ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

I've heard (including from the K'wood rep at Pacificon, last year) somewhere in the $5-6k range. Think Yaesu FTDX5000 or the Icom IC7700 .. If this is the case, as much as I'd like to have a knob-fest like the TS-990, the price will keep me waiting for an affordable rig with SDR display but also with trad controls. I like the Flex stuff except for the dependence on an outboard computer and so the lack of any of the usual knobs/buttons that I like. I guess there still too much "perceived value" (resulting in high prices) in units with SDR-anything on them.

I was expecting something different in looks. If the performance doesn't blow away the competion @ $5-6k they wasted their time. One has to wonder if any of these companies ask for outside inputs or is it all about money.

the latest status symbol rig that lights up like a christmas tree

Performance, performance, performance. Remember, when spending big bucks for a rig like this you are buying a receiver with all kinds of bells and whistles.

A transmitter is a transmitter with little change from the beginnings of radio (except spark). So, it is the receiver part of the rig that is important.

K2WH

Quote Originally Posted by K2WH View Post
    A transmitter is a transmitter with little change from the beginnings of radio (except spark). So, it is the receiver part of the rig that is important.

K2WH
    If you look at the analog meter there seems to be a 44 to 52 V scale, suggesting 50V finals, so that may not be quite the case. That could result in improved imd over typical 12V finals.

That is a nice radio, but I bet it will be expensive, so the elite will get it first, then one day the common amateur radio operator can afford to buy one... I believe it will be on the display at dayton hamfest... I wish I could go, but due to expenses and no transportation to get there this year,, I guess I will wait until someone post the video on youtube and get more input.

Way too go Kenwood

Miguel-ad4y

Quote Originally Posted by K2WH View Post
    Performance, performance, performance. Remember, when spending big bucks for a rig like this you are buying a receiver with all kinds of bells and whistles.

K2WH
    receiver sensitivity reached a level YEARS ago where it could not be improved as it brought in more noise. strong signal handling is also good enough on most modern rigs also.

Hope it ships in a big box, because if I buy one at those prices I'll have to live in it.

Quote Originally Posted by W7MLG View Post
    If you look at the analog meter there seems to be a 44 to 52 V scale, suggesting 50V finals, so that may not be quite the case. That could result in improved imd over typical 12V finals.
    That's the way I would design it if I were doing it. It would certainly explain the built in power supply.

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

I can hardly wait for the thread>>>> "Does anyone have the MARS mod for the new Kenwood TS-990S?"

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast