ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Question How did your gear get stolen?

I frequent a lot of forums in a lot of venues that have Ham's on the boards. One thing I have noticed for some time is how we are all very careful not to post our locations or our real names etc. But then I see the same people post their call-signs publicly, which if searched here or other sites spills the beans so to speak. You get address, name etc.

So my question is; If you have had gear stolen, can you attribute it to the public display or availability of your call-sign.

Common sense comes to mind with our "hobby" giving the required amount of information to the required amount of people to receive QSL cards is the goal but some radio "humans" like to "show off and brag".posting YOUR full address and photographs of your equipment is fine as long as you have a good alarm system and cctv cameras at YOUR location,my mobile equipment are VHF and HF yaesu tranceivers inside my jeep,both tranceivers have slide mounts and both large antennas are quick release but this DOES NOT stop passers by perving into my vehicle because they see large mounts on the bull bar and rear of the jeep for my antennas which have been removed.antennas are the give away for our equipment mobile or home base,beams,rotators,huge towers,long or short wires with insulators on and vertical antennas, theives are NOT STUPID they know that expensive equipment is connected to the other end of a coax feeder and they know thats its Amateur equipment or C.B. equipment and its generally stolen to order by someone locally and sent away from your area for opperational use.sleeping on your radio equipment stored under your bed is not practical when not in use,so common sense,no bragging,engrave your information on your radio equipment if you intend to keep it, only publish what you require for QSL information,alarm systems and cctv recording at your QTH if possible,a lot of opperators would not think twice about spending 2.000 on a "NEW TRANCEIVER" but they dont have a alarm system !! you might as well leave all your doors open and welcome theives in. Regards Dave.

I had a dual band mobile stolen out of the car one time. I had it apart in plain view on the back seat as I was going to run and see if I could get a dial lamp for it. When I got back with a bulb to see if it would fit the radio was gone. I left the car door unlocked. I was in and out of the store in 5 mins. My guess is that someone watched me fiddle with radio while I took one last look before I walked in the store and saw it as a quick and easy grab.

As far as our callsigns and addresses go, well... our info is out there for the world to see.

YOUR CALL SIGN is "OUT THEIR" for people to see, but YOU give permission to the data base to allow YOUR QTH address and photographs to be printed and accesible for thieves to "FIND YOU", COMMON SENSE is needed, all you need to give is your CALL SIGN and STATE everything else YOU can "OPT" out of. AS I have said humans like to BRAG and SHOW OFF(eg. look at the size of my antenna,I spend a lot of money on equipment, so proud to be an Amateur Radio Opperator, Instead of remaining "LOW PROFILE") And as for leaving YOUR tranceiver in the back of your vehicle on DISPLAY (even for a short time) you deserve TO HAVE IT STOLEN, the mind boggles with YOUR CONFESSION on this forum.

I also noticed on YOUR page that YOU have given Your FULL ADDRESS and LOVELY photographs of YOUR EQUIPMENT, this way thieves NOW KNOW where YOU LIVE and they can "GOOGLE" the value of YOUR EQUIPMENT on the Internet, showing off and poor common sense equals Radio Equipment "STOLEN".

Quote Originally Posted by G4SRN View Post
    YOUR CALL SIGN is "OUT THEIR" for people to see, but YOU give permission to the data base to allow YOUR QTH address and photographs to be printed and accesible for thieves to "FIND YOU", COMMON SENSE is needed, all you need to give is your CALL SIGN and STATE everything else YOU can "OPT" out of. <snip>
    Except that for US hams, we CANNOT OPT OUT from the FCC database so far as listing our addresses goes... It is regarded as a matter of public record.

All it takes is a visit to fcc.gov ( http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp ) and entering the call sign to get the registered address. Some will put in a PO box instead of their home address, but not many...

Quote Originally Posted by G4SRN View Post
    I also noticed on YOUR page that YOU have given Your FULL ADDRESS and LOVELY photographs of YOUR EQUIPMENT, this way thieves NOW KNOW where YOU LIVE and they can "GOOGLE" the value of YOUR EQUIPMENT on the Internet, showing off and poor common sense equals Radio Equipment "STOLEN".
    Perhaps we're being just a tiny bit paranoid? Last I checked I haven't heard of theives that come specifically to QRZ.com to look for random people's qrz pages for their next score. Could it happen? Sure, anything is possible. In my 20 years of being a ham I've never heard of ham radio operator's houses specifically being targeted - stripped of every piece of gear by ham radio bandits. I hardly think my station is anything to brag about. I've maintained a qrz page for years with photos on it. I own a house, since parts of it appear on my qrz page should I worry about coming home and finding someone stole it right off the foundation? It's worth way more than my radio station. As far as stuff being in open sight in the car, I wasn't aware that my car was public property free for anyone to reach their hands in and grab what they want. Someone could have just as easily broken in and stole the entire car - worth more than the radio! Oh, that would have been my fault too by flaunting my "wealth" and owning a car and driving it around as I please. Cars get broken into all the time. I've known people who had the factory stereo taken out of their cars... are they supposed to rip their own dash apart and take the factory stereo out every time they drive it around and park? Stuff happens.

I went to a PO box it helps.

So "GIVE YOUR PO. BOX",their REALLY is "NO EXCUSE" even in your State or Country where YOU RESIDE, It still comes down to YOU Requesting to be LISTED giving and allowing TO MUCH INFORMATION to be SEEN, as I have said humans like to "BRAG" and "SHOW OFF", if YOU can give as "LITTLE INFORMATION" as possible please DO IT. And as for PHOTOGRAPHS its the "ULTIMATE BRAGGING". Thieves are NOT STUPID people and KNOW what they are STEALING, MOST have a BETTER UNDERSTANDING of EQUIPMENT than some LICENCED RADIO OPPERATORS in this World. So PLEASE its a "NEED TO KNOW" basis on information and "MOST PEOPLE DO NOT NEED TO KNOW", or YOUR equipment will go "BYE BYE".

Pot, meet kettle.

On your qrz page: "I have a very well equipped workshop to the rear of my property (common sense dictates their are NO PHOTOGRAPHS, I DONT WANT to advertise my "toys" to BURGLARS unlike some on this site) Best Regards, Dave(Merlin)."

Didn't you just advertise there? If you really wanted to keep a low profile to keep all those thieves from finding anything about you or your stuff, then why have anything at all on your qrz site? Especially mentioning that well equipped shop on your property?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast