Callsign
ad: radiowavz
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Output Problem On Yaesu 450D? Need help.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

Default Power Output Problem On Yaesu 450D? Need help.

I just received a Yaesu 450D and I have a problem. I'm using it with a G5RV Jr., strung across the top of a six foot wooden fence. I can set the power output to 100 watts and set the Dim Meter on PO for power output. I pushed the 'Tune' button so the ANT diagram is blinking, meaning the internal tuner should be on and working. When I key down, the Power Output meter doesn't even go to 1 on the meter and my power supply shows I'm barely using any amps. I'm guessing this means that Im' not transmitting for some reason. I hooked the antenna up to an SWR meter and it barely moves the dials, which I'm assuming means I've essentially got no output. I know the internal tuner on the 450D will only work for SWRs less then 3, but how do I know that's the problem?

My question is, has the radio shut down transmit for protection for some reason (High SWR), or do I have a problem with transmit on my new radio? Any way to tell?

Depends on the band, but a G5RV will have a higher SWR than 3:1 on some (many? most?) bands.
    Sounds to me like it's limiting itself. When you push the tune button do the relays click once or twice then stop while the antenna symbol keeps blinking? If so then it's outside the 3:1 spec.
    The relays normally click quite a few times (like 5 seconds worth or so) while it tries different combinations to match the impedance.

Get a dummy load and test it with that.

On 20 meters, yes, the relays kick on and then after a few seconds the antenna symbol stops blinking. But on 40 meters, the relays don't even kick on.

Right, that's because on every band besides 20m, the antenna has a SWR of more than 3:1, which the internal transmatch cannot match.
    You need an external matcher for a G5RV to be used on bands other than 20m.

Also, you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by K5BRY
    When I key down, the Power Output meter doesn't even go to 1 on the meter and my power supply shows I'm barely using any amps.
    If you're using SSB, then you won't show any output power because there is none when you aren't speaking; thus the power supply would show minimal current draw as you'd only be using about 1-2 A more than receive since the PA isn't 'doing it's thing', as it were.
    If you were in CW mode and keyed down you would have full output and power draw, which would be around 18-20 A.

No offense intended, but it appears you're new, so I'm just guessing you don't (or didn't until now) understand the power draw when in SSB mode nor have much info about a G5RV other than maybe hearing something like "it's a great all-band antenna", so you bought one from somewhere not knowing that you'd need an external transmatch.
    I'm also just guessing that you were using SSB mode, as most people don't know Morse code when they first get licensed now.

If I've gone wrong somewhere with my guesses, let me know and maybe you really do have a problem and we can figure it out.

K0SPN -- You're right, all of this is new to me. I passed my technician license in February and my general in March. I just got my first HF radio (450D) yesterday. Now that you mention some of this, I remember reading about the power draw on SSB when I studied for the license exams. No offense taken here and I very much appreciate your help. I'll make my way down to the local radio supply store today to look for an antenna tuner.

f you set the rig for CW and have it set up properly you should see your full output when you press your key down ( NOT your mic button) then read SWR. Run the intertnal tuner and I suspect things will work ok. Read your manual Cover-to-Cover a few times.
    Have fun>
    Quote Originally Posted by K5BRY View Post
    K0SPN -- You're right, all of this is new to me. I passed my technician license in February and my general in March. I just got my first HF radio (450D) yesterday. Now that you mention some of this, I remember reading about the power draw on SSB when I studied for the license exams. No offense taken here and I very much appreciate your help..
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Ham radio never dumbed down, not at all.

I'm trying to imagine any ham in the 1960s not knowing you have to modulate to create output power on SSB, but try as I might, I can't think of any.

It's all good.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Steve, it's easy to look down from years of experience and say that. <grin>

I'll bet that like me, you probably had a real elmer too, right?

Hey OP: No harm done, but while you are at the Ham store, buy the ARRL Antenna book, and maybe an in-line SWR meter. You have lots to learn about antennas, and reading about how they work is a good way to start.

Another thought, if you decide to buy an auto tuner I suggest you buy an LDG, their AT-100Pro and 200Pro [may now be Pro 2's?] are excellent and will work with ANY radio you buy in the future. When you 'tune' with any auto tuner, you turn the power down and use AM or CW [that saves you having to whistle for 5 seconds into the mic] then switch back to SSB and talk - these smart tuners are great as they learn your antennas and re-tune very quickly. I've had nothing but good experiences with the LDG products.

AND, lastly, if you want that G5RV to work, you are going to have to actually get it up in the air a ways - it's ok to do an inverted V - just get the legs spread out about 120 degrees if you can, center up 30 to 35' and you will be astonished by the difference.

Do you belong to your local club?
    You pays your money and takes your chances: The contents of this posting are personal opinions. Persons trying to find motive, plot, logic, truth or beauty will be punshed severely under law.

Quote Originally Posted by KG6WOU View Post
    Steve, it's easy to look down from years of experience and say that. <grin>

I'll bet that like me, you probably had a real elmer too, right?
    Nope. My "elmer" was the Public Library, and a lot of those books referenced engineering texts that weren't at the Public Library, so I rode my bike to the engineering library at NCE (now New Jersey Institute of Technology) and as a visitor I couldn't check out a book, but I could sit there and read them. And I did that, probably once or twice a week. The bike ride was 9 miles each way, and my parents never knew.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

When you say you pushed the Tune button did you hold in pushed in for a second or so? A quick push only engages/disengages the tuner and it may be sitting on an "older" tuned position which is not correct for the present setup. Try pushing and holding the Tune button for at least a second and it should make some steady noise for a couple of seconds while searching for a tuned condition. Now if the antenna icon is flashing the tuner could not match the antenna system and the rig may not transmit.
    Never do anything you don't want to explain to the ambulance technicians.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast