ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec

Default RFI

I can't believe it! My new Tentec 4020 QRP rig is interfering( 20 mtrs) with my wife's MAC.
    My MAC is 5ft from the rig es no problems. Her's is on a wireless modem. I suspect the modem is the prob. I put 2 chokes on qsb cables on her MAC but no help. Anyone have a suggestion?

When you say "Wireless Modem", I assume you mean WiFi - that's up around 2.4Ghz - not very close to 20mtrs.

If you were to describe what is happening to her mac - weird characters appearing, system locks, no network connection, etc - we'd have a better chance of offering some clues.

The modem is a Quest DSL. my computer is direct and the modem broadcasts upstairs to my wife's computer. The interference causes the screen to pull sideways. Sorry I don't know mush about the equipment- there is what is called Ethernet port on the modem and my computer. No Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by NM0L View Post
    The modem is a Quest DSL. my computer is direct and the modem broadcasts upstairs to my wife's computer. The interference causes the screen to pull sideways. Sorry I don't know mush about the equipment- there is what is called Ethernet port on the modem and my computer. No Wi-Fi

The RF maybe getting in the twisted pair DSL or Ethernet cables.

It normally would not just affect the screen.

Is the antenna above her computer ?
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

The computer is on the upper floor of the house about level and 30 ft. from my Gap vert. I may have solved the problem- I took a few more turns around the chokes. We are in the midst of thunderstorms now so have ant disconnected. Thanks for everyones help!

Quote Originally Posted by NM0L View Post
    Okay, if the screen is pulling sideways, it's got nothing to do with your modem - unless your modem is acting like an antenna and pulling RF into the computer.

It sounds to me like you need to choke ALL your cables: video, audio, power, etc... and see if that helps. If not, then the problem could just be that 20 meters is a "magic" band. I get a lot of weird effects in my house on 20 meters - stuff that doesn't happen on any other band.