ad: Radclub22-1

Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1815 – May 25 2012

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA6ITF, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1815 – May 25 2012

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1815 with a release date of May 25th, 2012 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a Q-S-T. The 2012 Dayton Hamvention is in the history books, well take you there. Logbook Of The World logs an important milestone and you're never too old to learn a thing or two. These stories and more on Amateur Radio Newsline™ report number 1815 coming your way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here)

HAM HAPPENINGS: DAYTON 2012

The city of Dayton, Ohio was invaded over the weekend of May 18, 19 and 20 by radio amateurs from all over the world for the Dayton Hamvention. By all accounts it was a huge success. The weather was, for the first time in many years, absolutely perfect. Sunny days in the upper 80s and clear nights in the 50s made for great strolls through the massive flea market. No matter what obscure or rare item you're looking for, odds are that someone in the flea market has it for sale. The old saying of "if you can't find it at Dayton it doesn't exist" is really true. Don Dubon, N6JRL is president of the Dayton Amateur Radio Association, the sponsoring club for the Hamvention. He says this was an excellent year.

--

Audio report only. Please download the audio version of this weeks newscast at www.arnewsline.org.

--

Of course, it takes more than just DARA to put on a show of this size. It is truly a group effort.

--

Audio report only. Please download the audio version of this weeks newscast at www.arnewsline.org.

--

Always at the sharp end of the pileup is Bob Heil, K9EID.

--

--

This year, Bob added television host to his resume. Ham Nation is an Internet television show all about amateur radio and the crowds were even thicker around Audio Alley.

--

--

Amateur Radio Newsline is honored to be a part of Ham Nation. Bringing the magic of our great hobby and service to a new and very receptive audience.

Amid the new product announcements was very exciting news that Icom is now the official amateur radio supplier of the Boy Scouts of America Jamboree On The air. Icom has assembled a number of self contained "go kits" containing everything needed to get on the air from JOTA and other scouting events consisting of an Icom IC 7200 and everything else needed to get on the air.

Kenwood debuted their latest and greatest, the TS-990. Phil Parton, N4DRO goes over some of the features.

--

--

Expect the new TS-990 to begin shipping in the last quarter of this year. The retail list price hasn't been released yet, but Phil says between $5000 and $10,000 is a good ballpark. From the looks of it, it's worth every penny.

Another new rig debuted at Hamvention was the long awaited Heiberling PT-8000. As we hear from DH7JH, it is indeed finally a reality.

--

--

So how much is the Heiberling PT-8000 you ask?

--

--

Yes. He said $17,000. Not Euros, US Dollars. Time to start saving that spare change.

Over the years Amateur Radio Newsline has relied on one seasoned, some say grizzled, Dayton veteran to distill the Dayton experience down to it's true essence. That fabled old ham is none other than Chip Margelli, K7JA from CQ Publications.

--

--

That , of course, just scratches the surface of Hamvention 2012. We'll have more from Dayton in next week's Amateur Radio Newsline report.

BREAK 1

From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world including the WD6HFR repeater serving the region around Palomar, California.

(5 sec pause here)

RADIO BUSINESS: LIGHTSQUARED – THE NEVER ENDING STORY TAKES A NEW TURN

Is it an end to the story that never seems to end? Possibly as word that LightSquared Inc. has filed for Federal bankruptcy protection. This as it says that it will continue to try and resolve the concerns of U.S. regulators who frustrated the company's plan to deliver high-speed wireless to as many as 260 million people.

LightSquared, based in Reston, Virginia, listed assets of $4.48 billion and debt of $2.29 billion as of February 29th in a Chapter 11 filing May 14th in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan, New York. The filing followed intense negotiations with creditors, who had requested that the company's backer, Philip Falcone, step aside. Falcone and the current management team will remain with the company according to company spokesperson , Terry Neal.

But this might not be the last time we hear from LightSquared. In a statement, Falcone noted that the bankruptcy filing was not option the company embraced quickly or easily. Rather that it was necessary to protect LightSquared against creditors who were looking for a quick profit.

Falcone added that LightSquared remains committed to our original mission, and that he is steadfast in his belief that a path forward exists that will satisfy and benefit all constituencies.

LightSquared's plans for a high speed high speed broadband network hit a roadblock in February. That's when the FCC said it would withdraw preliminary approval for the company's network after government tests found that the signals would interfere with global-positioning systems. That decision followed a yearlong fight between LightSquared versus GPS users and providers.

The bottom line: If Lightsquared is successful in reorganizing under the Federal Bankruptcy Law, the never ending story could be with us for some time to come. (Published news reports)

RADIO EDUCATION: DXING FROM THE BLACK HOLE SEMINARS IN ILLINOIS IN SEPT

"DX'ing from the Black Hole is the title of a multi-session course to be presented this fall in conjunction with the 60th W9DXCC DX Convention to be held in Schaumburg, Illinois,

The W9DXCC convention committee has announced it will offer a 4 session class on Friday, September 14th to introduce ham operators to the excitement and fun of DXing.

The class has been designed for new and inexperienced DX'ers. Each session will cover a different aspect of DX'ing including operating practices, station design, chasing awards, QSL'ing and propagation from the area known as the Black Hole.

All presenters are accomplished DXers from the Northern Illinois
    DX Association. Between them they represent over 100 years of experience that includes participation in DXpedition operations to rare locations around the world and numerous awards. Please contact W9MU by e-mail to jhudson (at) wishcom (dot) net for further details and
    information." (W9DXCC)

HAM HAPPENINGS: D-STAR AT THE 2012 LONDON OLYMPICS

The London GB7OK D-STAR repeater server has been updated with Jonathan Naylor, G4KLX's software and can now access all D-STAR reflectors. Also, four new D-Star nodes in London area have come on air just in time for 2012 Olympics. The four nodes are MB6IHF in West London, MB6INL in North London, MB6IOK in South East London and MB6SS located in South West London. All four nodes will give D-STAR access to all Dplus, XRF and DCS reflectors. (G1HIG)

RADIO MARKETPLACE: CW LAUNCHES INDUSTRY INSIDER NEWSLETTER

CQ Communications has announced the launch of the CQ Industry Insider, an e-mail newsletter for the hobby radio industry. The newsletter will report on news and trends in the amateur radio, scanning and listening marketplace, as well as company news and announcements, marketing tips and an idea exchange for spotlighting concepts for new products and services.

According to Publisher Dick Ross, K2MGA, the goal in publishing the Industry Insider is to help businesses in the amateur radio industry thrive and grow by sharing industry news and trends, marketing tips and product ideas.

The Editor of the CQ Industry Insider is Jason Feldman, who currently works with both Popular Communications and WorldRadio Online, and is Director of Pop'Comm's monitoring registration program. He came to CQ with considerable experience in producing e-mail trade newsletters.

Feldman will be backed up by Ad Manager Chip Margelli, K7JA; Editorial Director Rich Moseson, W2VU; Production Director Dottie Kehrwieder, and the rest of the CQ Communications staff.

The CQ Industry Insider is being distributed initially to companies and individuals already on the CQ advertising department e-mail list. Industry members not on the list who would like to be added should contact Chip Margelli by e-mail to ads@cq-amateur-radio.com. (CQ)

NAMES IN THE NEWS: LOGBOOK OF THE WORLD MARKS 50,000 USERS

A Serbian ham is the holder of what can best be described as an electronic honor. On May 1st Dragan Pavlovic, YT3PDT, completed his registration process for Logbook of The World. As such he becamethe 50,000th person to take advantage of the ARRL's online QSL confirmation system.

According to ARRL Membership and Volunteer Programs Manager Dave Patton, NN1N there are more than 3500 individuals from outside the US in the process of obtaining a digital certificate. There are also numerous hams here in the US who have started the certificate process, but not yet finished. (ARRL, WIA)

WORLDBEAT: WRTH A-12 SHORTWAVE BROADCAST SCHEDULES AVAILABLE

The World Radio and Television Editorial team has announced that the Summer 'A' season broadcasting schedules file is now available to download, free of charge, from the WRTH website. The 86 page file is approximately 4500 kB in size and contains the kind of information that SWL's need to keep on top of the summer DX season. To get a copy take your web browser to www.wrth.com and follow the link "Latest PDF Updates." (WRTH)

WORLDBEAT: EGYPT NATIONAL SOCIETY TO CONCENTRATE ON YOUTH EDUCATION

IARU Region 1 Youth Coordinator Lisa Leenders, PA2LS, reports that youth oriented amateur radio activities in Egypt are on the increase.

In a recent report, Leenders noted that the Egyptian Radio Amateurs Society or ERASD, has announced plans to promote and improve amateur radio services and youth activities in Egypt. This through the participation in more international and regional activities.

An ERASD prepared plan for three years is divided into four key points. These are Radio Activities, Education, Society's Station, Media. During the radio Activity the Egyptian Radio Amateurs Society will be providing educational programs and materials to promote amateur radio and develop the scientific and technical skills of youth in the hobby. (IARU Region 1, Southgate)

WORLDBEAT: NORTHERN IRELAND BALLYMENA AMATEUR RADIO CLUB TURNS 65

Northern Irelands Ballymena Times reports that the Ballymena Amateur Radio Club has recognized by Ballymena Borough Council for their 65 years of service to the community.

Recently, members of the club were invited to the Ballymena Mayor's office to be presented with a plaque for their achievement. Chairman Aubrey Kincaid gave a short speech to Mayor Hubert Nicholl explaining the club's history. According to Aubrey, the club was officially started back in 1947 by local radio enthusiasts and ex-servicemen. However it's thought a club was in operation and on the air as far back as 1929. (IRTS)

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: STUDENT PROJECT MAY FLY IN SPACE

GoErie.com reports on the work of students from Penn State Behrend who developed a super capacitor based energy storage device designed to replace the silver–zinc battery on ARISSat type satellites.

According to the report, when David Jesberger, Kathleen Nicholas and Jacob Sherk graduated on May 4th from Penn State Behrend, they left behind a finished senior project that could soon be headed into space. This is because senior engineering students at Behrend pitch ideas each year for projects they would like to tackle in their final year.

Nicholas, Jesberger and Sherk all bid for a chance to be part of a project for the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. The result of their work was a collection of fifteen super-capacitors linked together by a circuit board that also contained their names and the famed college mascot Nittany Lion paw print. You can read more about this student team effort on-line at tinyurl.com/supercap-battery. (Erie Times News, Southgate)

RADIO EDUCATION: IEEE BROADCAST TECHNIOLOGY SOCIETY EXTENDS ABSTRACT DEADLINE

The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers' Broadcast Technology Society has announced an extension of the deadline for receiving abstracts of prospective papers to be presented at the organization's annual fall 2012 IEEE Broadcast Symposium. A final date of May 31st has been set for delivery of abstracts by prospective presenters.

Submissions are welcomed from broadcasters, researchers, developers, technology suppliers and service providers within the field of broadcasting. Submissions must indicate that abstract is for the 2012 IEEE Broadcast Symposium, and contain complete contact information, including the author's full name, affiliation, mailing address and telephone number. Abstracts should be limited to 1,000 words and should be sent via email to bts@ieee.org.

Proposals for panel discussions involving technology, applications, business models and policy-related issues and opportunities within the broadcasting industry are also being solicited. In addition, proposals for half-day tutorial sessions on broadcast technology topics are welcomed.

This year's symposium event will be held in Alexandria, Virginia from October 17th to the 19th. (RW)

HAM HAPPENINGS: NEW JERSEY CLUB TO ACTIVATE SUBMARINE RADIO STATION

The Nutley Amateur Radio Society, of Nutley New Jersey, will be activating the radio room of the World War II Submarine the USS Ling. This as a part of the world-wide Museum Ships Weekend on June 2nd and 3rd.

The Ling is a Balao class fleet submarine, measuring 312 feet and is a permanent museum ship, berthed on the Hackensack River at Hackensack, New Jersey. As we go to air it is expected that amateur radio stations on over 75 museum ships will be on the air for this event. (K2DC)

BREAK 2

This is ham radio news for today's radio amateur. From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to the world from our only official website at www.arnewsline.org and being relayed by the volunteer services of the following radio amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD: NYC MARATHON COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR AND FORMER NEWSLINE CONTRIBUTOR STEVE MENDELSOHN, W2ML - SK

For each of the 36 years that the New York City Marathon has been run, Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML, could be found in the lead vehicle with the race director traveling along with the lead male runner and relaying messages via ham radio. But this coming November, Steve will not be there. This is because our longtime friend lost his valiant battle against Pancreatic Cancer the morning of May 23rd. Steve was only 67 when he died at his home in Dumont, New Jersey. And as our producer Bill Pasternak tells us, this for him is not an easy goodbye:

--

Its not easy to say goodbye to a friend, and in the case of someone whom you have known for a good part of your life. So while others will give you statistics and facts about what Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML, did in his rather amazing life, I want to share a few personal thoughts.

I fist met Steve when he was working for one of the supply houses near what we New Yorkers called Radio Roe. Steve was a salesman and I had just saved enough to purchase the transmitter of my dreams. A Hallicrafters HT-40.

The truth be known, Steve tried to talk me out of the purchase saying there were better units for about the same price. But none of those covered 6 meters in addition to HF and so I kind of forced him to make the sale, I guess. And as a result of that quick conversation we became friends for life. Only neither of us knew it at the time.

Fast forward the timeline to the late 1960's. In those days the ham radio meeting ground in New York City was the WA2SUR repeater on 2 meters operated by the late George LeDoux, K1TKJ. And it was there one afternoon that I heard some folks in QSO. One of the people had a familiar voice. His call was WA2DHF and his name was Steve. So I joined the QSO and quickly learned that this was the same Steve who had sold me the HT-40 kit almost a decade earlier. And I guess this is where it really all began.

There are a couple of personal stories involving Steve that I want to relate because they tell far more about Steve than anything purely ham radio, albeit both do have a ham radio connection.

The first revolves around the WA2ZWP repeater that a group of us Brooklynites put up in the late 1960's. We knew from the outset that we would be using a voice I-D but none of us knew how to properly interface an automotive 8 track player to an RCA Carfone transmitter. But Steve Mendelsohn did and he spent several evenings with this reporter and a couple of other people explaining how to make the transistors in the tape player talk to the tubes in the repeater transmitter with no distortion and not so loud as to cover up those who were involved in a QSO. Steve knew audio technology and gladly shared it with myself and others.

But the most important Steve Mendelsohn story is the one that completely changed my life. It was in the winter or early spring of 1970. I was dating a gal named Sharon Wagner and every Sunday morning found me winding my way from Brooklyn out to Valley Stream to pick up the lady to go – well – go somewhere or do something. Be it just lunch and a movie or whatever, I would pick her up and we would be off to that proverbial somewhere. And it also became a ritual for everyone on WA2SUR to say hello to Sharon and for her to say hi in return. This with me in control of the transceiver. A Regency HR-2 as I recall.

Well this one Sunday after we had all said our hello's via WA2SUR, Steve says something like: "…you two have been going out for months. When are you going to ask the girl to marry you?"

At first I hemmed and hawed a bit looking for an excuse, but there was none to be had. Steve had put me into a corner where it was either catch the fish or cut bait and run. I knew that I was in love with the lady, so with much of New York hamdom listening in on 146.73 MHz, I asked Sharon to change her last name from Wagner to Pasternak. She immediately accepted and that September Sharon and I said "I Do."

Being honest: If not for Steve, I do not know if I would have asked Sharon or any gal to become my wife. But thanks to him, I was forced to make a decision that was definitely the right one. 40 years so far and headed toward 41.

Over the decades Steve remained a true friend. Even after I moved West, we were never very long out of contact. When e-mail came along, it was even easier.

I still remember sitting on the phone one evening and having him tell me about the fate-full meeting that got him involved in coordinating ham radio communications for the New York City Marathon. A position he loved and kept up for almost 37 years.

And especially that one evening at the Dayton Hamvention way back in the 1980's where Steve engineered and edited one of our Westlink Report newscasts that was anchored by the late broadcast legend Jean Shepherd, K2ORS, who had been the banquet speaker that night. A newscast recorded on a modified Sony portable reel to reel recorder that Steve had found out in his garage and made to work once again just for this occasion.

Theres so much more that I could relate if only we had the time because to me, Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML, was more than just another voice on the air. For the better part of five decades he was an important part of my life. He was my friend, and I will miss him.

Im Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, and I dedicate this weeks Newsline newscast to my friend, the late Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML.

73 old buddy. I know we will meet once again in the future on the other side of the great ethereal abyss.

--

According to Bill, its impossible to tell the story of Steve Mendelsohn's amazing life and career in a short news item like this. However several print publications have. This includes a lengthy and well written tribute by the ARRL that can be found at tinyurl.com/w2ml-sk and a New York Times item on Steve's career as a communications coordinator at tinyurl.com/marathon-race-radio.

Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML is survived by his wife Heidi, W2MLW. As we go to air, memorial survives for Steve have not yet been announced. (ARNewsline™)

DX

In DX, word that F5IRO has received his Ugandan callsign 5X5RO. He will be operating CW and PSK during his spare time until June 8th. QSL via F8DFP.

OK7MT, OK5MM, and OK2PP have announced to be oprerational stroke P4 through May 31. They will sign P40H in the upcoming WPX CW Contest on May 26th and 27th. QSL via OK7MT.

Lastly, RK4FF should be on the air from Senegal as 6V7S through May 28th. Listen out for him on CW, SSB and RTTY on 80 through 10 meters. QSL via RK4FF.

(Above from various DX News Sources)

THAT FINAL ITEM: 90 YEAR OLD UK HAM GETS MASTERS DEGREE

And finally this week, a story on higher education that involved a ham radio operator.

Bert Gladwin G3FVO, a former MI 6 electronics engineer, has become the United Kingdom's oldest new graduate at the age of 90. This after graduating with a Masters degree from the University of Buckingham.

In his youth Gladwin left school at 14 and worked as a delivery boy. During World War II he served with the Royal Air Force and developed an interest in radio communications. After the war he worked for the Marconi company and obtained his amateur radio license.

Gladwin then worked for the Foreign Office setting up communications systems for British embassies around the world. He embarked on his degree in Intelligence History and Bletchley Park Studies at the age of 89 together with his wife, who was then 77.

G3FVO is not new to being a senior in taking advanced higher education courses. At the age of 60, he decided to undertake obtaining a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. By the time he was 70 he had also completed a Bachelor of Science in Molecular Biology.

Bert Gladwin's advice to anyone considering a degree is to go for it at any age. He says that it's never too late to learn.

More is on-line at tinyurl.com/grad-at-90 (University of Buckingham)

NEWSCAST CLOSE

With thanks to Alan Labs, AMSAT, the ARRL, the CGC Communicator, CQ Magazine, the FCC, the Ohio Penn DX Bulletin, Radio Netherlands, Rain, the RSGB, the Southgate News and Australia's WIA News, that's all from the Amateur Radio Newsline™. Our e-mail address is newsline(at) arnewsline (dot) org. More information is available at Amateur Radio Newsline's™ only official website located at www.arnewsline.org. You can also write to us or support us at Amateur Radio Newsline™, 28197 Robin Avenue, Santa Clarita California, 91350

A reminder that the nominating period for the 2012 Amateur Radio Newsline Young Ham of the Year Award is now open. Full details and a downloadable nominating form are on our website at arnewsline.org/yhoty.

For now, with Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, at the editors desk, I'm Don Wilbanks, AE5DW, in Southern Mississippi, saying 73 and we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline™ is Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

2. KF4MND

KF4MND Ham Member QRZ Page

This has got to be the most BORING Newsline ever! QRZ, you could have kept this one off the page, like ya did the one from last week.

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KF4MND
    I guess you have no understanding of or respect for the effort Bill and his staff put into Amateur Radio Newsline and have for a lot longer than you have been a ham as your QRZ page says you have been licensed since 1996. They can't invent material and can only report that which occurs. In my opinion just the personal reflections on W2ML (SK) a truely outstanding and dedicated amateur radio operator made this issue well worth reading. Frankly I think your comment was insulting, in bad tatse, and uncalled for. Maybe you also ought to consider that the principal writer of newsline was mourning the passing of a long time friend and associate. I know if I were that writer finding the motivation to write at all would be difficult.....but what the heck we can't allow human emotions to deprive you of an interesting issue can we? While I thank you for your service and contributions to our country as a member of the U S Army I hope your future contributions to amateur radio in the form of reader feedback will be a little less selfish.

4. N5VEI

N5VEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly not boring! If you are in any way into the hobby, there is something the broadcast for you. Good job guys! I like the story on the super-caps.

5. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Jerry,
    You hit it square on the head! 35 years later ARNL is still going strong and and doing us amateurs a great service. We listen to it weekly on Fridays through the WW7SEA repeater system here in Seattle. There are some stories in the QST that you couldn't give a hill of beans about, but there are many you may be interested in. To each his own.
    Dan - KF4MND - I work in the TV Broadcast business. We get calls all the time from disgruntled folks much like you that particularly don't care about a specific show and bitch mightily about how much they are disappointed by what they have seen or heard.
    In the TV/Radio biz we will, after being nice, tell the caller that you have a remote or a tuning dial - make use of it if you don't like what you are seeing or listening to. There are hundreds of options in this day and age.

6. AB7MC

AB7MC Ham Member QRZ Page

The guy is only telling what he feels. It's his own opinion. Let's respect it. If you do not want it, do not read it.

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You have the privelage of complaining about something when you're paying for it. When it's free, as in this case, not so much.

8. W8KBF

W8KBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people would complain if they had to drive 25 miles to pick up their winnings on a $50,000 lottery ticket, get a life.

9. NT6U

NT6U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey... Gasoline IS over $4.30 a gallon here.

10. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Prayers for his friend and his family

Well, it certainly wasn't boring by any means. The only part I didn't like was the going to other sites to "hear" an audio tape. The constant interruption in reading each article made my head "spin".

Now, about his friend. It was interesting to hear how the man he was honoring really did what hams are supposed to do....Elmer other folks so they can enjoy the thrills of ham radio. I got introduced to ham radio back in 1958 with the help of some local hams. I've been in love with electronics and radio communications since then. I'll be 66 in October.

GOD BLESS,

Don/KA5LQJ

11. KC7HDE

KC7HDE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Gasoline IS over $4.50 a gallon here in N.W. Washingont state.

12. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would venture to guess that he finds no one or nothing that he does not already know OR IT HAS NO MERIT!!

I make it a point every week to read the entire Newsline and always come away with something new learned. I do no count that time as my regular 4-5 hrs a day time that I spend reading and studying about this hobby of ours and have done so now for 6 years. The sad part the more I read and study I find the less I know about the vast amount of coverage of material to understand all the aspects even a small way. But I find it challanging and a very eduicational hobby into areas that I may have never known about without it.

Keeping up with all things relating to the hobby is important being techinal, rules or just plain information about people.

13. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank You All

First off, my personal thanks to all of you who support our effort to bring you the news. As most of you likely know, this is a true labor of love for all of us involved in Amateur Radio Newsline. None of us are paid. In fact there are occasions where I and others had to dip into our personal funds to keep the service in operation. And we do this for only one reason: We love Amateur Radio.

That said, we also welcome your criticism because it is only by listening to you that we can improve. And over the almost 35 years that we have been providing this service, we have all done our very best to listen to what you tell us and read the notes you send to us. We cannot always respond directly to each of you, but we do take your criticism and advice to heart. This is because we in the research and production end are aware that each of you as individuals are the ones that we do our best to serve.

As to the text of what we post, these are actually scripts. These are the words that the anchor reads. When time permits we do try to transcribe the sound bites of those we interview, but when you are dealing with a week that includes an event of the magnitude of the Dayton Hamvention and the travel time involved, its simply not always possible. And keeping in mind that we are primarilly an audio service to be listened to rather than read, we must concentrate our efforts on the aural rather than the text.

This past week was an excellent example of this. The only reason that there was a newscast 1815 is because Don Wilbanks, AE5DW, took the responsibility to write part of it, voice, produce and edit it while I made a side trip to NYC to take care of the needs of a former childhood neighbor who is close to my age and living in an extended care facility.

To which Ill add that learning that one of my closest friends for over half a century, Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML, had passed away just a few hours before my getting on the plane for a 7 hour trip from NYC to LA made for a very long and not very happy flight. Then, staying up most of Wed night into Thurs morning to try and write a proper tribute to Steve was something I simply had to do. If I hadn't, I would not have been able to live with myself.

Last and most important my personal thank you to all who listen to and/or read Amateur Radio Newsline. Without you, we have no reason to exist. Its your support on all levels that is the force that drives us to continue and to do our best to bring you an accurate news bulletin each week. We freely admit that we are not perfect, but we do our best.

de
    Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF
    Editor, etc.
    E-Mail: newsline (at) arnewsline (dot) org
    On the web at: www.arnewsline.org

14. AA2RR

AA2RR Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill and your group,

Thank you for what you do week after week after week.

Someone once said that 'wisdom' was having an opinion and knowing when to keep it to yourself.

That was a wise person...Newsline is always informative.

15. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill,

Thanks for your efforts. Those who're quick to complain probably don't realize you do it for naught. The material is not always interesting (to me) but it is to someone else. And, my condolences on the loss of your friend Steve.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.