ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Default The Icom-7000 with a Comet GP-15

Just got my Tech license and setting up my first station! But I'm a little confused as to whether or not I need an antenna duplexer. One multi-band transceiver, one tri-band antenna for now. Since the Icom-7000 supports duplex, is an external antenna needed? If I don't get one, can I only operate in simplex mode? Your help is much appreciated, the antenna is expected at the doorstep tomorrow, yea!

Thanks,

KF5PPR

Occom, CT a village or borough of the city of Norwich CT

You do not need a duplexer to utilize 2m and 70cm on the same antenna, that particular feature is built in to the 7k. However, if you want to use the 6m capability of that antenna, you will need a duplexer that combines the 6m/HF to the UHF/VHF output to one antenna. That, or a 2 port antenna switch that will switch the 2 outputs of the radio to a single coax going to the antenna.

IMHO being the radio you have (a very nice one I might add) if you have the funds you should buy a HF/6m antenna there many out there. Then you can use all of your license privileges that you have now. You have 10m phone 28.3-28.5 to work for HF and some CW on several HF bands there is DX to be worked on 2/6/10m SSB quite a bit this last week in fact.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

If you want to use all 3 bands of that antenna, you'll need this.
    "If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

"He's dead, Jim. You take his Tricorder and I'll get his wallet."

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Thanks everybody for your replies! I think I'll go with the MX62M duplexer. Since I need to wait on the HF antenna for a while, might as well take advantage of all the antenna I got! In fact, before joining this forum, I researched the topic on qrz.com here http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...nd-Comet-GP-15 My current plans are to upgrade to General next month, get on the air in the meantime, then check out an appropriate HF antenna.

Thanks,
    KF5PPR