ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec

It's a long way from anywhere to El Paso, but the furthest distance between two points on earth seems to be Austin to Lubbock, and the same distance back of course! I've traveled all over, to Europe many times, to the Middle East, to New Zealand, etc, and the longest trip was from Austin to Lubbock for UT-TT football games!
    DX IS! The Best of the West Coast DX Bulletin, available through Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by W6OGC View Post
    It's a long way from anywhere to El Paso, but the furthest distance between two points on earth seems to be Austin to Lubbock, and the same distance back of course! I've traveled all over, to Europe many times, to the Middle East, to New Zealand, etc, and the longest trip was from Austin to Lubbock for UT-TT football games!
    Naaaaaaaaa, Brownsville, to Dalhart is the longest trip. Second is Orange to El Paso.
    Both seem to take forever.
    james
    WD5GWY

Just try using the VFO band scan if you radio has that feature. If not, I would recommend simply loading in all of the possible repeater pairs on 2m and 70cm and using the memory scan. I have a Kenwood D710. Although it will only transmit on 2m and 70cm, I also load in the 1.25m, 33cm and 23cm pairs as well.

Be sure to book a room along the riverwalk in San Antonio. There are many hotels that fit the bill. Then restaurants, night spots, shopping, the Alamo, and much more are all a short picturesque walk away. Or you can take a boat. Many of those spots are open for breakfast too. Perhaps they'll have the "Taste of San Antonio" of some other such public festival running in La Villita Park a block off of the riverwalk while you're there. It's a great place to visit any time of year.
    73, Steve
    43 years in Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by WA4BRL View Post
    Be sure to book a room along the riverwalk in San Antonio. There are many hotels that fit the bill. Then restaurants, night spots, shopping, the Alamo, and much more are all a short picturesque walk away. Or you can take a boat. Many of those spots are open for breakfast too. Perhaps they'll have the "Taste of San Antonio" of some other such public festival running in La Villita Park a block off of the riverwalk while you're there. It's a great place to visit any time of year.
    I grew up in the hill country north of San Antonio, and have more time at the Alamo than David Crockett. We marched in the Fiesta Parades every year, played the SA school in football, competed with them in other activities, and took our dates to "the big city" for dinner on special occasions.

Of course, a lot has changed since I lived in that area, and some of the things that haven't changed are different than I remember.

My drive will be part of our move back to the hill country, a one way trip.

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by AD5ZC View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thanks. The Eyes of Texas were always upon me.

\m/

Anywhere, TX to El Paso is the longest trip ever.

When I was stationed at Ft. Sam in 1953, River Walk was off limits to servicemen as it was a bad place. Guess they have cleaned it up in the short time since!

Texarkana is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso. That is one big state. A good state to be from. The further from the better. (West Texas that is)

Quote Originally Posted by W6ECE View Post
    When I was stationed at Ft. Sam in 1953, River Walk was off limits to servicemen as it was a bad place. Guess they have cleaned it up in the short time since!
    It was a real bad place up until the Hemisfair in the mid-60's when things got cleaned up pretty well, and then in the early 70's when the anti saloon laws were repealed, it took off. Before that white men didn't go down there any time and nobody else did either unless they were looking for trouble.

One of the pervasive memories of growing up watching San Antonio TV stations was Henry Guerra reading the news on WOAI at 10 pm, most often leading off with "2 men were killed this evening in a bar in the xxxx block of South Presa," etc. The only thing that varied was the number and the location. Somebody ended up dead almost every night down there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2