ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

Quote Originally Posted by WS4B View Post
    Thank you everyone for the replies. I guess height depends on type of propagation. With single hop e-Skip being the most "common", I guess I will go with a 15-20' antenna height. Again I cannot erect an actual tower due to my HOA antenna restrictions. I am hopeful that a 5 element at that height will produce good single hop results. Since I will be spending most of my time looking for AM QSOs on 50.400, I would rather have the single hop opportunities that may have a longer proprogation duration than those of multi-hop which have a smaller condx window. Thanks again everyone.
    The band has to be really open for Es on AM. The S/N difference between AM and SSB is about 12 dB. So when the SSB ops are working stuff that's S2 or so, on AM you probably wouldn't hear that.

Also there's a LOT more SSB/CW activity on six than there is AM activity. However, it all happens and go for it!

I worked a lot in Cycle 20 (which peaked in '69-70) on six meter AM. I had both SSB and AM at the time, but there was still quite a lot of AM and it was great fun.

My AM rig at that time was a Clegg Zeus (120W carrier power, plate modulated AM) and NC-303 receiver with a Tecraft nuvistor converter, and a 6L beam on my parents' roof at about 35 feet. Worked a lot of stuff.

Most of the "DX" on six is around 50.110 on SSB, or below 50.100 on CW.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    Also there's a LOT more SSB/CW activity on six than there is AM activity. However, it all happens and go for it!

I totally understand that Steve, but being a die-hard AMer I want to give it a try this summer. This is one of the many wonderful things about our hobby in that we can try something totally different and see how it goes.

My expectations are realistic in anticipating a handful of contacts on a weekly basis between mid June and the early part of August. I'll be using an American made rice box (so to speak) in an Omni VII with the yagi. Nothing ventured nothing gained and I'll use the AMfone web site in an additional effort to generate some e-layer AM activity here in the SE US this summer on six.

I just returned to 6M after a 20+ year absence. I was in a hurry to get my new 4 el HyGain Yagi up and stuck it on a mast below my 10M Yagi at about 25 ft.
    With QRP on SSB & CW, I Have only heard some local and Aurora DX signals so far.
    I worked some of the locals (up to 40 miles away) and tried to work some AU answering several CQs but no luck there.
    The only station I worked outside the metro area was 90 miles away and he HAD A 125 FT TOWER.
    Higher is always better for good results on VHF !

height will produce good single hop results. Since I will be spending most of my time looking for AM QSOs on 50.400, I would rather have the single hop opportunities that may have a longer proprogation duration than those of multi-hop which have a smaller condx window. Thanks again everyone.[/QUOTE]
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Quote Originally Posted by K8JD View Post
    I just returned to 6M after a 20+ year absence. I was in a hurry to get my new 4 el HyGain Yagi up and stuck it on a mast below my 10M Yagi at about 25 ft.
    With QRP on SSB & CW, I Have only heard some local and Aurora DX signals so far.
    I worked some of the locals (up to 40 miles away) and tried to work some AU answering several CQs but no luck there.
    The only station I worked outside the metro area was 90 miles away and he HAD A 125 FT
    I am just curious if your return to six meters has been since last summer? I ask because it is my understanding that six meters experiences two e-skip seasons. There is a minor one around Christmas/New Year's, but a much stronger/longer season during the summer months. Thus you may have not been back during a long E-layer season. I subscribe to DX Sherlock with the e-mail alerts. I am already seeing condx on six becoming frequent with e-layer propagation clouds. My upcoming six meter venture is mostly centered on the oncoming summer e-Skip season(s) ending in August. I say that because I am sadly fearful that Cycle 24 just won't produce the solar numbers to provide F-layer propagation on six, and we may have to wait for Cycle 25 for that.
    Last edited by WS4B; 05-06-2012 at 04:44 AM.

I've been on six since 1966 and my observation is the peak Es season is generally mid-to-late May through about early-to-mid July. It's actually a pretty short "season" typically lasting about six weeks.

Es can happen any day at any hour, though. The "peak season" is only that, when it occurs most often with most intensity.

I'm only on CW/SSB and don't even have AM capabilities on 6m anymore, but I might build or pick up something for that. My amps work on any mode, I really just need an exciter. Good luck this season, it will be starting very soon, probably within 1-2 weeks.

well, I am only about 150 miles south of you,...... salt water on 3 sides DOES make difference!!

my neighbor abt 5 mies away has an m squared antenna, don't get me wrong, they are good antennas on six, but,.... he just can't understand how my home made 6 element quad hears better than his yagi.

I don't tell him that I can raise or lower my quad on the tower by just pushing a button.

Much of what can be heard/worked depends more on location specifics than on the antenna, for sure.

I could have ten stacked 6L quads on six, at 4500' above sea level in Gorman, CA and would be able to work very little from there, since that's in a depression surrounded by much higher hills in almost all directions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2