ad: TinyPaddle-1

MARS Crossband Operations May 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WD4CXW, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD4CXW

WD4CXW Ham Member QRZ Page

ANNUAL CROSSBAND MILITARY/AMATEUR RADIO
    COMMUNICATIONS TEST

The Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard will conduct crossband tests on May 12, 2012. This will give military and amateur radio operators the ability to communicate with each other. Military stations will transmit on military frequencies, and listen on amateur frequencies. During their transmission, the military station will state what amateur radio frequency it is receiving messages. The amateur radio operator will transmit replies on that amateur radio frequency and listen for replies on the appropriate military frequency.

The ex USS Yorktown (CV-!0) will be be on the air from 8 AM to 12PM EDT and will use the ship’s callsign NWKJ. The dial frequencies USS Yorktown will be transmitting on are:

4010.0 khz LSB
    7348.0 khz LSB
    14467.0 khz USB
    21758.5 khz USB

A complete listing of military stations participating, together with details on how to get QSL cards and certificates for copying the Secretary of Defense message can be obtain by going to the following website:

http//www.navymars.org/ and clicking on “broadcasts” then “Chief MARS Broadcasts” and reading reading the CHNAVMARCORMARS BCST AF DAY CROSSBAND TEST
    (05A-12, 05B-12, 05C-12 & 05D-12)

2. OK1CLD

OK1CLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Can non-US hams participate?

3. AB1OD

AB1OD Guest

As I understand it, DX stations can work the military stations.

4. AA1VX

AA1VX Ham Member QRZ Page

Has Anybody ever received an NWKJ QSL?

Dave AA1VX

5. AB8CL

AB8CL Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, the only QSL I ever gOt is from the guys and nice letter from the Commander at Ft. Huachuca, AZ (they must know it's the one I want anyhow). I have never received a QSL from any of the others. Hope this year we get some others.
    73 de Keith AB8CL

6. AA1VX

AA1VX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've received QSL's from all of the crossband stations except NWKJ, but often I have to work stations each year for several years before I'll finally get a card. Today I did hear back from one of the NWKJ ops from this year's event and he promised to check with the state MARS director responsible for sending out cards. Sometimes, in order to get a card, you need to send one of your QSL's to the addresses they now provide in the annual list of stations.

Dave AA1VX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.