Callsign
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Recommendations for a dipole? ...

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

[QUOTE=K9ZMD;2539923]
    Quote Originally Posted by WA3UCR View Post
    Did we meet in 1973 ??[/QUOTE ] Bill, I was in San Antonio, TX, at that time. Had we met then, I already had a huge collection of salvaged copper wire I'd have gladly let you pick over.
    Gary,
    I would have taken you up on that! I thought I had done a good job constructing my first 40 meter dipole. But, I was getting very erratic SWR readings - especially when the wind was blowing. Frustrated, I called my Elmer and he came over to check it out. I learned that day of the importance of making good mechanical connections between the coax and the dipole and it needs to be soldered! So my first attempt as a teen was not very successful - but I learned a couple of valuable lessons.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by K9ZMD View Post
    Yes, if "cheap" is the priority, then you can't beat salvaged wire, scrap plastic insulators, and reclaimed TV twin lead. Not to mention, that ultra-low cost yields an antenna that would likely be easier to work with - and probably outperform - a G5RV. Too bad someone didn't reply earlier to bump Christopher's confidence level up a notch or two. It only takes a little nudge to overcome "I'm not ready to build anything myself yet."
    Yeah, totally agree with you on this. However, it's understandable that a new ham wants to get on the air with a minimum of fuss. My Elmer built my first antenna. It's okay to not learn antenna design (or just experimenting with wires) until someone gets some operating time under their belt.

However, I would suggest going to a hamfest and snapping up copper wire and twinlead. I just made a great inverted vee with 300 ohm twinlead. All together, the antenna cost <$10 (and that's too much to pay). It's good to just have random spools of wire lying around.

The proof is thousands of teens who've successfully done it with no prior experience and less than two quarters to rub together in their pocket.
    I'm 32 and I have less than two quarters to rub together. Anyway, you're right that you don't need much to get on the air.

73, Jordan

DX-CC was my second antenna and it was awesome. First was a S9 31' vertical which was ok. Third was a IAC 40 meter double bazooka which was great. Then I moved to beams. I would say go with the DX-CC.
    ---
    Larry Snyder, HK2LS, [URL="http://www.rn.org"]www.RN.org[/URL]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3