ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default The Miltronix website is gone

I am thinking about having Rick Mish at Miltronix do a restoration of my r90a, but his website seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know if he's still working on these radios? If not, is there anyone else still doing r390a restorations?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes there is and he is listed on a site dedicated to restorations of the R-390A. Check here; http://www.r-390a.us/.
    Another site; http://www.k2lrc.com/About%20Us.html.
    You might try this one.

Chuck Rippel, WA4HHG
    2341 Herring Ditch Road
    Chesapeake, VA 23323
    (757) 485-9660
    E-Mail: wa4hhg@amsat.org
    Repair and restoration of Collins R390, 75A-3, 75A-4, KWS-1 and 32-V series. Please call first to arrange to send your radio or cabinet.

Hope this helps
    Gary
    Last edited by KO6WB; 05-25-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Rick Mish - Miltronix - in Akron, Ohio
    He restored 2 each R-390A's for me earlier this year.
    I drove to his home and left them there for 2 months and later picked them up.
    I'm listening to 20M SSB on one now. Works great. He's an outstanding individual with immense practical experience.
    We spent many hrs together and he took me through the units and their refurbishment step-by-step.
    I understand that he acquired some R392s recently and has restored them.

His e-mail is radiomon@buckeye-access.com
    I sent him photos of the R390A units and discussed the restoration by phone before I drove there from my home in the Chicago area.

Hope this helps.

73's
    Mike n9nnl

Better bring plenty of money, neither come cheap but do a museum quality job.

Several others do excellent receiver work but dont get into cosmetics very deep which really raises the cost.

Carl

I just had Rick do a restore on my R392 and I was his LAST project. He has gone out of business, shutdown his website and turned off the phone that was used to contact him. The downturn of business is forcing him to scrap out inventory that people will not buy because of stability of the design of the receiver. I've forgotten which model, but he's no longer able to afford to perform his life's work. We had a couple of long conversations and it darn near is breaking his heart that he will no longer be able to continue. I don't know if he would do your r390a, but you might send him a letter. I would and I would send him the money up front as well as anything extra you could. I really hate to see a resource like him having to shutdown. He does outstanding work.

Default Miltronix R-390a reman service

Quote Originally Posted by SEWERMONGER View Post
    I just had Rick do a restore on my R392 and I was his LAST project. He has gone out of business, shutdown his website and turned off the phone that was used to contact him. The downturn of business is forcing him to scrap out inventory that people will not buy because of stability of the design of the receiver. I've forgotten which model, but he's no longer able to afford to perform his life's work. We had a couple of long conversations and it darn near is breaking his heart that he will no longer be able to continue. I don't know if he would do your r390a, but you might send him a letter. I would and I would send him the money up front as well as anything extra you could. I really hate to see a resource like him having to shutdown. He does outstanding work.
    Just wanted to reply that I was the second to last project for Rick (R-390a). Yes, I also had several conversations with Rick and could hear the discouragement in his voice. From what he told me, he was looking for something to occupy his time/provide an income outside of the Miltronix work, but he did not rule out ever touching one of these old radios. The last conversation I had with him was about a week and a half ago.

I know when he was doing mine, he was like a kid in a candy store - you could sense the excitement he felt in restoring it. When he was finished, it was the candy store going out of business.

Howard Mills is a SUPER guy to deal with. Did a 75a-4 a few years back. Will be back to purchase from him again soon. Can't go wrong with Howard.

Rick is still doing radios. He is currently doing my R-391. He does excellent work. I have three sets that he has already done (R-389, R-390, R-390A), and am beyond happy with each of them. His work is first-class all the way.

Lightbulb Chuck Rippel and R390A's

Quote Originally Posted by KO6WB View Post
    Yes there is and he is listed on a site dedicated to restorations of the R-390A. Check here; http://www.r-390a.us/.
    Another site; http://www.k2lrc.com/About%20Us.html.
    You might try this one.

Chuck Rippel, WA4HHG
    2341 Herring Ditch Road
    Chesapeake, VA 23323
    (757) 485-9660
    E-Mail: wa4hhg@amsat.org
    Repair and restoration of Collins R390, 75A-3, 75A-4, KWS-1 and 32-V series. Please call first to arrange to send your radio or cabinet.

Hope this helps
    Gary
    Actually, how about this, accurate as of 10/16/12.

Chuck.Rippel@cox.net

The AMSAT address has been dead as has the phone number. However, restoring R390A's is NOT dead ! Have done about 5 in CY 2012. There is a small waiting list, I'm keeping it that way. I still do the same level of detail and have a few new work arounds. What has changed is getting parts. Replacement PTO's are almost non-existent. That means if you have a COSMOS PTO and the end points are long, I may be able to correct that, maybe not. Noisy/popping IF decks are a problem. Its usually an arcing IF can OR a filter. Changing out IF cans is quite a job but I have LOTS (Hundreds) of NOS Spares from my trip out to EAC about 10 years ago. Replacement power transformers are getting harder and harder to find ! The 26Z5W's run very hot and are known to short. Many times, that takes the HV secondary of the transformer out and should that happen, good luck finding a transformer. This is but one more good reason to solid-state your power supply.

Keep those radios running !

Chuck, WA4HHG

This photo just makes my stomach queasy...R390 bites dust.jpg
    It would really help new amateurs who want to build antennas to find an older copy of the ARRL Antenna book. There are too few explanations and too little data in the current editions. By old I mean say pre-1989. Cruise hamfest tables and Ebay, there are plenty available pretty cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast