ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Quote Originally Posted by KF5RHI View Post
    Add me to the Wouxon bandwagon. I love my KG-UVD1P HT. I agree on the need for a better antenna than the rubber ducky that came with it.

I also have the Yeasu FT-8900R; but I'm working on making it backpack portable so I haven't played with it at all yet. I've heard really good things about it though.
    For those that have done it, what antenna did you out on your UV1DP? I liked my 3P so much I picked a 1P up for my mom but she is much further away from any repeaters than I am. Until I can build and mount something external for her, would like to put a better antenna on the HT.
    de Jim

jet stream makes a 21 inch long HT antennae with the reverse SMA connector 9 so no adapters are needed.

Also MFJ has a thin wire one as well. if she isnt going to walking around with it. get one of those "hershey kiss" antennaes and put it on her fridge or soemthing else wider than 19 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by KK4BBG View Post
    jet stream makes a 21 inch long HT antennae with the reverse SMA connector 9 so no adapters are needed.

Also MFJ has a thin wire one as well. if she isnt going to walking around with it. get one of those "hershey kiss" antennaes and put it on her fridge or soemthing else wider than 19 inches.
    I couldn't sleep last night so I threw together a 1/2 wave vertical using some wire and a SO-239. Just need to do some fine tuning and it will be all set.
    de Jim

Default Quansheng TG-UV2

Quote Originally Posted by N1NQC View Post
    Hey All,

In another thread we touched on Chinese ham walkie talkies. Although I am not in the market for one at this time, I was wondering what the experiences/reviews of others have been with these inexpensive rigs.

The brand names I have come up with (so far) are : Baofeng, Fei Daxin, Jingtong , Linton, Puxing, Quansheng, TYT, Weierwel (and most famously) Wouxon.

Anyone else know of any other brands ?

My PARTICULAR interest is in VHF only, but we can discuss dual banders too.

Price is an issue.Other than auction type prices, what is the LOWEST fixed market price ( inc shipping) rig you've see ( again especially for VHF only, but also for a dual bander).

K
    I bought my Quansheng TG-UV2 at a hamfest in south Georgia and have really enjoyed it. I traded my Icom V82 because I was interested in dual band. Except for some problems with manually programing the new Quansheng it has been nothing but a pure joy to own and operate. The original "rubber duck" works well with the TG-UV2 but I did purchase a longer flexible antenna with a higher db rating; working even at medium power I have no trouble accessing repeaters over 20 miles away. I am quite pleased with this "Chineese" radio.

One of my new Tech students has a Baofeng UV5R - it's certainly a nice looking radio! We listened on it, and I thought it sounded pretty good. I see that CHIRP supports it now, so maybe for next week's class, we can try programming it.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Default OY

Ahoy

have had a pair of Puxing HTs for over three years
    payed almost nothing for them
    got extra battery, car adaptor, hand mike
    work FB

and
    yes
    programing is a pain

yours truly
    mac

The Baofeng UV-5R, that is!

Wouxun KG-UVD1P was my first Amateur Radio Transciever. I procured this from a vendor in eBay. As part of the deal
    1. I got a Radio Zone external Mic,
    2. a programming cable as well as a software C,
    3. Drop-in charger and a Li-On battery
    4. Cables to power the Drop-In Charger from an AC socket and DC socket (car cigarette lighter plug)
    I mention the accessories as well, because I have seen some vendors who only sell the radio (without the software CD or programming cable).
    My experience with this VHF/UHF dual bander has been quite good. The Chinese announcements when you changed menu options was a bit of an overkill, but I could switch it off. The software provided by Wouxun had some problems in initial installation (especially on selecting the COM Port settings). But The KGUV Commander came to my rescue.
    The Tx and Rx of this radio is quite good. Even with the small rubber ducky antenna provided, I did manage to pick up some signals which my ICOM base station was not able to pick up. The set is not too big or too small (like Baofeng), and can be easily clipped on to the belt. I have also seen that there is a good battery backup.
    For the INR 7500/- (approx) I paid, this walkie talkie has been doing a fantastic job.

The Baofeng UV-3R+ has a serious display issue. Just like the old TUBE days, you have to wait for it to "WARM UP" before you can use it. When turned on, the display will be all fuzzy and freaked out. Completely unreadable. But after being on a minute or so, it settles down and is usable. I have heard I ain't the only one with this problem. Send it back? Baofeng HTs are DISPOSABLE HTs!

I also found that the KNOB on the UV-5R is easily pulled loose and lost, as that is what happened to mine after it fell off at Pacificon. WHO KNOWS where it is. Somewhere in the Exhibit hall. I will put some LOCKTITE on it when a new one comes in from 409SHOP, which probably will be in a month or so.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

I have both the Wouxun and the Baofeng UV-5 with the 3300MAH battery it will go for five days on that battery great radios you can spend more but you will not get a better radio.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast