ad: M2Ant-1

Yaesu's "overlooked" Dayton introduction - the FT-1D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8MSA, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W9DP

W9DP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you have it backwards, Yaesu introduced yet another HT. How many different models have they sold in the past 10 years? 20? 30? Forlorn is appropriate, a digital radio that has no infrastructure to support it and since it is a HT, simplex is pretty limited too.

3. WB9QVR

WB9QVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think it was overlooked. I saw quite a few folks looking at it at Yaesu's booth. However, I think most people who might have been interested in the FT-1D lost that lost interest as soon as they learned that it wasn't compatible with D-Star, P25 or Mototrbo and that Yaesu was attempting to create yet another digital standard. Since there are no repeaters or other radios compatible with whatever protocol the FT-1D 'speaks' that would mean that it would be restricted to talking only to other FT-1Ds (or would have to be operated only in FM mode). Even if Yaesu's digital format turns out to be technically superior to those already in use it's going to be a very tough sell given the traction that the other formats have in the marketplace. Their marketing team will certainly have their work cut out for them in attempting to gain any level of acceptance for this new digital standard.

4. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Because we need another different digital mode? I really don't understand why the big 3-4-5 won't agree on a single digital standard to support, since it's clear that they can either live or die on this together, since I dont think many people are going to buy 3 different digital radios to be compatible, plus all the extra repeater pairs needed? Seems totally pointless to me. Now, if it operated in the same mode as Icom D-Star, wow, it would finally crack the market open just a hair.

Sometimes the Japanese are such smart businessmen and then sometimes they can be so dumb....

5. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also fail to see why they all do not follow Icoms lead in the Digital market they have the infrastructure already in place around the world and it works FB. The others have failed to gather even a small market share and look at the WIRES failure from Yaesu and how many are tired of echo link.

D-Star is the logical move for Yaesu and Kenwood it would be a win win for everyone involved including us as far as prices are concerned competition is a good thing. Plus with them all competing there could be even further strides made in the D-Star standard that is backward compatible. The nice thing about D-Star is you can get on the air for under $200 with a DV Dongle and D-Star radios are getting cheaper with newer models coming out.

6. WC2F

WC2F XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that is the main problem that is not compatible with all of the other digital modes... They need to set a standard like when the Blue-ray HD-dvd battle which Blue - Ray won...

that way everyone can speak with everyone else only if you have the same type of radio can communicate...

Miguel ad4y

7. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

Another Beta vs. VHS?

Cortland
    KA5S

8. WC4R

WC4R Ham Member QRZ Page

"The modulation used is what Yaesu describes as C4FM otherwise known as 4 level FSK or 4-FSK and is the same as that used for Digital PMR-446 equipment. 4-FSK has advantages over other types of digital modulation such as GMSK.

Both ICOM and Kenwood have been producing 4-FSK equipment for the PMR market since 2007 so in some ways it's surprising that Yaesu beat them both in releasing an amateur version of 4-FSK."

Maybe it is the other way around? I/K/Y/A need to follow this lead? Doesn't matter to me as most of the country does not have any need for (or access to) digital yet.

9. K1LWI

K1LWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well think time for yaesu and icom and kenwood make real nice handeld tv
    cam so you can see the guy you talking too and see you think about time. Got all this stuff on my cell phone
    k1lwi wen 73 ar

10. W8MXR

W8MXR Ham Member QRZ Page

isn't the FT-1 a HF rig, released in about 1982.

11. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to see Icom produce a radio that has selectivity, most of the models I have seen,used and owned, have been very poor in the selectivity department.
    I made a comparison several years ago when I purchased an Icom mobile from HRO, I installed the radio, drove to South Mountain in Phoenix, and was welcomed by nothing but intermod.
    I could not even hear the on-channel repeater that was ON that peak, the IMD was that horrid for that radio!
    The radio was returned with a large 'junk' tag posted on the box. A purchase of a Yaesu FT2500 was made, and back to the mountain I headed.
    Not only was I able to HEAR most of the repeaters I wanted to listen to, I could also hear and use the very same machine I could NOT hear with the Icom.
    Aside from a minor squawk early on, the Yaesu vastly out-performed the Icom.
    Both radios were in the same price range, and capabilities, as well as RX coverage. But the front end was far superior with the Yaesu.
    Aside from my single test, I have never been too happy with the designs of Icom, save for the single band model(heck if I can remember it now).
    That radio did have a decent front end, and IMD products were noticably lower as well. That radio made me feel a little better about the Icom, or will they follow many others and change their name to iCOM so as to appeal to cellphone buyers(my poke)?
    Truth be told, I have not been a fan of Icom products, but I did love the IC-2AT, THA was one solid radio, but again, horribly lousy battery, NO CTCSS encode at the very least.

12. N0RRS

N0RRS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the reason behind Yaesu NOT wanting to build a D-Star compliant HT is because it sells so much equipment to the commercial radio field. In the commercial radio business each brand has its own protocol and can only talk to other radios manufactured by that company. They do it to secure gov't contracts and corner the markets on their specific mode of communication. Therefore, Yaesu is attempting to create a NEW digital protocol and make the average Joe Ham by all their equipment from Yaesu. If they introduce mobiles, base units, and repeater equipment this might actually be a good thing.

13. N0RRS

N0RRS Ham Member QRZ Page

It was an HF rig, but this is a "D" model with the "D" standing for DIGITAL. Also, this rig only works in Digital/FM modes.

14. N5YCK

N5YCK Ham Member QRZ Page

just think it moto turbo

15. W4FID

W4FID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With so many key issues/questions unknown and no definitive/authoritative source for info -- even verifiable plans for what will be released at a future date -- can we really say it was introduced? "Overlooked" Dayton intro and "lost in the buzz" may be an overstatement if all that was introduced was a display mock up shell and rumors. Introduce something real -- then decide if it got proper recognition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.