ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Default PLC Yaesu

Hello
    Has anyone gained control of a YAESU station via Modbus or Profibus.

We are making an antenna switch controlled by a PLC (WAGO and mitsubishi Q) but would like the frequency in the program.
    for switching of antennas and amplifier.

All the best
    Jens
    OZ2JFV

I've interfaced an FT-817nd to an Arduino Uno via the CAT connector to get the frequency, mode and status of the radio. No big deal. Some of the owner's manuals have the CAT commands listed -- for other radios there is a separate document available.

Hello
    Thanks for your answer
    I actually even look at an Arduino board.
    But I have no experience with writing programs for them.
    Have you made any transfer of data you are reading for Modbus TCP?

Best

Jens OZ2JFV

Not familiar with any PLC stuff. I read / write serially to / from the radio at TTL levels and process and display the data on a parallel LCD. There is probably some documentation on interfacing the Arduino with some PLC stuff -- worth taking a look.

Hello
    Thanks for your reply.
    Would it be possible to get a copy of your code, adultery to see how it works. ?
    what hardware are you using?
    Thank you very much for your help

All the best and good DX

Jens OZ2JFV

The radios won't talk Modbus or Profibus. I suppose you could encapsulate the serial into a Modbus packet but would be a bit silly. It's easier to talk plain serial (RS232) to them.

It wouldn't be too difficult to wire the outputs to some relays for antenna switching. It would be neat to hook up a motor with an encoder so that could do some positioning of a rotor. Of course all of this can be done in a cheaper Arduino unless you have a PLC lying around (I have 2 SLC 504s waiting for a project)

It may be easier to talk Modbus from the PC to the PLC since Modbus' documentation is out there and there are some open source programs to talk Modbus RTU to the PLC from a PC.

Good luck in your endeavour
    Electricity takes ALL paths back to the source, not just the least resistive. -Guido

First thing's first. What Yaesu rig are you trying to communicate with?
    Hopefully you have already read this but it's here for those that want to know what is going on; http://modbus.org/docs/PI_MBUS_300.pdf.
    Gary