Callsign

Thread: Amp help needed...I can't finish this project but I need it.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-rl

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Amp help needed...I can't finish this project but I need it.

Anyone who would be able to help me out here would be appreciated. I'll fairly compensate a well versed VHF amp person if they will finish my project. Again, I will pay you or trade you, whatever works, for the finishing up of the little toy. I realized I was not gonna do it when I tried to populate a 2N2222 keying transistor to the board.

To be clear, I only need the remaining 1-2 hrs of work on this puppy. I'll gladly send the chassis to you, but beyond the RF transistor needing heat sinking for tests, you don't have to do any more. My problem is I just cannot see the foil traces on the input/output circuitry. If you finish it up, test it on some scrap heatsink or whatever, and mark what does what on the board, that will be fine. I just need, in bigger letters, where something or somewhat is supposed to go.

I have a good trilectric taxicab box to house it in.

This is the N4LTA 6 meter amp from QST about maybe early 1990's. The device is nearly done and now I have run up against a neurological problem that can't be solved without some surgery.

I'd love to have this unit ready for warmer weather and hopefully to warm my antenna better than the TS-680 does.

I am not a kludger, my work is neat and not based in ignorance. Anyone could follow the board with no trouble, hand in hand with the schematic.

I have a parts layout guide, schematic, and also an extra bare board, which the person helping me can have, gratis. The board is a FAR circuits unit.

http://www.qsl.net/k0kp/hbrew/6m_amp/schematic.html
    This is the amp as shown in QST

More details shown here http://www.qsl.net/k0kp/hbrew/100w.html
    I'd really appreciate this help, I just can't see enough up close to do it.

I will also gladly add some of the cheap parts I bought in multiple quantities for this board. To make a shorter story, I bought up enough discrete parts to make another amp. (except the transistor and compression caps.)

I am easy to reach. Just use n8wwm at ARRL DOT net

73 Doug
    Last edited by N8WWM; 05-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.
    It would really help new amateurs who want to build antennas to find an older copy of the ARRL Antenna book. There are too few explanations and too little data in the current editions. By old I mean say pre-1989. Cruise hamfest tables and Ebay, there are plenty available pretty cheap.

Doug, that's a pretty easy thing to do.
    Is there no one local that can help you out?
    If you don't get it completed in time, there are a number of 6m solidstate amps for sale in the classifieds that are rated to 160 watts depending on the mode you use and the driving power you have.
    Btw, I know what it's like not to be able to see that well as I had just assembled a unit that uses all surface mount parts.
    Got a board holder, a large magifying glass, lots of unshaded light and small iron to be able to see what I was doing and a pair of tweezers with rubber nonslip sleeves to hold on to.
    I came accross a deal to use a computer camera and a program to display the work large on screen. It might be helpfull sometime if you do enough projects.
    If no one closer to you steps up, I would do it for you.
    Call and address is good here if you look it up.
    73 and good luck.
    Ken.

Ken,
    I know if I asked a local ham to help me out I could get the help. That's not the issue. I have at least a couple of friends who would do it. The problem is that they probably would refuse payment. While this may seem like a nice problem to have, one can go to that well too often.

In 2010 and 2011, when I nearly croaked a couple of times, my friends came to bat for me. Now that I am quite a bit better I just don't want anyone to feel like they "have" to do it.

This is likely to be my last project involving small part soldering, not to mention surface mount goodies.

73 and thanks a bunch
    Doug
    It would really help new amateurs who want to build antennas to find an older copy of the ARRL Antenna book. There are too few explanations and too little data in the current editions. By old I mean say pre-1989. Cruise hamfest tables and Ebay, there are plenty available pretty cheap.

I'd go for the local help and if they refuse payment, give them a coupon for a free dinner at a local restaurant or something. Just slip it in their hand, and insist.

It works.

Local help is much better than shipping stuff off.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Doug -

You have some real talent in your area ... maybe you have never met them.
    Don't get thick headed and turn down assistance --- that is Non Sequitur !

Miltronix Sales & Service, owned by Rick Mish is in Toledo, OH
    http://www.dxing.com/r390/mish.htm

Rich is usually very busy with his business, BUT he may be able to suggest another
    local Toledo resource (or a local club) for assistance with your project.

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

Thanks to everyone who spoke up, either by private email or here. As usual, QRZ.com gets a solution.

73 Doug

Quote Originally Posted by N8WWM View Post
    Thanks to everyone who spoke up, either by private email or here. As usual, QRZ.com gets a solution.

73 Doug
    If they won't take money.. food/beverage works just as well. I have friends who refuse payment and I've always refused payment from friends. A few that helped got some nice gift certificates to some restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by KB2FCV View Post
    If they won't take money.. food/beverage works just as well. I have friends who refuse payment and I've always refused payment from friends. A few that helped got some nice gift certificates to some restaurants.
    That's a good thought.

73 Doug

It's awfully hard to refuse a nice pepperoni pizza that you arrange
    to have delivered on the last day of the project!

Good luck with your project and I hope that
    your health problems improve also.

73, Ken AD6KA

Right back at you, AD6KA. Another stellar suggestion. My problem is I'd eat 2/3 of the pizza.