ad: TinyPaddle-1

New Kenwood TS 990

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3GNO, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3GNO

VE3GNO Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the new bord baby from Kenwood, dual RX, dual watch, 2xUSB, one ethernet, 200W and dual display...looks very different than any other kenwood I've ever seen. Picture just showed up today in QST. More info most likely at Dayton next week.
    73 de VE3GNO Daniel

Attached Files:

2. KO5AOK

KO5AOK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll wait for them to come out with the TS-520LE, limited edition of a 200 watt hybrid. Nice, simple, just a few knobs and a meter.

73' Mike
    KG7UFO

3. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Totally different then any other Kenwood? Well, they haven't made a top of the line radio since the 950 era....

This puppy has enough knobs and buttons to keep anyone happy...I imagine the instruction book/manual must be pretty thick...

4. W5DHM

W5DHM Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they do a better job on it than they did on their TS-590. The hardware is pretty good, but they weren't able to develop their firmware to an acceptable level. They seem to have abandoned the TS-590, probably to work on the grand, new, big, high dollar 990. They just about had the 590 working right if they'd just been able to stay with it, or maybe find better software engineers. DSP programming must be pretty tough. So my TS-590 is sitting over in the corner on the floor. I gave up and bought American.

5. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't wait for sherwood to kick the tires.

Looks f'n sweet!

6. KA3IXF

KA3IXF Ham Member QRZ Page

Kind of looks like an Icom with Kenwwod on it!!!

7. ZS6AF

ZS6AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda looks like the radio to replace my aging TS-870 DSP with :cool:

ZS6AF

8. W8OX

W8OX Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't wait to see the specs.....I'm afraid to see the price....
    Hope to see the "real deal" at Dayton...

9. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

switch-mode PSU? hmmm

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Really nice looking radio.

11. 2E0ZST

2E0ZST Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts exactly!!

12. KC2HRG

KC2HRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice looking Rig...
    Can't wait for the reviews.. and the price$$$

13. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

Informed by the Kenwood rep at the Int'l DX Conv at Visalia this year the new TS990S price point would be in the $6K neighborhood....... I'm not even allow in that neighborhood :) He would not elaborate or show any pixs just some little details like the expected price point and the size was bigger than the TS950SDX, which now it appears to be so. I was thinking FT-2000 or possible FT-5000 if I can save enough lunch money but now I can't wait to see the Sherwood test report and hear about others kicking the tires as soon as it is available.

14. AA4HI

AA4HI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will stick with my ten-tec omni vii , go usa ! By american when you can .

15. W4AMP

W4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

I will stick with my FTDX5000MP. I am glad they are back making high end rigs. Hopefully this rig will feature something new and original, not just a clone of what Yaesu and Icom are already selling. Thanks to the original poster for the pic, it has been a long time coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.