ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Hitch Screwdriver Mount Best ideas For Better Performance

Have had my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee to several people that have installed mounts for Screwdriver antennas. After 3 different people have basically told me the same thing no good way for a frame or side hitch attach point for a rear side mount antenna the only option is a receiver hitch mount.

Bought one of the SS ones from Tarheel with the fold down mount to clear the rear hatch on the SUV when needed. So now I have a less than desirable mount and need to know how to best optimize this mount for the best preformance. Idea's from those who have had to use these are welcomed as to what they did to improve this mount being I'm stuck with it.

Another note I do park the Jeep in a garage so will remove the 6' whip before hand and fold over an NMO 2/440 roof mounted antenna. Was wondering how far away I might get away with the mounting of it from the HF antenna without interference to either one.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

A photo of your install would have been nice.

I have photos in the gallery on my web site which depict VHF and HF antenna practically on top of one another. It may work, but personally I wouldn't suggest it. You do what you have to do, but if it were mine, I use as much clearance as I could get. There are a bunch of reasons why, and I suspect you've already thought of most of them Fred.
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    http://www.k0bg.com

Alan it looks like I can get about 3' at best till it gets to close to the sunroof for it to open and that's keeping it centered on the top of the SUV. I'm sure you have saw this type of mount before it is offset after it comes out of the hitch a 90* to the right then a small 90* opposite the other that the fold-down mount goes on. The receiver portion that goes in has a large stainless nut welded on the inside the tube and a SS bolt that goes into the hitch with a star washer and tightens to make good ground contact and no rattle ever.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

I have. As you're aware, I don't like low mounting for a variety of reasons, but there are ways to improve the issue. You might do a search for K7KKP in the Other Installs album.
    Alan Applegate, KBG

Thanks Alan I'll have a look.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

Alan
    Do you know where this mounting piece comes from in the K7KKP pictures, or something similar?
    K7KKP006.jpg

I'd like to find something like that with a 3/8 24 stud for my BB3. Then it would sit flat and flush on the mount. All I could do was use a nut on the top of the mount so the BB3 sits on top of the nut which I have never cared for.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

I believe those were made by Ron Douglass, NI7J, who owns Scorpion.
    Alan Applegate, KBG

Quote Originally Posted by K0BG View Post
    I believe those were made by Ron Douglass, NI7J, who owns Scorpion.
    I looked there but didn't find it. I'll drop him an email.
    It's probably a pricey little item.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

I'm not sure. Ron is always doing something for someone, and he just might make one for you too. Sure doesn't hurt to ask!
    Alan Applegate, KBG

Alan

I have ben reading on your web page for over week now in depth and still haven't came close to finish reading it all. At times seems like information overload IYO are the DXengineering chokes really a must have for the coax and control lines, if so I will order them tomorrow.

Short rundown on what I'm installing all using control heads mounted up front. TS-480HX, IC-2820/w D-Star and GPS have ext. cable kits for both. Antennas 2/440m Diamond NR770HB NMO, Tarheel 200 with Turbo Tuner. Contacted Jeep and there are no known issues with amateur radio installs in this model year.

Do you see anything that I still need to order before starting this install, I have nothing available locally.

Thanks
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast