ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Default farewell to Heathkit

Well it looks like Heathkit, such as it is, is now offically gone. I had heard that they were even trying to get back into the kit business a few months ago , and have been studying their DC,AC, and semiconductor home electronics study courses ( already had their analog trainer--a neat piece of equipment ) which they were still selling until last month, but when i called about their electronics circuits course book i was informed that they were gone and out of business for good by the person on the phone in tech support as of last month. He sounded rather sad about it and said that "they" had been trying to get Heath to do something for years and believes that they made a bad decsion ,but nothing that they could do. 1929 to 2012. KC4LNX

If they're really, really, really gone (all parts of the Corporation) maybe BAMA and others can put Heath manuals back on line again.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    If they're really, really, really gone (all parts of the Corporation) maybe BAMA and others can put Heath manuals back on line again.
    no, the RB who bought the works also bought all the rights to them, so Heathkit gave them up. He has full control over them now and is holding them hostage so he can make a buck. Most fortunately, I have ALL the Ham radio products manuals in original.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Seems to me they were not trying hard enough.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

Nobody builds kits anymore.

It is cheaper to buy them from cheap labor builders.

It does suck.

What a bummer.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post

It does suck.

What a bummer.
    Yeah, apart from the difficulty of casual home assembly using high-tech parts; just sorting, counting and individually packaging components for kit assembly has got to be more expensive than what a professional assembly house would charge for automated volume assembly of the same circuit board. In the end, you get an equivalent kit version of an assembled MFJ product for twice the price.

I cut my teeth on Heathkits and am sorry to see them go, if they're gone.

Building Heathkits is what prompted me to homebrew most of my stations in the 60s and 70s. I even built their Heath-Thomas electronic organ and a 25" color television, none of which were cheaper than factory assembled units but a whole lot more educational.

My "SB line" kits (SB-301/401/600/200/HP-23/HM-102) worked more DX than I could shake a stick at and building them all was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Best part was, once you're done, you know exactly how to align and repair them, forever...not a feature found with factory assembled products.

Building Heathkits is what taught me the resistor/capacitor color codes. To the day I can look at a "banded" resistor from ten feet away and know its value just fine in one second. Heath taught you such stuff.

I'm very sad if they're really gone...rumor was they were getting back into the ham radio business. Maybe not.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post

It does suck.

What a bummer.
    BUNK

still lots of kits

Elecraft
    Small Wonder Labs
    Hendricks QRP kits and others

also lots of kits from Europe

last 4 years ive built a few dozen QRP kits

anybody
    that thinks Amateur Radio kits are dead
    is not looking

dit dit

mac

"farewell to Heathkit"

HeathKit has been gone for a long time. Heathkit is HeathKit in name only. Just like RCA, you can still buy an RCA TV. However some company in Korea owns the rights the the RCA name. They did not buy the company the only bought the name. This company and their products have no relationship to the RCA we all grew up with. RCA Just like HeathKit are long gone!!!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast