ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post

Now, the Operation ENDS on May 15th at 2100Z. That is Tuesday. Maybe one of the good QRZeders along the way will allow me to stop by their house for a few minutes and use THEIR station to work them from the Midwest, where they are 59++ all the time. Anyone want to help a DESPERATE DXer who needs this for one of the LAST 5 countries in the world? We can even make Detours if needed, but not too far off course as it would add HUNDREDS of dollars to the gasoline bill, which already is projected at close to $1000 bucks! Yes, we COULD have flown ROUNDTRIP 5 times to Dayton and back for that!
    I hate to dispute your distorted view of the Midwest but I haven't even heard 7O6T here. I did talk to a local friend who has, he used "hamcap" to find the best time for Yemen on 20 meters. Then he used his remote station in the Colorado mountains!

Try from Crest for an extra day, the only loss is maybe mooching a few free drinks at one of the DX hospitably suites.
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    ...I talked to the Priest and he is going to officially BLESS the Town Car with Holy Water to make it SAFE for the 4400 mile ride...
    Yeah, but does that make safe for the other motorists? Such as from running off the road while gawking at all the antennas? Or dodging ramen noodle containers?
    "A Republic, if you can keep it" -- Ben Franklin

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by W4HAY View Post
    Yeah, but does that make safe for the other motorists? Such as from running off the road while gawking at all the antennas? Or dodging ramen noodle containers?
    It's not Pat's fault if some other drivers don't have the self discipline to keep their attention focused on their driving.....

When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

We have another SETBACK, this time a severe FINANCIAL one. The Town Car's AIR CONDX is KAPUT!
    And, from what I read on the WX page, NM, TX & OK is in the 90s these days! So I gotta get that fixed FAST! Especially with my good wife in the car. There is a LEAK somewhere that the FREON (or whatever it is called these days since the RBs outlawed Freon)escapes. Maybe that is how we get the OZONE HOLE! ALL that Freon leaking out from P.O.S. cars like mine. The BlackWidderMobile has been SHOT for 10-15 years! In fact, that is the MAIN reason I got a new one: To get AIR again, as using a FAN and driving with the Windows down SUCKS!

Unfortunately, I now have to UNLOAD all the highly valuable cargo already loaded for the trip so I can take it to the AC place. Leave it in there and the RBs in the repair shop would RIP IT ALL OFF!
    I don't have time to remove all the radios and antennas, so I just have to HOPE they will still be there when I go back to get the car. The rule is that if a car is left UNLOCKED for just a SECOND, some rotten RB will ROB IT!!!!

The AC SHOP opens at 8AM, so I gotta go over there and WALK BACK! That is well over a MILE, which is an INCREDIBLE HIKE for me. Maybe I can Beg a co-worker to come and get me. Walking from there to here, I have to go through a GAUNTLET of TRAMPS who will try and ROLL me for the few dollars of cash I carry. So that is to worry; hopefully the workers here will SAVE MY LIFE!

So, while I am at work here today, UNDOUBTEDLY the 7O will be 20 over 9 into here and calling CQ CALIFORNIA; and then the band will promptly CLOSE as soon as I get home from work!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

what year is your Town car? if it's newer than 1994 it takes R-134a and they sell it at autoparts stores you could probably top it off yourself if it worked last year
    "If it aint broke don't fix it. "If you can't fix it get a bigger hammer."

73,Tom

Hey W5WPL,
    Years back when she was filming The Net meet her at the Rose in SF and we slammed back a few longnecks, she is a great person! Sorry I don't have her number any longer.

The Town Car is in the shop. They confirmed all the coolant had leaked out, so there is a HOLE somewhere. WHERE the hole is depends on how EXPENSIVE it can get. If the hole is in the radiator or compressor, it could cost THOUSANDS!!!! I am PRAYING this is an honest shop and they won't GOUGE me as I really don't need a MASSIVE EXPENSE right now before Dayton. But it will be good to get it FIXED, as it will be a LONG HOT SUMMER, probably towards Late OCTOBER before it cools down, and I need a ICE COLD Car! Hopefully they can get it done TODAY as I have no way to get home from work otherwise. ONCE AGAIN, people wonder why I have to have TWO cars. just for instances like this, where I NEED the 2nd Town Car to get to work and back while the first one is in the shop. They have worked on it about an hour now, so they should be just about ready to call me up and SOCK IT TO ME!!! BOHICA TIME!!!!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

It all comes back to me now...... the reason I stopped buying American cars in 1980. Had a mild relapse in 1993 when I thought Ford had gotten its act together. Two years later, after numerous times sitting alongside the road with an engine that wouldn't start I went back to JA and DL cars. Not as big, heavy, and comfortable, but everything works after 12 years and 230k miles. Then I found out Ford knew for a long time they had a problem with some simple transistor circuit but if they admitted it they would have to recall a bunch of cars. Once in awhile I get a weak moment when I consider going back, then I remember the day the Ford dealer promised me he had fixed my problem. He replaced the fuel pump, etc. Five minutes after leaving the shop I was sitting with a dead engine on the Garden State Parkway with traffic zooming past me at 70 mph. Not fun. Never forgot it.

Wonderful WYOMING, Accept no substitutes.

Toyota Tundra. I own 2 of them. I was a Ford guy forever until I drove a Tundra. Spend a day in one, towing, interstate, offroad. You'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner.

Brad
    "Life is just like ridin' broncs, its a battle". Chris ledoux

Long live Steamboat

Pat:

You could always take the wife's Toyota, it will make the trip less expensive too. When you get back, you can buy your own Toyota so it will last longer. I wonder what it is with Town Cars and Air Conditioning.
    73,CBM DOS V3 1571,00,00,00

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast