reason I was under the impression that the ship does not float but is permanently fixed in concrete etc. Perhaps that isn't so. Perhaps it is and the leak will not "sink" the ship, merely get the innards wet.
    73 de W6OGC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast